Draft Guru's Annual 2004 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Well, here it is. Took me a pretty long time to make some of these selections. I don't have the time to write commentary for each pick, but if you'd like an explanation, feel free to ask.

1. Washington - Alexander Ovechkin, LW, Dynamo Moscow (Russia)
2. Pittsburgh - Evgeni Malkin, C, Magnitogorsk (Russia)
3. Chicago - Rostislav Olesz, C, HC Vitkovice (Czech Republic)
4. Columbus - Cam Barker, D, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
5. Phoenix - Marek Schwarz, G, Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
6. Rangers - Andrew Ladd, LW, Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
7. Florida - Lauri Tukonen, RW, Espoo Blues (Finland)
8. Carolina - Robbie Schremp, C, London Knights (OHL)
9. Anaheim - A.J. Thelen, D, Michigan State University (CCHA)
10. Atlanta - Alexander Radulov, RW, Tver (Russia)
11. Los Angeles - Alvaro Montoya, G, University of Michigan (CCHA)
12. Minnesota - Alexandre Picard, LW, Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL)
13. Buffalo - Ladislav Smid, D, Liberec HV (Czech Republic)
14. Edmonton - Wojtek Wolski, LW, Brampton Battalian (OHL)
15. Nashville - Drew Stafford, RW, University of North Dakota (WCHA)
16. Islanders - Andrej Meszaros, D, Trencin (Slovakia)
17. St Louis - Devan Dubnyk, G, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
18. Montreal - Kyle Chipchura, C, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
19. Calgary - Lauri Korpikoski, LW, TPS Turku Jr. (Finland)
20. Dallas - Boris Valabik, D, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
21. Colorado - Roman Voloshenko, LW, Soviet Wings (Russia)
22. New Jersey - Kirill Lyamin, D, Central Army (Russia)
23. Ottawa - Mike Green, D, Saskatoon (WHL)
24. Rangers - Wes O'Neill, D, Notre Dame (CCHA)
25. Edmonton - Enver Lisin, RW, Saratov (Russia)
26. Vancouver - Petteri Nokelainen, C, SaiPa Lappeenranta (Finland)
27. Washington - Dave Bolland, C, London (OHL)
28. San Jose - Bruce Graham, C, Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
29. Washington - Jeff Schultz, D, Calgary (WHL)
30. Tampa Bay - Corey Schneider, G, Andover Academy

Feel free to flame away. :mad:

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Descent Mock Draft, i think if Phoenix will draft a goalie at #5 they will draft Montoya, thats just because i have head some where that they have been spending alot of time with him.

I like Lisin going to the Oilers, but i doubt he'll fall that far in the draft, but if the Oils get Wolski and Lisin i'll be one happy camper.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Draft Guru said:
22. New Jersey - Kirill Lyamin, D, Central Army (Russia)
Out of curiosity, why is it that you think the Devils would select Lyamin over both Green and O'Neil?

Is he that good?

thestonedkoala

And why Picard over Stafford? Stafford is a hometown kid and could work well in Minnesota.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Yellowcard said:
Out of curiosity, why is it that you think the Devils would select Lyamin over both Green and O'Neil?

Is he that good?

The Devils always seem to take one out of left field. Lyamin is skilled, he's just suffered some injuries this year, which have hurt his ranking. Injured prospects don't seem to scare the Devils (see Adrian Foster).

Lyamin, Green and O'Neil all have question marks. I just think Lyamin is more of a Devils' pick.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
thestonedkoala said:
And why Picard over Stafford? Stafford is a hometown kid and could work well in Minnesota.

There's some questions about Stafford's offensive potential. I don't personally see him as a top 10 pick like most people, I think he'll drop into the mid-teens, which is where I have him. I like Picard a lot better, personally. Picard is no chopped liver, central scouting does have him 3rd in NA, whereas Stafford is 7th.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
#2 said:
Descent Mock Draft, i think if Phoenix will draft a goalie at #5 they will draft Montoya, thats just because i have head some where that they have been spending alot of time with him.

I like Lisin going to the Oilers, but i doubt he'll fall that far in the draft, but if the Oils get Wolski and Lisin i'll be one happy camper.

Well Lisin has great speed and is a sniper, but hasn't shown he can consistently score. Plus he's a bit of a cherry-picker and that may shy away some teams.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I think you'll hit the Sharks pick if Graham is still around at 28. He has been my choice for the Sharks for the past three months (Vik Alexandrov is another guy I wouldnt mind at 28) and I've heard that the Sharks have been leaning heavily towards him with their pick should he be there. Thats all rumor but it came from a guy whos word I trust.

Schwarz at #5 is a very bold pick considering the Yotes have Leveneu and I not sold on Marek. But you can never have too many goaltending prospects. I'd rather have Tukonen though.

thestonedkoala

Well I'm not really sold on Q guys because of the last couple of them we've had...:mad:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Best mock I've seen all year. I see Stafford going to Minnesota, though. Otherwise, it's nearly flawless.

I can see Phoenix taking Schwarz. With Comrie, Langkow, Doan, Nagy, Taffe, Sjostrom, etc. they've got good forwards, and with Morris, Mara, Tanabre. Knyazev, etc., they've got good defensemen. I've heard they like Montoya, but it's pretty much a wash between the two.

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
thestonedkoala said:
Well I'm not really sold on Q guys because of the last couple of them we've had...:mad:

If you're talking about Bouchard, he's got skill to kill he just needs to use it better at the NHL level. Besides, look at, say, Ryder. Less skill than P-M but he broke out this year at 24...Bouchard could have a breakout year any time now...

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
The only thing is that I see Carolina taking Thelen.

If it goes well for me, it will have your draft up until Carolina, who will take Thelen, then Anaheim will take Radulov, and Schremp can go to Atlanta. That'd make me one happy camper on draft day.

But, yeah, best mock I've seen thus far.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
kovalchuk17atl said:

If it goes well for me, it will have your draft up until Carolina, who will take Thelen, then Anaheim will take Radulov, and Schremp can go to Atlanta. That'd make me one happy camper on draft day.

I agree, Great Job!

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Good Job but i haven't heard a thing about the guy you have the canucks Selecting...any info on him as i would think that they would go with a RW or Defensemen as we don't have any good RW or D prospects but are loaded up the whazoo with Center prospects

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
kovalchuk17atl said:

Pretty solid, however I don't think the Blues will pick up a goalie, even if all are available at 17.

Lisin, Chipchura, and Korpikoski are on the Blues radar right now IMO, and Smid if he falls, and maybe Green. Possibly trading down to pick up Kasper, or trading up from the 2nd round.

thestonedkoala

No but the Wild think the same way. Kid is from hometown, we pick him. Also we need another PF since Burns was moved back to D. PF and sniper is what we're looking for. I'm not sold on Picard because of Bouchard, Berzins...

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Why would dallas take Volobik over Green with Skating challenged players like Erskine, Jancevski Nickerson already in the system

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Hero of Tragedy said:
I think you'll hit the Sharks pick if Graham is still around at 28. He has been my choice for the Sharks for the past three months (Vik Alexandrov is another guy I wouldnt mind at 28) and I've heard that the Sharks have been leaning heavily towards him with their pick should he be there. Thats all rumor but it came from a guy whos word I trust.

That's interesting to hear. I'll admit I've never seen Graham play and I don't know much about him, but I was reading his scouting report and he seems like the type of player the Sharks seem to like. Also, the fact that he is teammates with Bernier means the Sharks probably have seen him quite a few times. Glad to hear I may get one right ;)

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
thestonedkoala said:
Kid is from hometown, we pick him. Also we need another PF since Burns was moved back to D.

So just because a kid is from Minnesota, the Wild should pick him?

By that theory, the Tampa Bay Lightning should take someone from Florida then?

Also, hockey drafts are not like basketball or football. Most of the time you do not draft for need. Because Minnesota needs a power forward doesn't necessarily mean they are out to get one.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Legionnaire said:
I hope to God the Kings don't pass up Picard if he's available.

Really? I can't see LA passing up on Montoya or Schwarz if one of them is available at 11. It just makes sense for them to pick a goalie.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Starsdude said:
Why would dallas take Volobik over Green with Skating challenged players like Erskine, Jancevski Nickerson already in the system

Because IMO, Valabik has a higher upside than Green. Valabik has drawn comparisons to Derian Hatcher. Why wouldn't the Stars want him?

Green is a bit on the small side and more of a two-way defenseman. I just think Valabik fits in with their system a lot more.

thestonedkoala

Actually it DOESN'T make any sense for them to pick up a goaltender. Just people assume they are. They have other holes then goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad