Draft Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
The Draft guide is $40.

The $200+ means a yearly subscription (an in depth issue each month + the draft guide)...

does anyone get the yearly subscription?? i got the draft guide last year and plan to get it again this year, but i was curious what people thought about the yearly supscription and if it is worth the $$

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
NYR469: It's all relative but I'll say this, I was not dissapointed at all the first time I got the Red Line draft guide. The yearly subscription isn't such an easy call. There are a few months where the issue is really flimsy but there will be other months where the issue will be chock full of info and you'll feel good about the subscription. One thing you'll notice is that the issues can be a bit repetitive. There might only be two or three blurbs written about a particular player over the course of the year and sometimes, they'll look identical. Now I understand that if you're writing about the same players, that it makes sense to see some of the same stuff written about them. Last thing, a lot of what you'll probably want to read will be available on the USA Today column for free. So what it really comes down to is whether the stuff that's not available for free is worth the price? Only you can answer that question. I'd suggest you go for it and make your own decision.

Dr_Chimera*

Chief said:
NYR469: It's all relative but I'll say this, I was not dissapointed at all the first time I got the Red Line draft guide. The yearly subscription isn't such an easy call. There are a few months where the issue is really flimsy but there will be other months where the issue will be chock full of info and you'll feel good about the subscription. One thing you'll notice is that the issues can be a bit repetitive. There might only be two or three blurbs written about a particular player over the course of the year and sometimes, they'll look identical. Now I understand that if you're writing about the same players, that it makes sense to see some of the same stuff written about them. Last thing, a lot of what you'll probably want to read will be available on the USA Today column for free. So what it really comes down to is whether the stuff that's not available for free is worth the price? Only you can answer that question. I'd suggest you go for it and make your own decision.

What things/features does your guide offer aside from player profiles?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
NYR469 said:
does anyone get the yearly subscription?? i got the draft guide last year and plan to get it again this year, but i was curious what people thought about the yearly supscription and if it is worth the $$

I got the yearly last year. Has some great information on the european tournaments and halfway write ups of all the leagues. So you can be more informed than most around Christmas. But at $200 it is very pricey and I think I might just stick with the draft guide next year as my budget situation doesn't look quite as extravagent. If you have money to spare it's definitely a fun read.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
I've purchased all three of Redline, Mckeens, and THN this year and have got to say if your looking for actual scouting reports Mckeens is the best value. Redline is very good in terms of letting their opinions known. The publication they released has some good info, but the scouting reports don't get to the meat of the player (ie. Complete description of skating, shooting), just a general description. The 40 dollar tag on that is extremely expensive when you compare it to the quality, I realize it is very expensive to get their guys to the games but if they want to sell it for 40 bucks they should give a more complete picture IMO. 20-30 bucks would be a great value.

THN is of great value. Their presentation is excellent but these are not THEIR opinions. They also don't paint a complete picture of a player, just give sample quotes and a general description.

Mckeens has the most in depth SCOUTING profiles on certain players that I have seen out there. Plus this is all their opinions which makes it extremely worthwhile for the price. The one downside is they dont really descripe much of how they see the player developing in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad