Draft Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Since it seems like all the other draft guides have been mentioned, I just figured I'd mention the draft guide which I contribute to, the Young Guns EDGe...you can find more info on our site, younggunshockey.com...we decided to make all the content on the site available for free except for our actual draft guide...among that content is an abridged guide we put up for free last year...we basically got the idea to do our own guide because of complaints we had with the guides which were available...none the least of which was price...if you'd like anymore info you can check the site, I don't want to overstep my bounds here.

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I recommend the Redline Draft Guide. I've gotten it the past 3 or 4 years and find it to be very comprehensive (profiles of the top 100+, ranks the fastest guys, best snipers, best character guys, etc.) Certainly have never regretted the purchase.

How many is your report 232$ / year or the 40$ report ???

The Spaz

May 15, 2002
PA
Visit site
Chief said:
Since it seems like all the other draft guides have been mentioned, I just figured I'd mention the draft guide which I contribute to, the Young Guns EDGe...you can find more info on our site, younggunshockey.com...we decided to make all the content on the site available for free except for our actual draft guide...among that content is an abridged guide we put up for free last year...we basically got the idea to do our own guide because of complaints we had with the guides which were available...none the least of which was price...if you'd like anymore info you can check the site, I don't want to overstep my bounds here.

I like your guys site very much! :) :handclap:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
It could be fear of photocopying.
Come to think of it, you're probably bang on here, although with scanners now, I'm not sure it really protects them that much. But you're probably right.

How about accuracy? Have you been satisfied (particularly on the lesser known players) with that?

Is there a noticable difference in quality between their Euro and North American reports?

Finally, you spoke of depth... how many players do they describe in the draft guide?

In terms of accuracy, they have hits and misses for overall likes and dislikes. I've only seen two of the draft guides. One was three years ago, which I only saw at the time of the draft and haven't had a chance to see again. The other was last year, and it's too early to tell on most. They were particularly high on Vrana and Kastistsyn and those don't look particularly accurate right now, but it's too early to tell. They were VERY high on Stewart (top 10 - which looks good), but had Staal rated lower (barely top 10 overall as I recall). They loved Phaneuf, and they also were very big on Dave Brown, who went inexplicably undrafted last year, which looks good on RLR, given he is rated in the 2nd round by many publications now. To think any team could have had him for 9th rounder last year. That's off the top of my head. It's actually a friend's, so I don't have a copy with me, but I'll try and take another look before the draft to post a few other hits and misses. I did order it myself this year based on what I've seen (the $40 version).

And they have over 100 prospects, with better depth in terms of real feedback on the player. But it is also VERY opinionated, which is what I like about it. You wouldn't want it as your ONLY draft guide, but having RLR combined with THN is a very interesting comparison. Where THN takes a poll of scouts to get the 'average" opinion without really formulating one themselves - which even THN admits, is often inaccurate because teams may love a player (top 10 rating) and others hate him (not even first round), so THN will slot them in at 15-20, because what else are they going to do? Meanwhile, RLR will say we love this guy, the way he works in the corners and with an edge, and see him as a 20 goal scoring checking machine in four years. Or they'll say they hate the way a guy stays on the perimeter and really question whether he'll ever have the willingness to compete in the NHL slot. It's basically the kind of thing we would see if we got a behind the scenes look at an individual team's scouting reports (albeit with different opinions, depending on the team). Where THN will cover their but by saying "he could..., but he may also..." in every profile, RLR takes a bigger stance one way or the other.

And I found the reports for Europe and North America equally in depth. They have scouts in all markets (whether the scouts are exclusive to RLR, I don't know).

Last edited:

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Spaz: Thanks for the kind words!

Vlad: I think you're right about photocopying being at least part of the answer as to why Redline uses red paper...I've been told that the text on red also makes it tough, if not impossible, to scan correctly...never tried it but that's what I was told.

MacDaddy TLC*

Chief said:
Spaz: Thanks for the kind words!

Vlad: I think you're right about photocopying being at least part of the answer as to why Redline uses red paper...I've been told that the text on red also makes it tough, if not impossible, to scan correctly...never tried it but that's what I was told.
The year I got the RLR, I did photocopy it because i was making player cards with the profiles from RLR and THN on index cards and couldn't just cut up the RLR with only one copy and profiles on back to back sides of the paper. You have to turn the mess around with the ink controls to get a reasonably acceptable copy. I'm not sure how it is with a scanner.

I just moved about a month ago and haven't unpacked boxes marked for my filing cabinet. When I do, I will dig out the RLR and give you some idea of why I wasn't as happy with it.

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I ordered the $40 Red Line draft guide from Kyle a week ago, I was surprised to actually hear him pick up the phone. I'm pretty excited to see what it has to offer. I have been getting THN's draft guide for years and plan on buying a copy this year to compliment Red Line's report.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I was just thinking the THN is probably the best out there coming at a price of $3.95 and including a descent amount of information. Alot of people spend $40 when they can basically get all the information in that magazine through posts on Hfboards, hockeysfuture in general and the THN Mag. Also what are u really spending $40 on, to sound smarter on the Hfboards?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
RANGERDIEHARD said:
I ordered the $40 Red Line draft guide from Kyle a week ago, I was surprised to actually hear him pick up the phone. I'm pretty excited to see what it has to offer. I have been getting THN's draft guide for years and plan on buying a copy this year to compliment Red Line's report.

I think he does this often. Someone at a Pens board told me he answered the phone when he called and he chatted with Woodlief for about a half hour.

I might look into the hockey news one this year. I'm not too big of a draft enthusist. I just kind of try to get some names to look for. Mainly I wait until I see who the Pens get, then do a little research.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
#2 said:
I was just thinking the THN is probably the best out there coming at a price of $3.95 and including a descent amount of information. Alot of people spend $40 when they can basically get all the information in that magazine through posts on Hfboards, hockeysfuture in general and the THN Mag. Also what are u really spending $40 on, to sound smarter on the Hfboards?

I would say without a doubt you will get a lot more information from ISS then you would HF. While HF is the greatest board I've come across in terms of prospects, ISS has info on 200 prospects. If I made a list of the top 200 prospects for this draft, getting info on half of them would be tough, let alone from professional scouts. I know some of the people that write for ISS and McKeens, and I respect the job they do and the info they provide. While I also get a ton of info from HF, I'd be shocked if I could find info on 200 prospects, although it would be great reading.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
MrKnowNothing said:
I think he does this often. Someone at a Pens board told me he answered the phone when he called and he chatted with Woodlief for about a half hour.

I might look into the hockey news one this year. I'm not too big of a draft enthusist. I just kind of try to get some names to look for. Mainly I wait until I see who the Pens get, then do a little research.
Kyle answered the phone when my dad called yesterday. I'm only 12, so I don't make calls that require credit card numbers, and crap like that. Kyle seems to do everything for RLR.

liveviewings

May 20, 2004
Chief said:

Is it all cut and paste info on the players past or is there more than what is shown on younggunshockey.

liveviewings

May 20, 2004
montreal said:
I would say without a doubt you will get a lot more information from ISS then you would HF. While HF is the greatest board I've come across in terms of prospects, ISS has info on 200 prospects. If I made a list of the top 200 prospects for this draft, getting info on half of them would be tough, let alone from professional scouts. I know some of the people that write for ISS and McKeens, and I respect the job they do and the info they provide. While I also get a ton of info from HF, I'd be shocked if I could find info on 200 prospects, although it would be great reading.

ISS only had 100 guys rated in march so surprised they have 200 now. When did they do the big jump?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
liveviewings said:
ISS only had 100 guys rated in march so surprised they have 200 now. When did they do the big jump?

200 is in the draft guide which I got sometime early in June last year, so I guess it will be out in early June.

ISS as far as I know, only does the top 50 each month, then they go to 200 for the draft guide. The pro scouting reports are not for the public, but I think they said they do a Top 100 each month for that, but it's not sold to non professionals as far as I know.

ttnorm

Feb 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
From the ISS Draft Guide info linked from the HF home page:
ISS NHL Draft Guide

This is our comprehensive analysis and preview of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, including in-depth scouting reports and profiles on the top 100 prospects available for the draft, and our rankings of the top 200 prospects.

Also included are mock drafts from ISS's NHL scouts, and analysis of each team's needs, plus up-to-the-minute information on which way each team is leaning with its top picks. As well a look forward to the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

The Draft Guide is released on June 6th of each year

Purchasing the ISS NHL Draft Guide:

Price for the ISS NHL Draft Guide Online:
$40 US

Ken McKenna

Mar 1, 2002
www.hockeysfuture.com
Also included are mock drafts from ISS's NHL scouts, and analysis of each team's needs, plus up-to-the-minute information on which way each team is leaning with its top picks.

I had a chance to look at last year's ISS draft guide. In their mock drafts, one of their scouts was unbelievably accurate with his first round selections. Judging from the mock drafts, at least, it seems like they have a pretty sharp bunch at ISS.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
The thing about THN is in the past couple years alone they haven't included players such as Hannu Toivonen, Brent Burns, or Patrice Bergeron in their top 100.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
liveviewwings: Our guide has profiles on the Top 100 players and rankings of the Top 300...we try and provide as much of a story on a player as we can which includes what we feel are interesting notes from his career, so far, as well as what we believe his upside and potential future is...all for a lot less than the other draft guides cost.

liveviewings

May 20, 2004
Chief said:
liveviewwings: Our guide has profiles on the Top 100 players and rankings of the Top 300...we try and provide as much of a story on a player as we can which includes what we feel are interesting notes from his career, so far, as well as what we believe his upside and potential future is...all for a lot less than the other draft guides cost.

So you go to games and tournaments such as the Royal bank cup and the memorial cup? No then how do you get your stuff.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
liveviewwings: We have 1-3 scouts for every league in North America and every country in Europe...while every one of our scouts doesn't attend every tournament, it's a rarity that we won't have some scouts in attendance at any major tournament...and we do have scouts attending each game of the Memorial Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->