Draft Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Broadway Crosby said:
I plan on buying a draft guide, but I don't know which one to get. What would you guys suggest?

There are a couple out there that i would suggest
If you are a real serious hockey fan and want to know almost everything about this years draft get the
Red Line Report - 12 pages - $230 CDN, definetley best out there

If you want to to wait about 2 weeks, The Hockey News will come out with there Draft Guide, its about 70 pages or so and it is pretty accurate, will cost about $3.95 CDN

Also Red Line has the Red Line Bulletin for $40 CDN about 4 pages and they also have 2004 Draft Guide 32 pgs for $40 CDN as well

hope that helps

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I recommend the Redline Draft Guide. I've gotten it the past 3 or 4 years and find it to be very comprehensive (profiles of the top 100+, ranks the fastest guys, best snipers, best character guys, etc.) Certainly have never regretted the purchase.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I recommend the Redline Draft Guide. I've gotten it the past 3 or 4 years and find it to be very comprehensive (profiles of the top 100+, ranks the fastest guys, best snipers, best character guys, etc.) Certainly have never regretted the purchase.

Have you looked back to see how accurately it panned out to be? Just curious if players, 4 years later, are turning out to be as predicted?

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
#2 said:
If you want to to wait about 2 weeks, The Hockey News will come out with there Draft Guide, its about 70 pages or so and it is pretty accurate, will cost about $3.95 CDN

Where in Canada would you be able to pick up a copy of that? That's pretty affordable for a high school student :yo:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
TRS said:
Where in Canada would you be able to pick up a copy of that? That's pretty affordable for a high school student :yo:
I believe what they are talking about is the standard Hockey News Issue that covers the draft. Just go to where finer hockey publications are sold.... :D

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
The $40 RLR guide is worth it for the hardcore draft/prospect junkie, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to the casual fan. I've bought it the last four years but will be passing on it this year (mainly because I'm moving and I have to spend my discretionary money on the move rather than stuff like $40 draft guides.)

As far as its accuracy goes, it's no better or worse than any other prognosticator - they nail some players and whiff on others. You simply get a lot more info on more players than other guides.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Thanks alot! What about the ISS one, is that one good? It does have a mock draft in it.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I buy the THN Draft Review every year. Best issue of the year. Let me tell you, THN's draft preview and this website (and maybe a couple other websites) is all you need. Red Line Report is nice too.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Mizral said:
I buy the THN Draft Review every year. Best issue of the year. Let me tell you, THN's draft preview and this website (and maybe a couple other websites) is all you need. Red Line Report is nice too.

I have purchased the RLR

$40 seems to be expensive.Those red pages are tough on the eyes.

It's such a thin publication(40 pages?)

The NFL draft previews(Mel Kiper,Ourlads,Pro Football Weekly)are these thick books for the same price

The THN was better when Bob McKenzie would write the previews.Still it's a good publication.I get mine in the mail.It used to come out before Memorial Day and now it comes out after Memorial Day.I have all the THN draft previews since 1986 when it was not part of the subscription

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
RangerBoy said:
I have purchased the RLR

It's such a thin publication(40 pages?)

The NFL draft previews(Mel Kiper,Ourlads,Pro Football Weekly)are these thick books for the same price

The THN was better when Bob McKenzie would write the previews.Still it's a good publication.I get mine in the mail.It used to come out before Memorial Day and now it comes out after Memorial Day.I have all the THN draft previews since 1986 when it was not part of the subscription
Ah, I'm 12 years old, I have good eyes.

So the best draft guide is RLR? I get the THN one with a subscription, but I want two, this year.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
I have purchased the RLR

For the love of god, I don't know why they insist on publishing it on those red pages. It could still be consistent with "red line" and protect the brand but actually be easy to read. Hopefully that's a change that will take place this year.

Whether $40 is worth it, is all in the eye of the beholder (and depending on how important $40 is for you). However, if you're looking for more in depth information than THN, McKeens or the web provide, the RLR is definitely a step up in terms of depth on the profiles.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've had ISS for 2 drafts now, and McKeens in the past. ISS is well done and has good info in it, and for the money McKeens has good draft stuff although not so good team prospect stuff, imo, but still worth the money cause it's so affordable.

MacDaddy TLC*

Stick with the Hockey News.

I thought the Red Line report was good until almost every pick I made for my fantasy hockey pool the year I got it turned into a colossal failure. Stick to the Hockey News. There is a reason Kyle Woodlief is no longer employed by an NHL team.

With complete honesty, i can say the Hockey's Future production last year was the best I have seen and read in years. You have to go back a good number of years with the Hockey news to find a comparable production.

X-SHARKIE

MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Stick with the Hockey News.

I thought the Red Line report was good until almost every pick I made for my fantasy hockey pool the year I got it turned into a colossal failure. Stick to the Hockey News. There is a reason Kyle Woodlief is no longer employed by an NHL team.

With complete honesty, i can say the Hockey's Future production last year was the best I have seen and read in years. You have to go back a good number of years with the Hockey news to find a comparable production.

:handclap:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dr.Sens(e) said:
For the love of god, I don't know why they insist on publishing it on those red pages. It could still be consistent with "red line" and protect the brand but actually be easy to read. Hopefully that's a change that will take place this year.

It could be fear of photocopying.

Dr.Sens(e) said:
However, if you're looking for more in depth information than THN, McKeens or the web provide, the RLR is definitely a step up in terms of depth on the profiles.

How about accuracy? Have you been satisfied (particularly on the lesser known players) with that?

Is there a noticable difference in quality between their Euro and North American reports?

Finally, you spoke of depth... how many players do they describe in the draft guide?

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Thanks alot, everyone! I have placed my order in for... The Red Line Report NHL Draft Guide! I hope it's as good as you guys say it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->