Draft Day Megathread (BS-APPROVED, NO DOUBTERS ALLOWED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
See I disagree with this though. There is not a huge difference in value. If we need a goal to win, it doesn't matter if it is on the PP, SH, or ES. Just like the Jeff Carter "only scores in blowouts" mythos. I don't care. 40 goals is 40 goals. Obviously more PP time means more points. More ice time in general typically means more points too. And while I agree with the sentiment that just about any top 9 will get more points by playing on the top PP unit...THEY STILL HAVE TO BE ON THE TOP PP UNIT. If Ristolainen was a terrible as people are saying, he would not be getting 26+ minutes per night and would not be getting top power play minutes. That's my whole point here. Someone said he was a #5 defenseman. Show me a #5 defenseman that would put up 40+ points three years in a row on ANY team. I don't care what stat or metric you are using, if you are defenseman putting up 40+ points a year at 23 years old, even if your defense leaves a lot to be desired, you're not terrible. I'll take that player any day of the week on my team.
But you must see, that to acquire that type of guy, and NOT have him on the top PP unit, will drop his points and thus, his value to us. Tell me you can see that, right?

That is where ES vs PP points DOES matter. So all the sudden , he becomes a 30 point Dman in Philly.

But fwiw, to say Risto is a #5 Dman is just a wrong comment.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
But you must see, that to acquire that type of guy, and NOT have him on the top PP unit, will drop his points and thus, his value to us. Tell me you can see that, right?

That is where ES vs PP points DOES matter. So all the sudden , he becomes a 30 point Dman in Philly.

But fwiw, to say Risto is a #5 Dman is just a wrong comment.
Yeah that's a separate issue. I'm saying that a guy putting up those points at that age consistently is not doing so by mistake and is not terrible by any metric. That being said, I still think he puts up good points playing on the second pair and likely second PP (and depending on if he gets traded somewhere outside of Buffalo he could be on the top PP unit as well). Brandon Manning, who actually is terrible, scored 18 ES points with the Flyers. He was the #5 defender in terms of ATOI. I have no problem saying that Risto would outscore and proivde superior defense to Manning and would be at least on the second pair.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The CHL changed it’s rule on what imports you can put on a reserve list to make another selection. It used to be just imports that were NHL first round picks that could but now they’ve expanded it to imports that are signed to NHL contracts as well.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
What about this Jack Hughes kid. Seems pretty good.

I just wanted to see if there were any good RHD. Only one of note so far was Honka's younger brother.
Honestly I haven’t seen any off the guys for the 2019 draft yet outside of the ones that played at the u18s. So I don’t know how good the draft looks as a whole.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Honestly I haven’t seen any off the guys for the 2019 draft yet outside of the ones that played at the u18s. So I don’t know how good the draft looks as a whole.

September: This could go down as one of the greatest drafts ever!

January: It’s a below average draft. Players were overhyped!

April: It’s an average draft. Look at these late risers!

June: Does Chiarelli want to trade his 1st for a RHD?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah that's a separate issue. I'm saying that a guy putting up those points at that age consistently is not doing so by mistake and is not terrible by any metric. That being said, I still think he puts up good points playing on the second pair and likely second PP (and depending on if he gets traded somewhere outside of Buffalo he could be on the top PP unit as well). Brandon Manning, who actually is terrible, scored 18 ES points with the Flyers. He was the #5 defender in terms of ATOI. I have no problem saying that Risto would outscore and proivde superior defense to Manning and would be at least on the second pair.

Manning was one of the better defensemen in terms of PP/60 (33rd, Provorov was 36th)
Manning 0.98 - Ristolainen 0.57
Now some of that might be the defensive friendly scheme (yes, Hakstol's scheme supports scoring by the defense), but Manning is a good offensive player, he was in the AHL and in the NHL.
Manning's problem is he helps both teams score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad