GDT: Draft Day GDT, put your mildly happy but still really pissed overall face on

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I have no clue who any of these guys are, but I have to think that with the past 18 months being such a shit show and competitive games being so hard to come by for many of them, that there are a lot more high-upside sleeper picks in the later rounds than we'd normally have--guys whose stock could have really shot up if they'd had the proper chances.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We went really OHL heavy this year....and keeping in mind most of those guys never played, it'll either pay off big time or blow up in our face.

Well, it can't be any worse than 2013. At least these picks seem like "swing for the fences" ones rather than Burke-esque 'we like the guy he plays hard and he does the little things" code for "he's a low-ceiling scrub that probably won't break out because we like low-ceiling scrubs"

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Kashnikov is 6'4 198, Eliteprospects lists him as a D/F and he spent last year split between Gatineau (8 games with 1G, 4A, 5P) and Novomoskovsk of the MHL (10 pts, 5+5, in 22 games.)

The D/F thing is intriguing.

Russian Brent Burns confirmed.

Also inconsistent spelling on his first name. It's one of Evgeni, Evgenii with two "i"s, or Yvgeni with a "Y"

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Well, it can't be any worse than 2013. At least these picks seem like "swing for the fences" ones rather than Burke-esque 'we like the guy he plays hard and he does the little things" code for "he's a low-ceiling scrub that probably won't break out because we like low-ceiling scrubs"

It seems like Caldwell, Laroque, McCue, Gilmartin, and even Eklund trends towards work hard vs. moonshot.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Kashnikov is 6'4 198, Eliteprospects lists him as a D/F and he spent last year split between Gatineau (8 games with 1G, 4A, 5P) and Novomoskovsk of the MHL (10 pts, 5+5, in 22 games.)

The D/F thing is intriguing.

Russian Brent Burns confirmed.

Also inconsistent spelling on his first name. It's one of Evgeni, Evgenii with two "i"s, or Yvgeni with a "Y"

looks like a John to me

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Seems that last season's shutdowns caused the Sharks to focus on kind of an "overager - 1 year" strategy. Any possible bump in performance will be because they missed a development year vs. later bloomer.

Reactions: Sandisfan

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
Sounds like the draft theme for the Sharks this year was Eklund, big defensemen, and OHL guys nobody has heard of or seen play in a year.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad