GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Continuing the conversation from the previous thread.

I think we might be selling Tkachuk's skill level and production significantly short.

It's not like Tkachuk skated aimlessly around his first year of college.

He scored 8 goals and 31 points in 40 games as a freshman.

By comparison, Mittelstadt scored 11 goals and 30 points in 34 games.

That projects to a four point difference over the same number of games, and Mittelstadt is a year older and a player whose main course is offense.

That's not saying all things are equal and a comparison paints an accurate picture, but Tkachuk is a skilled player.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'll be lukewarm excited when we inevitably draft Farabee at 9 tonight.
Can see it now. Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Kravtsov still on the board at 9. Rangers approach the podium...

"With the 9th pick, the New York Rangers are proud to select....from the US National Team Development Program....."

(HF.....ZOMG WAHLSTROM!!!!).................

"Joel Farabee".

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Can see it now. Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Kravtsov still on the board at 9. Rangers approach the podium...

"With the 9th pick, the New York Rangers are proud to select....from the US National Team Development Program....."

(HF.....ZOMG WAHLSTROM!!!!).................

"Joel Farabee".

Personally I have Farabee 8th, so I wouldn't be shocked.

With that said, the Rangers seem to be hinting that they're taking someone who's been on the radar as a top pick for a while.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am not anti Tkachuk, I think he would be a fine pick if the Rangers already had more high ceiling prospects.

As is I just do not see a gifted goal scorer in their prospect pool, nor a prospect who is to become a "can stop him" puck transporter.

If I thought this stockpiling of draft picks was going to go on beyond this draft perhaps I'd think differently, like maybe next draft they can focus on that other stuff but I just don't see it playing out that way. I just do not trust their patience level regardless of what Brooks writes.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I think we might be selling Tkachuk's skill level and production significantly short.

That projects to a four point difference over the same number of games, and Mittelstadt is a year older and a player whose main course is offense.

That's not saying all things are equal and a comparison paints an accurate picture, but Tkachuk is a skilled player.
He led a loaded team in assists as a freshman. I don’t see why that is constantly overlooked by some when evaluating Tkachuk.

If he went to the OHK like his brother, he’d probably have put up just as great of numbers.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Personally I have Farabee 8th, so I wouldn't be shocked.

With that said, the Rangers seem to be hinting that they're taking someone who's been on the radar as a top pick for a while.
For sure.

Thing is, with Farabee ranked 17th on the TSN list, do the Rangers really have him on the higher end of the spectrum?

Reading between the tea leaves, they seem to think that Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or even Zadina may be around for them to take at 9. We'll see.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am not anti Tkachuk, I think he would be a fine pick if the Rangers already had more high ceiling prospects.

As is I just do not see a gifted goal scorer in their prospect pool, nor a prospect who is to become a "can stop him" puck transporter.

If I thought this stockpiling of draft picks was going to go on beyond this draft perhaps I'd think differently, like maybe next draft they can focus on that other stuff but I just don't see it playing out that way. I just do not trust their patience level regardless of what Brooks writes.

Maybe the Rangers just don't think some of the high ceiling prospects are as high ceiling as we think?

I sense we've adopted the Pronman approach to some extent in the last couple of years:

Skills = talent and higher ceiling

I don't know if that's necessarily the case.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Getting the feeling Karlsson gets dealt today with all the drama in Ottawa.
Just want the Rangers to stay far away from that pitfall and use at least 2 first round selections.

Reactions: Lays

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For sure.

Thing is, with Farabee ranked 17th on the TSN list, do the Rangers really have him on the higher end of the spectrum?

Reading between the tea leaves, they seem to think that Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or even Zadina may be around for them to take at 9. We'll see.

I love Farabee, but I don't think he'll be the pick at 9.

I think it will be a "faller" so to speak.

As for the TSN list, it can be tricky sometimes because it only takes one or two teams to throw things off.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Food for thought on this early morning before the draft....

What if the player they are thinking will comfortably still be there at No. 9 is Ty Smith?

Discuss :popcorn:

Also, I'd be pretty upset if they took Tkachuk when a potentially sliding Zadina and/or Boqvist could be there. Or even Wahlstrom for that matter....

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I love Farabee, but I don't think he'll be the pick at 9.

I think it will be a "faller" so to speak.

As for the TSN list, it can be tricky sometimes because it only takes one or two teams to throw things off.
I'm hoping that if the Rangers really want Farabee, they trade up to 13-16 to draft him there. I think he'll be around after the Islanders' picks. I think the Islanders take a defenseman and a center if they keep both picks. That would mean Veleno/Hayton and Smith/Boqvist.

Think Dallas goes Boqvist or Kravtsov. If not Dallas, Kravtsov is off the board by Philly's pick at 14. That leaves Farabee on the board at 15, potentially 16 if Florida wants a defenseman or a center. Don't think Farabee gets past NJ at 17 by any stretch. The Rangers would have to trade up to about 13-16 if they want him.

Take the faller (Wahlstrom, Zadina (!)) at 9. Get Farabee in the middle of the 1st, and that's a slam dunk of a 1st round.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

College stats are difficult, almost impossible to translate or properly interpret.

Eichel scored 71 in 40 his predraft year. Kevin Hayes didn't hit 30 points until he was 22.

It's all over the place. Really the only way to evaluate NCAA performance is to scout the games, and even then there's confusion. I thought Greg Carey and Kyle Flanagan were almost surefire NHLers.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->