GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Exactly. Vitali Kravtsov is the wrong choice according Steve Kourniakos? In a few years he can be a star... who knows. Miller can be very good defender - SK wrote "don’t be surprised if a less-heralded kid like Miller has the best NHL career out of any from his defense corps". Lundkvist played against men....
I wanted Wahlstrom, but Kravtsov may be better.

People who think Kravtsov was the wrong choice because he's not a sure-fire elite player also believe Wahlstrom is going to be an elite player no matter what happens, and when you bring up that neither are going to be playing in the NHL or are certain stars, they yell at you because "what do you know. Have you even watched him?". It's laughable. Mock drafts and rankings are as much a crap shoot as the draft itself. But I guess it's just the way society runs now. You can't even disagree with anyone anymore without being mocked.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The salary cap is set at 79.5 million. An increased cap usually means a less active trade market in the week between the draft and free agency. Teams will look to fill holes on free assets that cost only money rather than through trade.

Once big free agents are off the board, trade activity will pick up. Carlson is off the board. JVR and Tavares are the only major free agents left. They'll sign on July 1st. I think we will see some trades this week. Maybe 4-5 in total, but I don't see much activity until Tavares signs. That'll open up the market for a player like Hayes.

JVR wants to come here and will take less money to do it. I doubt the Rangers will even extend the offer. If JVR does in fact come, its because of the Shattenkirk argument. It would mean the Rangers got him on their terms and not his. He's 28. How many more productive years does he have left? Power forwards have been falling off of a cliff just after 30 or 31 because they can't keep up with the pace of the game as of late. 3 years at $6.5 million a year. Take it or go to Jersey for the 7 year deal to be close to home. Good luck.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
#30 to Nashville last year and #11 to Islanders - I don`t know how we can recover from this, but it`s not a good feeling my dudes - unless Gorton try to get a sniper which I doubt, because neither Islanders or Nashville will move any of those prospects in the next 4-5 years.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I would have taken Wahlstrom or Dobson.

I still like the Kravtsov and Miller picks.

Would have gone Sandin, Veleno or McIsaac over Lundkvist but I do not dislike their pick.

The trade to move up, not so sure about that play either, looked like an over-payment to me even though I do like their pick.

The other picks, to me they were far more disagreeable, I would have gone Wilde, Thomas, some skater instead of a goalie.

All in all I'm not sure they really received the potential they could have received given the amount of picks they went in with. I'd put myself in the disappointed camp even though I liked some of what they did.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would have taken Wahlstrom or Dobson.

I still like the Kravtsov and Miller picks.

Would have gone Sandin, Veleno or McIsaac over Lundkvist but I do not dislike their pick.

The trade to move up, not so sure about that play either, looked like an over-payment to me even though I do like their pick.

The other picks, to me they were far more disagreeable, I would have gone Wilde, Thomas, some skater instead of a goalie.

All in all I'm not sure they really received the potential they could have received given the amount of picks they went in with. I'd put myself in the disappointed camp even though I liked some of what they did.

I like what they did, there's just options I would've liked more.

I probably would've gone with Wahlstrom and a few other guys before Kravtsov.

I probably would've gone with Bokk over Miller.

I feel pretty okay with Lundkvist at 28.

I would've gone with a lot of guys ahead of Lindbom in that spot.

Third and fourth had some guys I probably would've preferred, but nothing that I would scream and shout about.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pronman gave us a B. Steve is going off the board with his assessment. Bucking the consensus. He'll probably be the 1st over all ranker next year and still not pick Arizona for the worst draft.

In fairness, I'm not sure I've seen or heard many people give us an A for our draft.

I see Bs and a few in the B-plus range, but I think the consensus is that we definitely went our own way.

Whether that works or not, we probably won't know for a few years. But I will say two things -

1. The pressure is going to start mounting quickly if some of the guys we passed on achieve early success.

2. I firmly believe that this is the draft that is going to make or break Gorton and Clark's legacy with the Rangers.

If they hit on these kids, and all come close to their potential, they're going to be praised for their gutsy moves.

If this bombs, or the Rangers come away with middling talent, and/or passed on a future allstar, there will be gnashing of teeth.

Reactions: Ori

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If it was me, this is what I would have done with those picks:

1st: Kravtsov, Bokk, Lundkvist (Yes, I wanted Kravtsov at 9 for months. Lundkvist is a good prospect at 28 as well)
2nd: Lauko

I am okay with the other picks.

Will these players develop better than our picks? Not sure. But I think Lauko should have been picked in the 2nd. When we traded up, I was sure it was for Bokk. I even told the Blues fan next to me how much I want Bokk, only to see his team trade up to grab him minutes later haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad