Draft Day Anticipation - What the Leafs May Do

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Before Mark Hunter left I could've easily seen us move up for Evan Bouchard. We still very well could but unsure. Dubas needs to be careful 3 calendar days a year teams over pay for players..trade deadline, draft and July 1st.

If we take last season into account we know now Marner is the guy we keep out of him and Willie (if we were to trade one). Marner only got better and was great in the playoffs.

Maybe we sign and trade jvr and our 1st to move top 10?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe we sign and trade jvr and our 1st to move top 10?

I'd say there's no way in hell that the rights to JVR are worth anywhere near that much.

I think we could just easily trade back, trade up or stay put. No way to know without being a fly on the wall when our brass meets to discuss strategy.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I wrote my first piece for Hawkey Intangibles.
My contributions will be very much more "Op-Ed" than anything else, so I hope you like it

In this one I pretty much explained how as a non-draft-junkie how/why draft is exciting and what I feel the Leafs might do with #25 :)

HockeyIntangibles: Draft Day Anticipation
I will follow your advice and crack a cold beer open and watch it all unfold.
Well written as usual.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I'd say there's no way in hell that the rights to JVR are worth anywhere near that much.

I think we could just easily trade back, trade up or stay put. No way to know without being a fly on the wall when our brass meets to discuss strategy.

You listed all 3 possibilities lol. I didn't say trade his rights. I said sign and trade. Jvr our 1st and 2nd we draft Bouchard.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do not see a sign-and-trade with JvR. I do not think those really happen much anymore. Maybe we can trade his rights (also does not happen much anymore), but I doubt that nets us much either.

Anything is better than nothing, as with the Vesey trade, however.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You listed all 3 possibilities lol. I didn't say trade his rights. I said sign and trade. Jvr our 1st and 2nd we draft Bouchard.

I listed all 3 because like I said, I can't see one option being more likely than another without inside info.

I don't think this JVR thing is realistic - no team would give up a top 1 pick in this scenario. They'll just wait until they can sign him without giving up anything.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I listed all 3 because like I said, I can't see one option being more likely than another without inside info.

I don't think this JVR thing is realistic - no team would give up a top 1 pick in this scenario. They'll just wait until they can sign him without giving up anything.

Ok..that's why I said IF we signed him. Then we trade ..hello? Then he has a $ amount and term set in stone. If its attractive to another team plus they get our 1st and 2nd that easily gets us pick 8 to 15OV

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ok..that's why I said IF we signed him. Then we trade ..hello? Then he has a $ amount and term set in stone. If its attractive to another team plus they get our 1st and 2nd that easily gets us pick 8 to 15OV

that's... kinda risky though eh?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I will follow your advice and crack a cold beer open and watch it all unfold.
Well written as usual.

that's the only way to do it. (iced tea for me because I can't drink beer). but i always feel people get so worked up, and i'm like unless it's like the most horrid of mistakes (and sometimes you don't need hindsight for that) just be happy we got someone potentially good and hope it becomes really good.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What is JVR's motivation for the Sign and Trade?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not gonna happen. As far as I know nothing like this has ever been done before and there is good reason for this.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
that's the only way to do it. (iced tea for me because I can't drink beer). but i always feel people get so worked up, and i'm like unless it's like the most horrid of mistakes (and sometimes you don't need hindsight for that) just be happy we got someone potentially good and hope it becomes really good.
Personally I look at it as the beginning of a story: pick#25's story etc
Following these kids through their seasons and development is pretty interesting to me.

Edit iced tea and vodka is nice hahaha

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What is JVR's motivation for the Sign and Trade?

I was just thinking, we could theoretically sign him to a deal, knowing full well that we can trade him when it is necessary, especially if it is true that he really wants to stay, and could perhaps take a bit lower.

For example, if next summer, we need to sign Matthews & Marner if we haven't already, or know that we need to shed a contract, JVR would be an extremely easy player to trade, and would probably get quiet the return.

Like, we have 25 million in cap space next season, and we have Horton's 5.2 or whatever we can use with LTIR, there's nothing preventing us from signing JVR, knowing we will likely be trading him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A few predictions,

I think the odds of the leafs trade their 1st for an impact player are pretty low, Dubas will want it to be “his draft” as GM. Especially given the public departure of Hunter.

Won’t be surprised if they trade back into the 2nd round.

Can see them targeting some smaller sized D men who fall.

Reactions: cookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->