GDT: Draft Day 2014 (Round 1 6/27, Rounds 2-7 6/28

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The question is not whether these players stink, or whether the staff can find talent, or whether X player will play in the NHL. You have to ask was the draft handled in a competent and strategic manner, and has anything changed for the better in terms of front office philosphy or behavior.

From a purely procedural standpoint there seem to be issues. Without insider information or explanations we are perfectly justified in asking questions.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
.... In a weak draft (which most believe this was) outside the top 20ish everyone is a crap shoot so take as many pics as possible and just take the next guy on the board! Twice we traded up for a long shot pick who wasn't any better the next 50 guys.....

This keyboard GM tends to agree with your point.

I modified your post for effect which may well be reality.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Lots of 2014 draft Doom & Gloom. Lets give it a year or so and see how it plays out.

h36A66260

xcaliber002

Jan 5, 2006
The question is not whether these players stink, or whether the staff can find talent, or whether X player will play in the NHL. You have to ask was the draft handled in a competent and strategic manner, and has anything changed for the better in terms of front office philosphy or behavior.

From a purely procedural standpoint there seem to be issues. Without insider information or explanations we are perfectly justified in asking questions.

This

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
So we are wrong because we don't know the inside info like Nashville was going to draft our guy, and our guy is alot better then projected, and, Walker wasn't going to be there in the 4th round, ect... But your right even though you don't have any of that data either???

How about this for a mind blowing thought. In a weak draft (which most believe this was) outside the top 20ish everyone is a crap shoot so take as many pics as possible and just take the next guy on the board! Twice we traded up for a long shot pick who wasn't any better then next 10 guys. That's reality right now. I would be willing to put 50 bucks down that says 5 years from now, the Blues 2014 draft destroys ours.
Yes you are wrong because you have no clue what the caps know, and what the caps know is the reason they made their decisions, unless you have the knowledge they do, you shouldn't be questioning their ****, especially 5 seconds after the pick. It's amazing it went 5 hours here everyone questioning why they would trade up for that goalie, zomg he must be panicking as a gm. Listen to Mahoney's interview, he says there are targets they had who they were scarred other teams would take, so they traded up. They didn't trade up just so they could get some goalie, Goalie isn't even a position of weakness, they wanted him.

And for the record I don't know why they made the trades they did, and as someone who spent no time of my own "scouting" amateurs(protip try it then you don't get your panties in a bunch when the guy you spent 2 months reading everything about is passed over) it seems better to choose 2 guys rather then 1 who all seem to be about equal, but Washington's scouts didn't think all the guys were equal, wanna know how i know that, they traded up for guys.

I think it's the third time(if not more) i've said this, give the gm a year before you bash him. I mean for ****s sake he hasn't even gone to FA yet.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Yes you are wrong because you have no clue what the caps know, and what the caps know is the reason they made their decisions, unless you have the knowledge they do, you shouldn't be questioning their ****, especially 5 seconds after the pick. It's amazing it went 5 hours here everyone questioning why they would trade up for that goalie, zomg he must be panicking as a gm. Listen to Mahoney's interview, he says there are targets they had who they were scarred other teams would take, so they traded up. They didn't trade up just so they could get some goalie, Goalie isn't even a position of weakness, they wanted him.

And for the record I don't know why they made the trades they did, and as someone who spent no time of my own "scouting" amateurs(protip try it then you don't get your panties in a bunch when the guy you spent 2 months reading everything about is passed over) it seems better to choose 2 guys rather then 1 who all seem to be about equal, but Washington's scouts didn't think all the guys were equal, wanna know how i know that, they traded up for guys.

I think it's the third time(if not more) i've said this, give the gm a year before you bash him. I mean for ****s sake he hasn't even gone to FA yet.

The thing I never get with stances like this is you've got as much backing for your stance as those who hate the pick. You're assuming just as much as they do. You just give them the benefit of the doubt while others attribute it to idiocy.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm not worried about this draft at all. I am worried about overpaying for mediocre UFAs. None of these drafted players are going to help in 2014-15. Congrats to Walker getting drafted. I would have liked a trade up for Barbashev. Give this a few years before judgement. Every NHL team is seeking Centers and Defense. Count me out on Niskanen and St Louis made out like bandits btw.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
The thing I never get with stances like this is you've got as much backing for your stance as those who hate the pick. You're assuming just as much as they do. You just give them the benefit of the doubt while others attribute it to idiocy.

I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt, listen to Mahoney, he talks about the trades, their were specific guys they didn't feel would be available, so they traded up. I have never said this draft was good, I said from my first post to wait till you see the kids play before commenting, and give the GM a season before crucifying him.

My opinion is that the scouting staff has more then proven themselves knowledgeable and competent at their job for some amateurs who post on HF to question their draft day choices the day of the draft. I'm sorry if anyone feels they are better at evaluating talent pre draft then the caps scouts, if so fine, show me your posts from after they drafted their picks in previous years. THE CAPS SCOUTS HAVE EARNED THEMSELVES CREDIT. show some ****ing respect.

Again for the record, I have not spent a second researching any player drafted this year, I have no clue how the drafted players will turn out, You fans just want to bash management, now isn't the time. You aren't privy to the information needed to give an educated opinion on the subject.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt, listen to Mahoney, he talks about the trades, their were specific guys they didn't feel would be available, so they traded up. I have never said this draft was good, I said from my first post to wait till you see the kids play before commenting, and give the GM a season before crucifying him.

My opinion is that the scouting staff has more then proven themselves knowledgeable and competent at their job for some amateurs who post on HF to question their draft day choices the day of the draft. I'm sorry if anyone feels they are better at evaluating talent pre draft then the caps scouts, if so fine, show me your posts from after they drafted their picks in previous years. THE CAPS SCOUTS HAVE EARNED THEMSELVES CREDIT. show some ****ing respect.

Again for the record, I have not spent a second researching any player drafted this year, I have no clue how the drafted players will turn out, You fans just want to bash management, now isn't the time. You aren't privy to the information needed to give an educated opinion on the subject.

But you are assuming everything he tells you is correct and not doublespeak. You're assuming assuming our recent draft picks are still going to turn out, we may be high on a lot of them but none of them are anywhere near top line players yet. You are also assuming people hate all the picks merely because they think the players inferior, this is not the case.

The real issue with the picks they made is its status quo. Its constantly drafting skilled wingers when we need Centers and Defenders. We keep drafting into positions of supposed strength when, as we've seen through time, it isn't helping us get better. In fact, our team has been on a slow decline for awhile now which points me towards questioning whether they're actually drafting well or not.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
Appeal to Authority logical fallacy.
pffft.

nope, never had I said they are pro's therefore they're right. I haven't even said they made the correct choices, just you guys are in the wrong. sorry to break it to you.

I've given you guys links to the past drafts, if any of you think you knew better your posts are still on this website, find them. This isn't an appeal to Authority, this is Some of the leagues best being called out by amateurs who fall in love with guys they read about on the internet.

It is impossible for us to know what went on behind the scenes, but you guys are basing your speculation and hatred of the front office on trades at the surface. You cannot do that, I'm sorry but there is too much **** going on behind the scenes to know what happened. I haven't said they made good trades, it's wait and see on them, I said you can't judge them today on their moves.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well, let me ask you something, how about that Forsberg guy? You can ***** all you want about Erat, but the amateur scouts look to be correct about Forsberg.

First, see my earlier post about it not just being about talent or who plays in the NHL. What Forsberg is now and what he becomes (which is still not settled) have nothing to do with whether or not he was drafted correctly. He fell to the Caps and they took him. They didn't go off the board to get him, they didn't make strange trades of picks to move up and snag him. And at some point their analysis of him changed, so he was traded.

So what is your point here? That because the scouts were wrong about Forsberg on draft day, then we should trust them blindly in this draft? Did you think this through all the way?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
nope, never had I said they are pro's therefore they're right. I haven't even said they made the correct choices, just you guys are in the wrong. sorry to break it to you.

Yeah, no. That's just about exactly what you said...

If that's not clearly an appeal to authority in your mind then you don't understand the term.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
But you are assuming everything he tells you is correct and not doublespeak. You're assuming assuming our recent draft picks are still going to turn out, we may be high on a lot of them but none of them are anywhere near top line players yet. You are also assuming people hate all the picks merely because they think the players inferior, this is not the case.

The real issue with the picks they made is its status quo. Its constantly drafting skilled wingers when we need Centers and Defenders. We keep drafting into positions of supposed strength when, as we've seen through time, it isn't helping us get better. In fact, our team has been on a slow decline for awhile now which points me towards questioning whether they're actually drafting well or not.
I don't think anyone hates the picks for any other reason then the Caps made them actually. That is my honest opinion as someone who's liven in this area 22 of 26 years of my life. You guys love to hate your own team, it's sad. For all the psycho analyzing they do here, no one has ever looked at themselves.

They've drafted centers and Dmen at other places though, and at no point has any of these wingers looked bad. In the first round you take the guy you think has the greatest chance of making an impact at the NHL when you pick. Plain and Simple, and as of today the Caps have done great in the that aspect.

And a steady decline, really, how about incompetent coaching along with the team quitting on good coach who changed the way the team played at the demands of the great fan base.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
Yeah, no. That's just about exactly what you said...

If that's not clearly an appeal to authority in your mind then you don't understand the term.

actually never heard the term before now, had to look it up. here's what i went with tell me if it's wrong. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

I've never claimed the Caps made the right picks, I just said the caps have a record, as do you, show me your record if you think you can come up here today and judge their picks. It takes years to see how draftee's will turn out, you can't judge a draft the day it happened, now if someone was to come and show me their post history which they clearly had an eye for knowing talent sure i'd take their word. But because you have the ability to hit submit, doesn't mean their history is irrelevant because they are paid. I edited that previous sentence and it still doesn't work, oh well.

But they didn't draft a center who they felt was a bust, and other scouts rated him highly, or bombed in the interview. OH NOESSSSSSSSSSS. Again there is too much information that no one here is privy too to give a real assessment of the draft. You want to ***** about their drafts, go back in history when you can actually judge the players they drafted in the spots they did(it's a shame that doesn't help with the I want to ***** about all things caps status quo around here).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
actually never heard the term before now, had to look it up. here's what i went with tell me if it's wrong. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

I've never claimed the Caps made the right picks, I just said the caps have a record, as do you, show me your record if you think you can come up here today and judge their picks. It takes years to see how draftee's will turn out, you can't judge a draft the day it happened, now if someone was to come and show me their post history which they clearly had an eye for knowing talent sure i'd take their word. But because you have the ability to hit submit, doesn't mean their history is irrelevant because they are paid. I edited that previous sentence and it still doesn't work, oh well.

But they didn't draft a center who they felt was a bust, and other scouts rated him highly, or bombed in the interview. OH NOESSSSSSSSSSS. Again there is too much information that no one here is privy too to give a real assessment of the draft. You want to ***** about their drafts, go back in history when you can actually judge the players they drafted in the spots they did(it's a shame that doesn't help with the I want to ***** about all things caps status quo around here).

Aaaand you make the same fallacious arguments again. Trolling or not, doesn't matter. By all means, keep arguing with yourself.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't think anyone hates the picks for any other reason then the Caps made them actually. That is my honest opinion as someone who's liven in this area 22 of 26 years of my life. You guys love to hate your own team, it's sad. For all the psycho analyzing they do here, no one has ever looked at themselves.

They've drafted centers and Dmen at other places though, and at no point has any of these wingers looked bad. In the first round you take the guy you think has the greatest chance of making an impact at the NHL when you pick. Plain and Simple, and as of today the Caps have done great in the that aspect.

And a steady decline, really, how about incompetent coaching along with the team quitting on good coach who changed the way the team played at the demands of the great fan base.

They've drafted centers and Dmen and we've only got 2 that are currently looking to be worth anything, and those are still huge question marks. What centers do we have in the pipeline? Don't worry, I'll wait...

You seem to want to blindly follow the scouting department, and organization tendencies, without any rhyme or reason. You try to point to phantom centers and defenders, something the team severely lacks, to show that they're great scouts. Looking at their draft history, 5 years out and I count exactly 5 guys who've done anything for us, 2 of which shouldn't have been on our roster last year (Carrick and Wilson). So in 5 years they've drafted 5 useful NHLers for this team, 1 of which were still viewing as a prospect. Oh, and they're all Wingers besides Carrick.

That's some damn good drafting I guess.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
Aaaand you make the same fallacious arguments again. Trolling or not, doesn't matter. By all means, keep arguing with yourself.

Again how so?http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
using this as an example, I'm never saying the Caps scouts are right, I'm saying it's too early to judge today.
Edit, and no one here seems to have the ability to judge players better then Caps scouts in the past. If you want to take out the past fine, it's irrelevent, you can't judge a draft on the day of the draft.

Does anyone remember the tears that were spilled when Grebauer and Holtby were drafted. Yes that's right folks you were complaining that their favorite unheard of prospect wasn't taken when we had Varly and Neuvirth in the system.

Last edited:

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Just wanted to say it's awesome that the Capitals drafted an Aussie; first time an Aussie has ever been drafted in the NHL.

Pretty big in the hockey community over here, and whilst the Capitals are a division rival now, I will be making sure I follow him closely, and hopefully he's on the opening roster!

Might even have to pick up a Capitals jersey now with his name on it once he's been assigned a number for camp!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Welcome Aussies.

Don't forget to buy those jerseys. Be happy, you can do it.

He'll be in Hershey next year but maybe due to injuries he could get into some games.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Just wanted to say it's awesome that the Capitals drafted an Aussie; first time an Aussie has ever been drafted in the NHL.

Pretty big in the hockey community over here, and whilst the Capitals are a division rival now, I will be making sure I follow him closely, and hopefully he's on the opening roster!

Might even have to pick up a Capitals jersey now with his name on it once he's been assigned a number for camp!

I love the Aussies! I'm glad we drafted Walker. From what I read he has a good chance to make an NHL career for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad