GDT: Draft Day 2014 (Round 1 6/27, Rounds 2-7 6/28

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Listen man, everything about your statement was inaccurate. You hyperbolically stated that no one had the kid slotted anywhere near where we picked, I immediately showed you a guy working for a major service that had him ranked exactly where we picked him, I found two other services that had him ranked in the teens (one of which was TSN iirc), and a third site that had him ranked 20th.

The second part of your statement was somehow more logically fallacious than what I previously addressed though when you claimed because the ranking services had him slotted differently, it meant that the Caps were wrong in how they evaluated the player. Beyond the fact that there's a prominent fallacy named after that line of reasoning, we know that history is littered with players drafted higher than they were evaluated by media scouting services in every professional sport in this country that turned into absolute stars. Bob Mac alluded to multiple examples of that type of situation in yesterday's broadcast. Simply going slightly off the board, or completely off the board on occasion, doesn't mean that the team has the player pegged incorrectly. It's a part of scouting, an inherently subjective process.

First off, you knew exactly what I was saying with my statement. Having one guy rank a player at or lower then where you drafted him means nothing, as you have already stated. So who cares if one guy ranked him @13. My statement was obviously pointed at the fact that I couldn't find one expert who agreed with our staff in their assessment. You found a couple guys who thought it wasn't a much of a stretch, so that's terrific, most still disagree with our assessment. That point stands.

Second, I can live with taking a stretch every once in while if its surrounded with solid picks, but in this case it was followed by what the majority of experts see as another stretch where we also traded up to do so. So excuse me if I shake my head with the 95% of the hockey world at our draft. I hope I'm wrong and you and the 5% are correct. But I would rather see this franchise make sound decisions rather then go all in on long shots.

butters8814*

OMG, how many people are going to cry about this draft, like if they picked a Dman they would of staretd this year? Again this is a really weak draft. Next year is a really strong draft.

Burakovsky95*

OMG, how many people are going to cry about this draft, like if they picked a Dman they would of staretd this year? Again this is a really weak draft. Next year is a really strong draft.

I don't really see anyone freaking out... You're exaggerating that quite a bit.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

That's really not necessary.

I think most are disappointed in the draft. You think everyone should be excited? In the last 20 years of watching these NHL drafts, there have been a handful of times I have walked away excited about the draft.

This is definitely not one of them. Taking the players out of it, it would seem that the organizational weaknesses were not addressed in any manner, and they wasted extra picks to move up and take players that were seen as reaches.

The players may be good, I trust Mahoney. However it certainly wasn't a shrewd draft, nor one that fills the average fan with hope and excitement.

Will see what grades the Caps get from the pundits....but if anyone gives them better than a C, I will be shocked.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Why are there always a few posters overreacting like this to team criticism? Nobody is on a ledge like you would have people believe.

If I read between the lines your post reads "who cares, weak draft, screw team building until we waste another year of Ovechkin's career"....

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ok so I rushed home to see we drafted Nathan F'in Walker? Sure he is small and fast but I was looking for some fresh blood, and in the end we moved up to take a Hershey guy.

And then we take a Broten bloodline pick.

I think I can make these picks.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=693428
Elgestal, who lists Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin as his favorite NHL player, is also having a productive season as a hard-working, two-way wing. In 19 games, Elgestal has five goals, 14 points and a plus-11 rating with Frolunda's junior team.

"He's very active and involved on every shift," Stubb said. "He's a good skater with a quick shot, highly competitive, determined and used in all game situations. He could improve his overall technical skills."

Elgestal's younger brother, Philip, plays for Frolunda's Elite U-16 Team.
Zero CHLers picked. Getting to the point where they could gut their CHL scouts and no one would notice.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

yeah

Gersich is one of the better skaters in this draft, and while he's not an overly skilled player, his skating and intangibles make him an intriguing prospect. Gersich can be effective offensively because of how well he gains the zone. He speeds equally as fast on the back check, and fights for loose pucks. He can certainly make some plays offensively in open ice, although he's more of a secondary option.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I don't really see anyone freaking out... You're exaggerating that quite a bit.

I think he makes a valid point....I'm not sure how we define "freaking out" but I see plenty of posts essentially concluding that nothing has, or will change with the new gm running things before his first draft is over and before his first FA period has even started

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
I think we're all laughing at you and your ardent defense of Management honestly. I already said I was ok with the 1st. The trade up for the goalie is a head scratcher. Overall it just doesn't appear the organizational reasoning has changed. Guess we'll get another chance to second guess Management in a few days. I wonder if you'll still tow the company line and return to chastise us fans who want more competence from those in charge. I get it though from your perspective, much safer to sit on the sidelines and defend rather than suggesting bold alternatives. You'll never be wrong if you don't try.

It's not an ardent defense of management, it's a simple understanding of how hockey teams are ran. You want to know why they traded up to draft that goalie, because Nashville was going to take him with their second rounder, and they wanted him. WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
mind=blown, amazingness.
Want to know why they traded up for Nathan, they probably heard he was going to be taken before their forth, maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't they just didn't really like all that many players left, and wanted Nathan so made sure they got him. You guys know teams and scouts talk, they all have an understanding of how much each other is liked or disliked, and giving who's on the caps bench now, to suggest they knew Nashville, or their scouts at least were interested in the goalie in the second isn't a stretch at all.

BUT THEY DIDN'T DRAFT A CENTER, thats the way the cookie crumbles, holy ****. It's a draft, wait till anyone does anything in the NHL before you complain, if the rosters the same as it is now come September, yes complain all you want, but let the guy enter FA before you start this ****.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
On the plus side, if there's one thing this scouting team has proven to be good at, it's drafting skill wingers.

I'm just aware that the 13th pick was one of their best trade assets, and that just makes it that much harder to make a deal. I'm not really worried about sacrificing picks to move up in a weak draft. If they've identified players they want, no reason not to go get them. That third round pick could have been something, but I guess they didn't have anyone they liked around that pick.

Hopefully they're in on the Gorges talks.

Alzner - Carlson
Gorges - Niskanen
Orlov - Green

is really pretty deep with quality, and really features only Gorges that isn't at least a passable puck mover.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
On the plus side, if there's one thing this scouting team has proven to be good at, it's drafting skill wingers.

I'm just aware that the 13th pick was one of their best trade assets, and that just makes it that much harder to make a deal. I'm not really worried about sacrificing picks to move up in a weak draft. If they've identified players they want, no reason not to go get them. That third round pick could have been something, but I guess they didn't have anyone they liked around that pick.

Hopefully they're in on the Gorges talks.

Alzner - Carlson
Gorges - Niskanen
Orlov - Green

is really pretty deep with quality, and really features only Gorges that isn't at least a passable puck mover.

If that happens I'd trade Green for whatever, flip Orlov to RD, and bring up Schmidt or ride Hillen on the left side.

Now I'm worried they unload the first round pick for next year.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If that happens I'd trade Green for whatever, flip Orlov to RD, and bring up Schmidt or ride Hillen on the left side.

Now I'm worried they unload the first round pick for next year.

In that scenario, Green + 1st in a rather deep draft + Mojo/Brouwer gets quite a bit of player, I would reckon. I'm not exactly eager to trade that pick, but I don't see it being in the McDavid/Eichel lotto.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
In that scenario, Green + 1st in a rather deep draft + Mojo/Brouwer gets quite a bit of player, I would reckon. I'm not exactly eager to trade that pick, but I don't see it being in the McDavid/Eichel lotto.

But you never know. It'd never happen, but if we're low going into next year TDL I'd probably unload for top picks next year and sell out to trade up for one of those 2. It won't happen because we've got Ovi and will never "rebuild" or retool with him on the team, but a deep draft isn't something I like trading out of.

I think the only reason I'd be okay with it is if we got a young and up and coming 2C with 1C potential. Another question is, how do we get Gorges if we still have Mojo/Brouwer on our team? In that scenario, who did we trade to get him?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What the influx of down the line wingers perhaps does is make Burakovsky but definitely Barber more readily available. Perhaps Walker being available in Hershey if need be makes a guy like Brown available as well but that's about it and that doesn't change the overall organizational complexion too much.

Picking eariler than they usually do, regardless of whether it was a weaker draft or not, should have led to more in the first four rounds given the picks they entered with. They likely panicked in two situations in order to get their guy and paid handsomely in order to be sure they'd get them.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I question why they'd make Burakovsky avaliable when he looks like a year out. Unless he's the center fold of a trade bringing back a great asset; he, Kuzya, and Bowey are about untouchable in my eyes. There's just too much high-end potential to unload them now. Maybe something like Barber/Wilson, prospect, and a low pick for Gorges?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
It's not an ardent defense of management, it's a simple understanding of how hockey teams are ran. You want to know why they traded up to draft that goalie, because Nashville was going to take him with their second rounder, and they wanted him. WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
mind=blown, amazingness.
Want to know why they traded up for Nathan, they probably heard he was going to be taken before their forth, maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't they just didn't really like all that many players left, and wanted Nathan so made sure they got him. You guys know teams and scouts talk, they all have an understanding of how much each other is liked or disliked, and giving who's on the caps bench now, to suggest they knew Nashville, or their scouts at least were interested in the goalie in the second isn't a stretch at all.

BUT THEY DIDN'T DRAFT A CENTER, thats the way the cookie crumbles, holy ****. It's a draft, wait till anyone does anything in the NHL before you complain, if the rosters the same as it is now come September, yes complain all you want, but let the guy enter FA before you start this ****.

So we are wrong because we don't know the inside info like Nashville was going to draft our guy, and our guy is alot better then projected, and, Walker wasn't going to be there in the 4th round, ect... But your right even though you don't have any of that data either???

How about this for a mind blowing thought. In a weak draft (which most believe this was) outside the top 20ish everyone is a crap shoot so take as many pics as possible and just take the next guy on the board! Twice we traded up for a long shot pick who wasn't any better then next 10 guys. That's reality right now. I would be willing to put 50 bucks down that says 5 years from now, the Blues 2014 draft destroys ours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->