Prospect Info: Draft Boards - Specific to our own Member Draft Boards

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That time year where we approach the draft and we can put out there our own misguided lists. We will see if this thread is overkill with the who we pick at six, I think that is a more narrow focus than what some of this evolves into in terms of past years but let me know if you guys/gal think separating hurts the discussion.

In any event thought I would take a crack at a top 35 and keep building out to get to hopefully around 70 before the draft.

1.) Hughes
2.) Turcotte
3.) Kakko
4.) Broberg
5.) Dach
6.) Byram
7.) Cozens
8.) Krebs
9.) Podkolzin
10.) Boldy
11.) York
12.) Newhook
13.) Caufield
14.) Seider
15.) Zegras
16.) Knight
17.) Heinola
18.) Suzuki
19.) Beecher
20.) Hoglander
21.) Lavoie
22.) Bjornfot
23.) Harley
24.) Robertson, N
25.) Kaliyev
26.) Soderstrom
27.) Tomasino
28.) Johnson, R
29.) Afanasyev
30.) Poulin
31.) Puistola
32.) Robertson, M
33.) Grewe
34.) LaCombe
35.) Struble

If you have a top 15 or top 30 board please post them and let's discuss them. Starting to get pumped for this draft, curious to see how things differ under Stevie.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guess I'll post mine now since @The Zetterberg Era just had to jump the gun on this... :laugh:

1- Hughes
2- Kakko
----------
3- Turcotte
4- Byram
5- Cozens
6- Krebs
7- Dach
8- Zegras
9- Boldy
10- Podkolzin
----------
11- Newhook
12- Broberg
13- Knight
14- York
15- Brink
16- Soderstrom
17- Kaliyev
18- Caufield
19- Pelletier
20- Suzuki
21- Heinola
22- Tomasino
------------
23- Seider
24- Lavoie
25- Harley
26- Dorofeyev
27- Hoglander
28- N Robertson
29- Poulin
30- Thomson
31- Rees
32- Cajkovic
33- M Robertson
34- McMichael
35- Foote
36- Kolyachonok
37- Korczak
38- Holmstrom
39- R Johnson
40- Bjornfot

HM: Alexandrov, Henriksson, Leason, Lacombe, Vlasic, Warren

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Hughes
Kakko

Turcotte

Byram

Krebs
Dach
Cozens

Boldy
Zegras

Knight
Podkolzin

Caufield

Heinola
York
Newhook

Broberg
Seider

I think there is a clear block of 15 or so players that you can consider after the top 2. The gaps between the players are all pretty small for me. I can see the argument to be made with all of the above players. Really good year for the Americans and WHL. I'm a big believer in Knight. He's the most likely one to slip, would love it if the Red Wings trade up for him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think I'm only good for a top 15. There are so many players later on that I just can't decide between.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Turcotte
5. Krebs
6. Cozens
7. Zegras

8. Dach
9. Broberg
10. Boldy
11. Caufield

12. York
12. Podkolzin
13. York
14. Seider
15. Soderstrom

and, honestly, picks 13-15 are just a crapshoot here for me. It's a defenseman free-for-all.

Edit: it occurs to me that I forgot Podkolzin. Steve would be so angry with me.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
That time year where we approach the draft and we can put out there our own misguided lists. We will see if this thread is overkill with the who we pick at six, I think that is a more narrow focus than what some of this evolves into in terms of past years but let me know if you guys/gal think separating hurts the discussion.

In any event thought I would take a crack at a top 35 and keep building out to get to hopefully around 70 before the draft.

1.) Hughes
2.) Turcotte
3.) Kakko
4.) Broberg
5.) Dach
6.) Byram
7.) Cozens
8.) Krebs
9.) Podkolzin
10.) Boldy
11.) York
12.) Newhook
13.) Caufield
14.) Seider
15.) Zegras
16.) Knight
17.) Heinola
18.) Suzuki
19.) Beecher
20.) Hoglander
21.) Lavoie
22.) Bjornfot
23.) Harley
24.) Robertson, N
25.) Kaliyev
26.) Soderstrom
27.) Tomasino
28.) Johnson, R
29.) Afanasyev
30.) Poulin
31.) Puistola
32.) Robertson, M
33.) Grewe
34.) LaCombe
35.) Struble

If you have a top 15 or top 30 board please post them and let's discuss them. Starting to get pumped for this draft, curious to see how things differ under Stevie.
So , you put Broberg at #4 and Byram slide to #6 ,just like doctor order

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Krebs
6. Dach
7. Boldy
8. Cozens
9. Podkolzin
10. Zegras
11. Newhook
12. Broberg
13. York
14. Kaliyev
15. Caufield

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So , you put Broberg at #4 and Byram slide to #6 ,just like doctor order

I think Broberg will wind up the better player was my ultimate tipping point there. As much as I loved what Byram did a lot of this year and especially in the playoffs, I think Broberg has top 10 potential in this league and ultimately I don't think Byram does. I see him as more of a Morgan Rielly and yes I am openly saying I don't consider Morgan Rielly one of the 10 best D-man in the league, probably wouldn't make my top 15. He isn't very good at defense, like in the way people talk about Karlsson and blow it a little out of proportion is actually how I think Rielly plays defense. Like Coffey in his Wings days, there is more to this thing than points. Time will tell.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
1. NJD- Jack Hughes
2. NYR- Kaapo Kakko
3. CHI- Alex Turcotte
4. COL- Bowen Byram
5. LAK- Kirby Dach
6. DET- Trevor Zegras
7. BUF- Dylan Cozens
8. EDM- Vasily Podkozlin
9. ANA- Peyton Krebs
10. VAN- Cole Caufield
11. PHI- Matthew Boldy
12. MIN- Victor Soderstrom
13. FLA- Arthur Kaliyev
14. ARI- Alex Newhook
15. MTL- Moritz Seider

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am openly saying I don't consider Morgan Rielly one of the 10 best D-man in the league, probably wouldn't make my top 15. He isn't very good at defense, like in the way people talk about Karlsson and blow it a little out of proportion is actually how I think Rielly plays defense. Like Coffey in his Wings days, there is more to this thing than points. Time will tell.

I could really tee off on this because I agree, but I enjoy what we are aiming to discuss in this thread too much.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram

4. Turcotte
5. Zegras
6. Dach
7. Krebs
8. Cozens
9. Caufield
10. Podkolzin

11. Newhook
12. Broberg
13. Boldy

14. York
15. Seider
I'll stop at 15 but Heinola, Kaliyev, Soderstrom and Knight are a few other guys I'd be interested in.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
My top 10. This is my draft board, not a mock draft.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Podkolzin
5. Turcotte
6. Cozens
7. Dach
8. Caufield
9. Zegras
10. Broberg

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think it is because we are old and probably overvalue size.

It's all those years of Babcock pressers, great long-game Babs... :laugh:

When I see size and playmaking combined, I get this image of Todd Bertuzzi and Getzlaf that's hard to pass on. Size is certainly not a top concern, but I think Dach is as good at making plays as the other guys and also huge. So... He's my guy.

And I say this as someone that regrets our team didn't take Quinn Hughes last year. That was too much skill too pass up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it is because we are old and probably overvalue size.

It's all those years of Babcock pressers, great long-game Babs... :laugh:
When I see size and playmaking combined, I get this image of Todd Bertuzzi and Getzlaf that's hard to pass on. Size is certainly not a top concern, but I think Dach is as good at making plays as the other guys and also huge. So... He's my guy.

And I say this as someone that regrets our team didn't take Quinn Hughes last year. That was too much skill too pass up.

One thing I will say is this, the farther I have gone down this prospect rabbit hole, and the more people I have talked to, the more I understand why team's value consistency and compete level the way they do. I have killed Holland (Babs too) for overvaluing it when it's not matched with a requisite skill level, but I totally get why it is something they covet now.

I used to think, OK just give me the most talented guys and we will fix them. Now I understand why there are faults in that way of thinking. If I didn't have any reservations there, I would put Dach top 5 all day. But I can't put him over Krebs who you know exactly what you are getting, where he is going to push the play and drive his line every night. More extreme examples, but it's a similar issue that I have with Kaliyev and Lavoie. Those guys are much more talented than where I have them ranked, but I found myself having to hedge on them because they feel like those enigmatic frustrating talents that are hard to rely on.

I will be pumped if we get Dach. He has been my guess as far as who we will pick all year. The potential is great, I am just going to wait and see a little on if he finds a way to light more of a fire inside before I pump him up too much. If he can I will go over to the prospect board with you guys and we can suplex some people.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

1.) Hughes
2.) Turcotte
3.) Kakko
4.) Broberg
5.) Dach
6.) Byram
7.) Cozens
8.) Krebs
9.) Podkolzin
10.) Boldy
11.) York
12.) Newhook
13.) Caufield
14.) Seider
15.) Zegras
16.) Knight
17.) Heinola
18.) Suzuki
19.) Beecher
20.) Hoglander
21.) Lavoie
22.) Bjornfot
23.) Harley
24.) Robertson, N
25.) Kaliyev
26.) Soderstrom
27.) Tomasino
28.) Johnson, R
29.) Afanasyev
30.) Poulin
31.) Puistola
32.) Robertson, M
33.) Grewe
34.) LaCombe
35.) Struble

I will call you out on this since no one else will, why the f*** do you Turcotte about Kakko? Kakko is likely to be the best player in the draft even better than Hughes. Turcotte does not belong above him. Turcotte does nothing better tham Kakko.

Broberg being above Bryam is also crazy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will call you out on this since no one else will, why the **** do you Turcotte about Kakko? Kakko is likely to be the best player in the draft even better than Hughes. Turcotte does not belong above him. Turcotte does nothing better tham Kakko.

I think he drives play and is a complete player. He is Dylan Larkin with more hockey IQ and hands. That is a really valuable player. I think Hughes is one of the ten offensive talents I have ever seen. I think both will impact their teams more than the upgraded Dany Heatley. Hey but time will tell. I don't see superstar with Kakko, I really don't. I think he will be very good, I think he will be an all-star, but I think I am going to feel about him roughly the same way I felt about Rick Nash for most of his career. He is really good but meh below the faceoff circle winger... I know that can be kind of hard on Nash but he just never struck fear in you as an opponent for me. Just not as high on him.

For me Broberg is a big homerun swing. I think if Broberg maxes out he is a very special player. It is a dicey pick, for instance if they went Dach or Cozens I would not fault the Wings at all, those are safer picks to reach a big impact level. I like a lot of these guys, I am not sure they will be the kind of impact players NHL wise some are hoping for. I think they will be solid and someone or a couple teams are going to get very lucky in the top 10. I hope we are one of them when all is said an done no matter who we grab.

Just my opinion, not presenting it as doctrine gospel or anything other are fine to feel differently and rate Kakko #1 for all I care.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I will call you out on this since no one else will, why the **** do you Turcotte about Kakko? Kakko is likely to be the best player in the draft even better than Hughes. Turcotte does not belong above him. Turcotte does nothing better tham Kakko.

Calm down bud. It’s his personal ranking of players. We’re talking about prospects and skill sets that vary greatly, and not everyone is going to feel the same as you.

The same feeling you get about Kakko is how he feels about Turcotte and Broberg. It’s how I feel about Krebs. It’s going to be different for everyone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he drives play and is a complete player. He is Dylan Larkin with more hockey IQ and hands. That is a really valuable player. I think Hughes is one of the ten offensive talents I have ever seen. I think both will impact their teams more than the upgraded Dany Heatley. Hey but time will tell. I don't see superstar with Kakko, I really don't. I think he will be very good, I think he will be an all-star, but I think I am going to feel about him roughly the same way I felt about Rick Nash for most of his career. He is really good but meh below the faceoff circle winger... I know that can be kind of hard on Nash but he just never struck fear in you as an opponent for me. Just not as high on him.

For me Broberg is a big homerun swing. I think if Broberg maxes out he is a very special player. It is a dicey pick, for instance if they went Dach or Cozens I would not fault the Wings at all, those are safer picks to reach a big impact level. I like a lot of these guys, I am not sure they will be the kind of impact players NHL wise some are hoping for. I think they will be solid and someone or a couple teams are going to get very lucky in the top 10. I hope we are one of them when all is said an done no matter who we grab.

Turcotte is a great prospect. Hockeyprospect.com ranked him #4 and they said he is the best prospect they have ever ranked #4.

Eliminate the mono and the hip injury and we are very possibly taking about a big 3 for this draft as opposed to a big 2 (IMO).

If we are able to get him I will be beyond ecstatic.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Calm down bud. It’s his personal ranking of players. We’re talking about prospects and skill sets that vary greatly, and not everyone is going to feel the same as you.

The same feeling you get about Kakko is how he feels about Turcotte and Broberg. It’s how I feel about Krebs. It’s going to be different for everyone.

Give it is a rest. EVERY single reputable mock draft and scouting ranking has Kakko at 1 or 2. This isn't like the Nolan Patrick draft where he went 2nd but there was betterr players below him. Hughes and Kakko have seperated themselved from the pack.

Saying Turcotte at 2 just to be different or shake things up is what people like Craig Button does to try and stay relevant.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Give it is a rest. EVERY single reputable mock draft and scouting ranking has Kakko at 1 or 2. This isn't like the Nolan Patrick draft where he went 2nd but there was betterr players below him. Hughes and Kakko have seperated themselved from the pack.

Saying Turcotte at 2 just to be different or shake things up is what people like Craig Button does to try and stay relevant.

No, you need to calm down. No need to get so upset over something so insignificant.

Reactions: RedMenace

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Just my opinion, not presenting it as doctrine gospel or anything other are fine to feel differently and rate Kakko #1 for all I care.

Kakko put up 22 goals and 38 points in 45 games in the finnish league, a mens league. He was strong at the WJC and dominant at the WC.

If he was a center he would be taken 1st overall. He is one of the best finnish prospects ever. He projects as an even better version of a Rantanen type player.

Turcotte projects as a 2nd line center and would be lucky to develop as Larkin did.

Kakko will be better...significantly better.

As for Broberg here is a guy who had 9 points in the 2nd swedish league. Bryam was over a point a game player and having watched Bryam he is going to be a stud.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Not going to go to in depth, but as of right now my top 10 looks something like this:
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
——————
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
——————
5. Zegras
6. Podkolzin
7. Dach
8. Caufield
——————
9. Cozens