Draft attendees - how was your experience?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
i raked out WAY too much cash for that but i'm glad i went and i'll probably go the next time the draft is in a cheaper and more unconventional hockey market.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I got a good photo with your namesake at the draft. :)

The draft was a fun time - met so many nice folks in and around the building. Lots to see and do and the event itself was, well, eventful! Good times.

Awesome! Apparently I missed Marty by a few minutes at the media entrance on Friday. Somebody said he was happily signing autographs / doing pictures with the folks camped out there.

65098672_10106705421004384_7213789184455081984_o.jpg

As the draft was winding down, I made my way towards the Devils table. It was kinda funny, the security guard (guy in glasses) was hyping me to bug Brodeur. I was a little apprehensive since I know he has a nice signature and a "buzz off" signature. Eventually worked up the nerve as Marty was walking up the aisle.

64926804_10106705421049294_4863127212255084544_o.jpg

He didn't seem particularly thrilled to sign, which was completely understandable. After he signed mine, a small group started coming his way.

Had a good time as always, I wish I had had more time to explore the downtown area. Spent most of my two days just at the rink.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i raked out WAY too much cash for that but i'm glad i went and i'll probably go the next time the draft is in a cheaper and more unconventional hockey market.

Seattle's been pushing to host the 2021 Draft, but they're not sure the arena renovations will be completed by June 2021.

I seem to have better experiences from attending Day 2 of the draft. Just easier to navigate with fewer people and there's a bit more of a relaxed environment. Plus it's a million times easier to ID a prospect wearing a jersey than trying to pick out a teenager in a suit. I kinda laughed after Day 1 at this family who "saw" John Beecher and chased him down for a picture. The guy was most definitely not John Beecher, unless I grew five inches recently.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
IMO, worth it to at least experience once. I decided to go both days, when i only planned for Day 1. Day 1 was exciting though and nice to talk to some fans who at least know some of the players. But it was very tiring; next time, i think i'd only do day 1. The arena was not full either days. Holy, there were a lot of empty seats on Day 1. The supply should not have been this low, i think a lot of families did not show up.

Day 2 was more relaxed, but ughhh i sat next to some of the most awful girls. When prospects were drafted and their photos popped up on the jumbotron, she said "Ohhh Rees that's my husband" I was like WTF. She said the same thing about Afanasyev. Then when Robertson got drafted, she was talking about how hot he was. It was so cringe, i got up at that point and moved. Thank god, the host said i could move anywhere because there was a lot of room.

I found the top prospects relatively noticeable. At least, the ones that attended the combine. I walked home behind Krebs on his little scooter thing. It was pretty funny looking. I saw Dustin Wolf just running around the concourse before day 2 and that kid looked super nervous. The bad part is also seeing a kid not get selected. I've got a good guess of who it is. Throughout the 7th round, his head was in his hands. Then I saw him stand up right when the last pick got announced, demand something (either car keys or hotel keys) from his dad while looking super upset. The dad tried to calm him down, when that didn't work, he handed over the key and the kid ran out of our section. All of the agents were in the same area and they definitely took notice of it too.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Was fine in general. I would have been happy to catch it on TV but my kid is 10 and wanted to go plus a hockey buddy that I geek out with on draft stuff was dying to go. My only real complaint was the crowd behaviour in general. The booing was tiresome after the first 1 or 2 or 25 times. If I was at home I would have gone and made dinner during the Boston pick, there was enough time. Also the chatter was a bit rough for a 10 year old, which isn't surprising or even my biggest gripe, but it did remind me why I won't take him to a game in the nosebleeds.

Edit: Should point out I went Day 1 only.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
IMO, worth it to at least experience once. I decided to go both days, when i only planned for Day 1. Day 1 was exciting though and nice to talk to some fans who at least know some of the players. But it was very tiring; next time, i think i'd only do day 1. The arena was not full either days. Holy, there were a lot of empty seats on Day 1. The supply should not have been this low, i think a lot of families did not show up.

Day 2 was more relaxed, but ughhh i sat next to some of the most awful girls. When prospects were drafted and their photos popped up on the jumbotron, she said "Ohhh Rees that's my husband" I was like WTF. She said the same thing about Afanasyev. Then when Robertson got drafted, she was talking about how hot he was. It was so cringe, i got up at that point and moved. Thank god, the host said i could move anywhere because there was a lot of room.

I found the top prospects relatively noticeable. At least, the ones that attended the combine. I walked home behind Krebs on his little scooter thing. It was pretty funny looking. I saw Dustin Wolf just running around the concourse before day 2 and that kid looked super nervous. The bad part is also seeing a kid not get selected. I've got a good guess of who it is. Throughout the 7th round, his head was in his hands. Then I saw him stand up right when the last pick got announced, demand something (either car keys or hotel keys) from his dad while looking super upset. The dad tried to calm him down, when that didn't work, he handed over the key and the kid ran out of our section. All of the agents were in the same area and they definitely took notice of it too.
So much pressure on these kids its insane. Not that it detracts from how seriously anyone takes it, but I almost prefer hearing from a prospect drafted in the mid-late rounds that they didn't attend the draft and were off doing something else. It shows that they are able to take a step back and not be overly concerned with things beyond their control. In my experience these players end up being signed and making pro more often than not (Corrado, LaBate, Hutton, Gaudette for example since I've been following the draft)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Seattle's been pushing to host the 2021 Draft, but they're not sure the arena renovations will be completed by June 2021.

I seem to have better experiences from attending Day 2 of the draft. Just easier to navigate with fewer people and there's a bit more of a relaxed environment. Plus it's a million times easier to ID a prospect wearing a jersey than trying to pick out a teenager in a suit. I kinda laughed after Day 1 at this family who "saw" John Beecher and chased him down for a picture. The guy was most definitely not John Beecher, unless I grew five inches recently.

Day 1 was really exciting and I was definitely more interested/educated in the players available then. Time between picks seemed to go by way quicker than it ever did while watching at home. Could hear absolutely nothing said a lot of the time however -- didn't realize how badly Podkolzin's name was butchered, didn't hear a single thing from Bettman, didn't realize Dallas corrected the "Harley Thomas" mistake.

Day 2 was absolutely better to me though -- most likely because I hate the majority of casual sports fans. :laugh:

DwM4Ugw.jpg

Was situated here (while on day 1 I was kinda in the bottom corner of the upper bowl) with no one else really close except another random prospect nerd that happened to join by where my squad was sitting.

The one thing I really didn't want to be able to see the 2nd day was dejected undrafted players and I luckily wasn't able to see that from where I was. I could still see the families reacting to selections and it warmed my heart a little when Dustin Wolf finally got picked.

Most of this I'm looking at retrospect though, since the JT Miller trade really ruffled my feathers at the time.

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
It was amazing !

Met Wayne Gretzky, Can Neely , Quin and Jack and many more.

Also didnt have to listen to 3 hrs of broadcast about how every pick and player is a great pick and player !

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Day 2, I had some woman behind me sarcastically woo-ing every pick. That got old real fast, and she did it for at least 10 straight picks and I had to change seats.

Then sat nearby some awkward teenagers who were critiquing each pick (poorly). I figured it was mostly fruitless endeavor to chat with them, but I couldn't help myself after one of them said "St. Louis is stupid (for drafting a goalie with the last pick of the 3rd round). Binnington almost won Rookie of the Year!" I had to point out that the draftee was 18 and Binnington was 26. If they were lucky enough for the drafted goalie to pan out in 4-5 years, Binnington might already be a free agent.

But for the most part, everybody else was pretty cool. Extra kudos to the guy who tapped me on the shoulder when Jack Hughes appeared for a brief moment after round 1. Unfortunately I took too long to try to fish out a puck.

I had a nice conversation with a family who made the trip up from Everett, they seemed genuinely happy that I knew the team / where they're from. The mother was rocking a game used Dustin Wolf jersey. It was nice to hear the commotion from the ~40 Everett fans that had stuck around in the 7th round for Wolf to get taken. It must've been a long few hours for him.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Day 2, I had some woman behind me sarcastically woo-ing every pick. That got old real fast, and she did it for at least 10 straight picks and I had to change seats.

Then sat nearby some awkward teenagers who were critiquing each pick (poorly). I figured it was mostly fruitless endeavor to chat with them, but I couldn't help myself after one of them said "St. Louis is stupid (for drafting a goalie with the last pick of the 3rd round). Binnington almost won Rookie of the Year!" I had to point out that the draftee was 18 and Binnington was 26. If they were lucky enough for the drafted goalie to pan out in 4-5 years, Binnington might already be a free agent.

But for the most part, everybody else was pretty cool. Extra kudos to the guy who tapped me on the shoulder when Jack Hughes appeared for a brief moment after round 1. Unfortunately I took too long to try to fish out a puck.

I had a nice conversation with a family who made the trip up from Everett, they seemed genuinely happy that I knew the team / where they're from. The mother was rocking a game used Dustin Wolf jersey. It was nice to hear the commotion from the ~40 Everett fans that had stuck around in the 7th round for Wolf to get taken. It must've been a long few hours for him.

Did the Dad have a mullet? I might have met them, too. Props to the Everett fans that attended - ran into lots of their season ticket holders who'd made the trek just to cheer on the kids in the draft. The cheer when Wolf got picked was the highlight of Day 2, IMO.

I got pretty lucky both days - Day 1 we sat by some very drunk, but fortunately quite friendly Canuck fans. Also a very nice lady Philly fan who we chatted with a bit. Day 2 we sat near a few pleasant Canuck fans that we chatted animatedly with about all the happenings and goings on - by and large, everyone I ran into was friendly. I think I bumped into Brodeur right after your autograph, I was a little ways up the stairs from that area - maybe he had to go to the bathroom or something. :laugh:

Nicest hockey guys I met were Ron Delorme and Farhan Lalji. Delorme stopped, chatted, autographed, photographed, and shared his thoughts on who the Canucks would pick that day. Easy to see why he's so respected within the organization. Couldn't meet a friendlier guy. Lalji was awesome too - stopped, asked for your name, shook hands, all that good stuff.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think I bumped into Brodeur right after your autograph, I was a little ways up the stairs from that area - maybe he had to go to the bathroom or something. :laugh:

Funny moment right around then was some random guy in a suit carrying a briefcase who tried to get on the draft floor without a credential. Security stopped him and he begged to get one selfie with him on the stage. The briefcase killed me though. Nobody on the floor had a briefcase. I was picturing this guy plotting at home how to get on the floor and how to make himself look more official. But I can say from experience, sometimes if you're wearing a suit nobody asks questions. I accidentally ended up backstage at the 2015 Awards Show because I was silly and decided to wear a suit. I asked security where the nearest exit was and the guy led me backstage and nobody said anything.

I think the Everett dad had a mullet, but can't remember for sure. Their kid had a Carter Hart jersey, I forget which one the dad had. Props for the Everett folks for making the drive up for sure.

Saw the TSN guys after day 1. Bob in particular wasn't in the mood to talk with fans, which was understandable since they had a long day and probably wanted dinner. By the time I got back to my hotel, I was lazy and just went to a McDonald's across the street. I ran into E.J. Hradek who was slumming it too. He gave me a glare like "I don't really want to talk with fans right now" and I kinda shot back a "I didn't really want to chat with you either" look.

Stayed around for a little while after it ended on Day 2, then went back to hotel, then straight to the airport to catch a flight to Seattle. To my surprise, I was among the Colorado staff checking into Air Canada. Arizona's staff was in the gate next to mine. Also spotted Anaheim GM Bob Murray and LA coach Todd McLellan. So maybe the west coast teams were in a rush to get home for dinner. Sounded like a couple of agents were on my flight, one in particular seemed to be negotiating a minor league deal for his client. Chris Terreri was on my flight as well.

NHL 2019 Entry Draft: Hockey’s future stars descend on Vancouver

A couple of film crews approached me before day 1. Found the one above, naturally they took about 3 seconds of my rambling response of Hughes or Kakko. I think they just wanted me to say "Jack Hughes wooooooo".

I had to sign a waiver for the NHL Network one. For that one, I mentioned how the draft was about taking who would be better in the long run and how Kakko might be closer to a finished product since Hughes hadn't quite grown into his body. Then as soon as the cameraman stopped recording, I joked out loud "Me talking about an 18 year old growing into his body doesn't come off creepy at all...." which got a laugh from the reporter/cameraman.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wasn't able to go to Day 1 but I was there on Day 2 - had a really good time despite not knowing the majority of the players. Got my picture taken with the Cup, met Quinn Hughes, picked up the Draft hat and a puck, ended up standing in line with Bob McKenzie for pizza during the 4th or 5th round but I decided not to bug him while he was getting lunch. I was sitting in the upper bowl for the 2nd round but the people I was sitting near were annoying as hell - if our pick wasn't so close to the top of the round I would have moved earlier. Saw tons of empty seats in the lower bowl and was able to move down into section 114 and the host didn't mind at all. Seeing all the trophies on display was amazing. In 2006 they were all in glass cases which made it tough to get decent pictures of them with the glare and finger prints all over them. I got there early enough I was able to get a great wide shot of all of them without anybody photo bombing it.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would like to mention the audio in the building was dreadful.
Could barely hear anybody speak, gary or teams

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I would like to mention the audio in the building was dreadful.
Could barely hear anybody speak, gary or teams

This is the truth.

Also @Jovofan we must have just missed each other - I stood next to Bob McKenzie while he was ordering his pizza as well! He definitely seemed intent on getting his food, so other than asking to shake his hand, I didn’t bug him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I stood next to Bob McKenzie while he was ordering his pizza as well! He definitely seemed intent on getting his food, so other than asking to shake his hand, I didn’t bug him.

I texted my friends "my sources indicate Bob McKenzie is having pizza for lunch" as I happened to walk by him. He had found a quiet part of the arena and had his back to the rest of the concourse, likely so nobody would bother him.

I went back and watched the first round last night. I felt bad for Peyton Krebs, it made sense that he was still limping due to the surgery but you'd think they would have given him a seat closer to the stage.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Did the Dad have a mullet? I might have met them, too. Props to the Everett fans that attended - ran into lots of their season ticket holders who'd made the trek just to cheer on the kids in the draft. The cheer when Wolf got picked was the highlight of Day 2, IMO.

I got pretty lucky both days - Day 1 we sat by some very drunk, but fortunately quite friendly Canuck fans. Also a very nice lady Philly fan who we chatted with a bit. Day 2 we sat near a few pleasant Canuck fans that we chatted animatedly with about all the happenings and goings on - by and large, everyone I ran into was friendly. I think I bumped into Brodeur right after your autograph, I was a little ways up the stairs from that area - maybe he had to go to the bathroom or something. :laugh:

Nicest hockey guys I met were Ron Delorme and Farhan Lalji. Delorme stopped, chatted, autographed, photographed, and shared his thoughts on who the Canucks would pick that day. Easy to see why he's so respected within the organization. Couldn't meet a friendlier guy. Lalji was awesome too - stopped, asked for your name, shook hands, all that good stuff.
Wait...what? Before they were selected? He was talking about who we’d probably pick with a random guy before they were selected?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I got to go to day 1, it was a blast. So cool to see how they set everything up, with all 31 teams and the media. The fans seemed more open to random discussions with other fans, too. A lot of diehards in the crowd.

It was pretty surreal actually hearing sections of family scream out in joy for when their boy was picked.

I'll definitely be looking to attend next time the draft comes into town. Quite the novel experience.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wait...what? Before they were selected? He was talking about who we’d probably pick with a random guy before they were selected?

It was Day 2 and I asked him if he had any thoughts about who they might pick at #40. His answer, roughly paraphrased, was "there's a lot of moving parts and a few guys we like. Someone might fall into our lap, but we might go with a Western Canadian kid, or we might go with a Swedish kid. There's so much it depends on".

When I got to my seat, I scrolled through some names that were still available and actually settled on Hoglander was my "most likely Swedish kid".

TL;DR - he wasn't divulging privileged info or anything, he was cagey enough - but definitely friendly and amiable.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I just found something funny about walking around in shorts and a t-shirt, while prospects and their families are dressed to the nines for the biggest day of their life.

It was a fun experience, where I sat we were right beside where Bob McKenzie, Button, and McGuire had their booth set up, interesting to see them up close and personal.

There was a super bright spotlight that always seemed to shoot right at my seat which was pretty annoying. I wasn't feeling 100% that day so I didn't stick around for the whole 1st round but I'm glad I went regardless.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I made it over from the island on day 2, got there right after Jimbo traded our third rounder ffs. Glad I went, it was cool to experience. Saw Squire Barnes! I wish I had done more draft study this year, then I might have recognized more of the kids I saw around. Definitely saw the Flames first rounder and the Oilers second rounder. Sat lower bowl for a while, that was cool, didn't realize I wasn't supposed to be there lol, when I tried to reenter they wouldn't let me in.

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Had an awesome time, only went Day 1 but just walking around seeing, meeting, talking to everyone I noticed was awesome. To name some Bowen Byram(awesome guy joked around with him, asked if we wanted pictures, class act) Kappo Kakko(nice guy got a picture, seemed either nervous or disinterested couldnt tell) Alex Newhook(big beauty such a great guy hope the best for him) but for me the best was meeting James Duthie such a nice guy, told him about always being "sick" on trade deadline and free agnecy frenzy and havent missed one in the past 10 years, he loved it and just talked about some stuff that could happen and so happy that he was as nice as I thought he was. PS he wears a LOT of padding in his suit

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

NHL Network did a behind the scenes for draft day, mostly focusing on Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, and Caufield. In case you lined up for autographs before Day 1, they might have gotten you on camera. I make a quick cameo around the 12:30 mark.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Apologies for bumping this old thread but I realized I forgot to share my story here...

Here's my draft story for the ages...I got to the Airbnb late because of traffic just dumped all my crap off and then looked at Google maps... My 30 minute trip via public transportation to the stadium suddenly said 90 mins... That puts me 30 mins late for the first pick... I call a cab. They say 3 minutes... 10 mins later they say all cabs are slammed and it'll be at least 30 more .. that puts me at pick 1 if I'm lucky....

So I literally just start asking random people for rides. I didn't know what else to do...they don't have Uber.

This incredibly nice 20 something lady took pity on me (I offered to pay her 100 dollars for a 20 min car ride). You could tell she was nervous to have some random dude in her car but we actually became fast friends... She actually weaved in and out of traffic and got me to the arena with 10 mins to spare... And then I went to take my money out to pay her and she just says forget about it, pay it forward, and drives off.

Canadians really are awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad