Draft attendees - how was your experience?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm flying up on Thursday. I imagine I'll be the only Devils fan with a jersey with Hughes and Kakko nameplates.

Just from attending previous drafts, definitely hang out in the area after the first round concludes. When I went to 2010 in LA, everybody just spilled over into nearby restaurants for dinner (ie, other years with East Coast drafts, everybody would just head back to their hotels to get ready for Day 2). Definitely easier to get photo opps with players at this point, especially since they're probably more relieved than anything. Plus it's a million times easier to ID a prospect wearing a jersey rather than a normal looking teenager in a suit.

Awesome stuff, are you staying in the downtown area?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Awesome stuff, are you staying in the downtown area?

I'm crashing Thursday night at my old college roommate's place ~25 minutes east of downtown. Friday night I got a relatively decent deal at one of the hotels a couple blocks from the arena.

I've seen a game at Rogers Arena almost a decade ago, but I don't recall the exterior of the arena. In 2017, I accidentally found the back entrance where all the team buses were pulling up, so I got a couple photos / conversations with team officials as they were waiting through the security bottleneck. Does Rogers have an underground entrance? When I went to 2015 in Florida, I think they had an underground entrance, so I didn't see as many people outside the arena that year. But virtually everybody was staying 25 minutes east in Fort Lauderdale, and I'd imagine everybody's just in downtown Vancouver this time.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I work about two blocks away from the arena - Devil's Elbow isn't a bad spot either to go before the game. The place is always packed for Lions + Canucks games, and the vibe is decent. Extra benefit of being ridiculously close to the arena.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm crashing Thursday night at my old college roommate's place ~25 minutes east of downtown. Friday night I got a relatively decent deal at one of the hotels a couple blocks from the arena.

I've seen a game at Rogers Arena almost a decade ago, but I don't recall the exterior of the arena. In 2017, I accidentally found the back entrance where all the team buses were pulling up, so I got a couple photos / conversations with team officials as they were waiting through the security bottleneck. Does Rogers have an underground entrance? When I went to 2015 in Florida, I think they had an underground entrance, so I didn't see as many people outside the arena that year. But virtually everybody was staying 25 minutes east in Fort Lauderdale, and I'd imagine everybody's just in downtown Vancouver this time.

Yeah pretty much, there's stuff to do in downtown so I'm sure you'll be occupied with activities.
There's some good lounges/pubs/places in the area outside of Rogers Arena and beyond, take a gander and I'm sure people will give out directions to and where you'll be headed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I’m proposing 2:30 on Friday at the Boston Pizza on Beatty for anyone who would like to go.

Way to support the Calgary Flames basically. :rolly:

But seriously, anyone who doesn't order the Bandera Pizza Bread is a Cylon probably.

Unfortunately, i'll be thousands of miles away.

Mark Cheung

Sep 7, 2010
Edmonton
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in - but I'm flying down from Edmonton and looking for 2 tickets to the draft (if anyone knows of anyone trying to sell)

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Can you guys do us a solid and boo Benning when he's on stage? Pretty please?

Disclaimer: I'm not Jim Benning's biggest fan, and I'll be watching the draft from my living room.

There are better ways to send a message of disapproval of his management (and especially ownership) than publicly booing him at a draft that we get to host once in a 20-30 year span. Not buying tickets and merchandise will hit where it hurts $$$$$$.

I'm also mindful that Jim Benning's father, Elmer, passed away 6 months ago. If any of you have lost a mother or father, regardless of your age, you can appreciate how it can impact you. So....I'd rather have our fans take the high road and show some class. Over and out.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver

There is an underground entrance most Canuck players use on Griffiths Way. I've seen opposing team's buses parked in that area on street level. So i think they offload ppl there. I don't know how they handle this event though. Others should know better because there's regulars who stand there for signings.

If you are looking for signings, i saw a ton of ppl lined up at Parq (the hotel side) today, when i was walking by. They had a bunch of card books, so i think they were waiting for the top prospects to sign stuff.

I also saw Manny Malhotra at the coffee shop underneath my building. Saw a lot of media walking around with their passes too.

So i finally caved and bought a ticket... just 4xMRSP... :cry:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
There's a BP in terrace thats only a 45min drive thats faster than going to Abbotsford from downtown

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'd like to thank the city of Vancouver for its hospitality! I wish I could have loitered around a little bit longer after Day 2.

I got a good photo with your namesake at the draft. :)

The draft was a fun time - met so many nice folks in and around the building. Lots to see and do and the event itself was, well, eventful! Good times.

Reactions: Brodeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->