Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've never really agreed with the "Safe" comments.

At best, you could make that claim for one player --- Andersson. And even then, I don't think it's fitting.

"Safe" is something that's entered into the board's lexicon, despite asking people to actually explain what they think it means and getting very mixed or inaccurate responses.

It also doesn't help that we seem to increasingly view things as black and white, either/or.

It's not finesse or strength, it's ideally a combination of both.

It's not skill or character, it's both.

It's not risk or safety, it's a balance of the two.

It's not all draft picks or all veterans, it's medley.

We need to stop viewing every decision by this team as all or nothing.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Well, I'll admit I just watched the WJC-18 but Hughes was so much better than Turcotte that I can't see him overthrowing Hughes.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I hear ya TB.

Kravtsov flashed some really nice skill and had a really great playoff in the KHL, but the sample size is probably smaller than any of the guys in the first round. A little reminiscent of Mcilrath and his 'amazing' 3 months where he filled in nicely on his teams top pairing.

My hope is that the pick ends up more Kovalev and less Artum Kryukov.

Loved the other first round picks.

2nd rounder was hot garbage.

Reactions: Ola

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Personally, I don't even think defense was a struggle.

I'll also freely admit, no one is really worried about Hughes is going to defend when the other team can't get the puck from him.

It's what happens with these guys who are touted as #1 OA players.

People get bored of hearing all the praise and start getting nit picky about things that may be lacking.

But the defense thing is the worst argument I can hear against a draft eligible (or in this case, a kid who wasn't even draft eligible) player. Unless they're completely indifferent to playing defense, they'll get better.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's what happens with these guys who are touted as #1 OA players.

People get bored of hearing all the praise and start getting nit picky about things that may be lacking.

But the defense thing is the worst argument I can hear against a draft eligible (or in this case, a kid who wasn't even draft eligible) player. Unless they're completely indifferent to playing defense, they'll get better.

I think it also becomes cool to go with the other guy.

Be it Eichel, or Legwand, or whoever

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I hear ya TB.

Kravtsov flashed some really nice skill and had a really great playoff in the KHL, but the sample size is probably smaller than any of the guys in the first round. A little reminiscent of Mcilrath and his 'amazing' 3 months where he filled in nicely on his teams top pairing.

My hope is that the pick ends up more Kovalev and less Artum Kryukov.

Loved the other first round picks.

There's more to Kravtsov's season than just the KHL playoffs though. He played in the VHL during the Olympics getting 7 in 9, played for the senior national team in April, playing really well. It's pretty rare for someone to play at 4 different levels (MHL, VHL, KHL, National team) in a single season.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
That would be great. We might finally have a roster that has all the needed ingredients, but I don't think Zegras is going to be a second rounder.

I thought I was high on him, and he was going to fly under the radar to everyone except me, and then Pronman and Kournianos come out with lists that have him higher than I did. Unless the depth of his team really squashes his role, I don't think he'll be kept out of the top 15.

Yea I would really like to land 2 out of the 3, Zegras will probably go too high, I really wished they did that on this draft. With the 10th supposedly being shopped, I wish we packaged our late firsts and spooner (given that they went after Reider) to grab that and leave with Dobson. I think that gives us 2 potential impact players instead of just 1, and some nhl'ers hope I'm proven wrong

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
There's more to Kravtsov's season than just the KHL playoffs though. He played in the VHL during the Olympics getting 7 in 9, played for the senior national team in April, playing really well. It's pretty rare for someone to play at 4 different levels (MHL, VHL, KHL, National team) in a single season.

Kravstov needs the ice time, he has the upside, the question will be does he get there. I really hope he pans out, he can be electrifying.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
17's class left me eagerly anticipating 18's class. 18's class didn't dissapoint last season.

19's class looks every bit as entertaining, with higher quality forwards in it's top 10.

Hughes and Turcotte might represent one of the best USA squads ever assembled.

Lavoie was awesome at the U-18's. I felt his was as exciting as Hughes, and Turcotte were. Maybe less skilled but stood out every game. Kid is 6'4 already. I feel like every year Halifax has another potential top 5 pick. Hischier, Zadina...and this year Lavoie. He scored 30 goals there last year as a 16 yr old. Hischier scored 38 a year older. Zadina notched 44 there. I think Lavoie can hit 50.

Also looking forward to Ryan Suzuki. Hoping to get 2 or 3 Barrie Colts games from the NHL network next year. Assuming Svechnikov stays there one more year before coming to Carolina, will be fun to see what Suzuki can do there. Ryan put up similar numbers to Nick in his rookie season. Nick exploded with 45 goals as a sophmore with Owen Sound. Ive heard people say Ryan is better but time will tell. Will definately keep an eye on his progress this season.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kravstov needs the ice time, he has the upside, the question will be does he get there. I really hope he pans out, he can be electrifying.

Going back to Russia after the draft worked out well for Kuznetsov, Malkin, Anisimov and many others. For a smaller team, like Traktor, I think the chances of him having a top-6 role are definitely possible. If he was with Mag, SKA, Jokerit or CSKA, I would prefer to bring him over to the AHL due to him being likely to be playing in a limited role with their depth.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I know the focus so far has been towards the 2019 draft, but are there some realistic targets for UDFA that will be available on 8/15? We've been able to land some fairly impressive players who were either UDFA or unsigned drafted players in recent years (Hayes, Vesey, Pionk, Gilmour).

With our already deep prospect pool, and being a team that is rebuilding, are there any players out there who would be likely signing that could crack the lineup in October? We did well with some European free agents this summer, but as of now, we have a decent amount of contract slots available to use.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's the second round more than anything else that left such a sour taste in my mouth. I was disappointed in Kravystov, but not devastated like when Jessiman or McLrath was picked. Would have rather had Samuelssen than Lidqvist, but it's fine. But the second round? Are you friggin' kidding me?

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
It's the second round more than anything else that left such a sour taste in my mouth. I was disappointed in Kravystov, but not devastated like when Jessiman or McLrath was picked. Would have rather had Samuelssen than Lidqvist, but it's fine. But the second round? Are you friggin' kidding me?

I liked Samuelson in this draft and I was shocked that the Flyers passed him over, once they did I was almost sure he was going to be one of our picks. I had Lundkvist as one of our top 5 options at 28, no problems with that pick. 2nd rounder was wacky, especially with some big names there. A Drury they passed up ! ;)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Way too early top 10 incoming!!!!

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Alex Newhook
6. Vasily Podkolzin
7. Kirby Dach
8. Dylan Cozens
9. Raphael Lavoie
10. Anttoni Honka

HM: Cole Caufield, Peyton Krebs, Alex Vlasic, Matvei Guskov, Victor Soderstrom, Artemi Knyazev, Henri Nikkanen, Mikko Kokkonen, Maxim Cajkovic

Top goalies, IMO, are Spencer Knight and Dustin Wolf.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The Rangers actually don't have have many open contract slots although that could change. As of right now the Rangers have 37 signed contracts and 9 RFAs the team has qualified (offered a contract to a player that the player can accept) totaling 46 contracts. I suspect the team wants to retain contract flexibility if a trade scenario appears.

I have attached an unofficial list of unsigned NCAA players who will be available after August 15. There are no Hayes' on the list and very unlikely that anyone is going to crack the lineup in October. The one name that stood out to me was Boston University right handed defenseman Jonathan MacLeod because of the David Quinn connection and because the team has a deficiency in right handed defensemen. MacLeod was a second round pick by Tamp Bay. I would be interested if anyone has any information about Macleod.

NCAA prospects (August 15 deadline)
Arizona
Jared Fiegl |F|Cornell|2014|#191

Buffalo
Max Willman |F|Brown|2014|#121
Judd Peterson |F|St. Cloud|2012|#205

Columbus
Tyler Bird |F|Brown|2014|#137

Dallas
Michael Prapavessis |D|RPI|2014|#105

Edmonton
Aidan Muir |F|Western Michigan|2013|#113

Los Angeles
Steven Johnson |D|Univ. of Minnesota|2014|#120

Minnesota
Avery Peterson |F|Minnesota-Duluth|2013|#167

Ottawa
Shane Eiserman |F|New Hampshire|2014|#100
Kelly Summers |D|Clarkson|2014|#189

Philadelphia
Terrance Amorosa |D|Clarkson|2013|#132
David Drake |D|Connecticut|2013|#192 Signed to a AHL contract by Lehigh Valley

St. Louis
Dwyer Tschantz |F|Cornell|2014|#202

Tampa Bay
Jonathan MacLeod |D|Boston Univ.|2014|#57

Winnipeg
Matt Ustaski |F|Wisconsin|2014|#192 Signed to a AHL contract by Manitoba
Jack Glover |D|Minnesota|2014|#69

I know the focus so far has been towards the 2019 draft, but are there some realistic targets for UDFA that will be available on 8/15? We've been able to land some fairly impressive players who were either UDFA or unsigned drafted players in recent years (Hayes, Vesey, Pionk, Gilmour).

With our already deep prospect pool, and being a team that is rebuilding, are there any players out there who would be likely signing that could crack the lineup in October? We did well with some European free agents this summer, but as of now, we have a decent amount of contract slots available to use.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Where would Hughes rank if he was in a draft at the same time as past #1 overall picks over the past 10 years or so? What's his ceiling?

Sarge13

May 30, 2018

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Alex Newhook
6. Vasily Podkolzin
7. Kirby Dach
8. Dylan Cozens
9. Raphael Lavoie
10. Anttoni Honka

HM: Cole Caufield, Peyton Krebs, Alex Vlasic, Matvei Guskov, Victor Soderstrom, Artemi Knyazev, Henri Nikkanen, Mikko Kokkonen, Maxim Cajkovic

Good list Joey, did you do one last Summer for '18 draft? Curious to see what you thought a year out....

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Alex Newhook
6. Vasily Podkolzin
7. Kirby Dach
8. Dylan Cozens
9. Raphael Lavoie
10. Anttoni Honka

York is another to keep an eye on. Oozes hockey iq out there, really good read for the game.

Hughes is Hughes, but I think Kaapo Kaako becomes a deluxe version of Max Pac.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ranger Ric- Great stuff!

Saw this though on Ryan M :
“Last summer, I heard some rumors going around that the Lightning had offered MacLeod an entry level contract if he wanted to leave BU early. Weather that’s true or not, he did return to BU for his senior year. Unfortunately for him, the BU coaching staff has decided to ride their younger defensemen this season and he’s only seen four games of action out of 10 games.”

Reactions: Lone Ranger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad