Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I rarely do this, but let's have some fun.

1. Kaapo Kakko
  2. Vasily Podkolzin
  3. Pavel Dorofeyev
  4. Albin Grewe
  5. Anttoni Honka
  6. Antti Saarela
  7. Daniil Gutik
  8. Tobias Bjornfot
  9. Mikko Kokkonen
  10. Henri Nikkanen
Regarding the top-3:

- Kakko is the clear cut no 1 for me. What he has been doing in Liiga is something I have not seen since Barkov. I think he is a lock for top-2, with a good chance of going first overall. In many ways I see the Hughes-Kakko battle as the Matthews-Laine battle in 2016, despite Kakko being a more complete player than Laine. Kakko definitely has a chance to go 1st. Kakko is flatout dominating games in Liiga, against players with NHL experience, at the age of 17.

- Podkolzin has impressed a lot of people with the way he controls games and that game-breaking talent will see him go high in the draft. He dominated at the Hlinka and seems to continue that throughout the season with the u18 team. Him playing for SKA might cause him to drop a bit in the draft. He is unlikely to be called up to the big team, and will spend most of the season in the MHL before getting a shot in VHL with Neva. He plays with a talented group though, including Mozorov (VGK), Altybarmakuan (CHI) and Marchenko (CLB). A bit of an under-the-radar player because of SKAs depth.

- Dorofeyev is another Russian kid who has been impressive. He's an early birthday (October) but with his limited time in the KHL he has already shown glimpses of what he can do. Playing for Stalnye Lisy in the MHL he clarly shows he has already outgrown that league and he is ready for the next step. Whether that will be in the VHL with Yuzhny Ural Orsk or with the big team in Metallurg will depend on how he does in the coming weeks. I expect him to be part of the World Juniors team in Vancouver in December though. That will be a great opportunity for NA-fans to see him play.

*As I've said many times before, I don't really form an opinion on NA prospects because I don't see enough of them.

Reactions: Joey Bones

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Actually, people can afford it. Because fans of those teams just pay for one of the leagues. Nobody pays to watch all 3 leagues, aside from some wannabe scouts
I guess thats true but the fact that the nhl’s streaming service is 140 dollars while a junior leagues is double is insanity.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I guess thats true but the fact that the nhl’s streaming service is 140 dollars while a junior leagues is double is insanity.

CHL isn't a junior hockey league. It's an organization that includes 3 hockey leagues, the WHL, OHL and QMJHL. 80 euros a year for each of those is not anything more than the NHL package.

Q: 18 teams, 68 games
O: 20 teams, 68 games
W: 22 teams, 72 games

That's a total of 612+680+792 = 2084 regular season games for $240, which comes down to 11 cents per game

The NHL has 1271 games for $140 which also comes down to 11 cents per game

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
CHL isn't a junior hockey league. It's an organization that includes 3 hockey leagues, the WHL, OHL and QMJHL. 80 euros a year for each of those is not anything more than the NHL package.

Q: 18 teams, 68 games
O: 20 teams, 68 games
W: 22 teams, 72 games

That's a total of 612+680+792 = 2084 regular season games for $240, which comes down to 11 cents per game

The NHL has 1271 games for $140 which also comes down to 11 cents per game
How isnt the chl a junior hockey league? Its the best junior hockey league in the world but its still junior hockey, the players in the league are between the ages of 16-21. As for pricing the Ahl has 31 teams in it and they play 76 games a year all while charging $80 for a league pass. Why cant the 3 Chl leagues do the same?

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
How isnt the chl a junior hockey league? Its the best junior hockey league in the world but its still junior hockey, the players in the league are between the ages of 16-21. As for pricing the Ahl has 31 teams in it and they play 76 games a year all while charging $80 for a league pass. Why cant the 3 Chl leagues do the same?

Because less people buy the package and they need to pay their upfront costs + make a profit? :dunno:

Reactions: Joey Bones and Edge

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Because less people buy the package and they need to pay their upfront costs + make a profit? :dunno:
This doesn’t change the fact that Ahl used the same streaming service and charged the same exuberent prices. If the three leagues cant afford to charge $80 fine but no way should it cost twice as much as the best hockey league in the world. I’d imagine charging that much certainly doesn’t help increase the amount of people who buy it, infact it prob does the opposite.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
This doesn’t change the fact that Ahl used the same streaming service and charged the same exuberent prices. If the three leagues cant afford to charge $80 fine but no way should it cost twice as much as the best hockey league in the world. I’d imagine charging that much certainly doesn’t help increase the amount of people who buy it, infact it prob does the opposite.

It's a niche product. It's not like the NHL where tens of thousands of fans will gladly fork over the $ to see their favorite team play. The people paying for CHL streaming are probably mostly scouts and a (comparative to the NHL) small amount of rabid fans.

Reactions: Joey Bones and Edge

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I thought I explained it pretty well. The CHL isn't a league. It's basically an umbrella organization which includes 3 leagues.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Patriks Zabusovs with 6 SOG and +/- 0 in HC Riga's 0-4 loss to HC Kapitan. Has 8 goals (7 at ES) and 11 points in 15 MHL games this season and leads his terrible team in points by far (2nd has 7, 3rd has 6). June 2001 birthday.

I'm going to keep an eye on him this year. And by "eye" I mean watch his boxscores.

I have been keeping an eye on him, too. Saw some really nice goals by him earlier in September (I'll see if I can find them). He's got a pretty decent shot. Wonder if he'll get some time with Riga later on in the year.

Edit: Found them, here they are....

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I just don't think they're really comparable. The market is different, the audience is different, the revenue is different, the cost-offset is different, and frankly the structure is different.

The NHL can only play a maximum of 15 games on any given night if they so chose. Those games would attract reasonably sized audiences, and be supported by local advertisers.

If you were to take the same approach with CHL games, you're talking double the number of games, a fraction of the audience, and a fraction of the advertising revenue.

The economies of scale are just very different.

Frankly, I think $240 is a very reasonable price.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I rarely do this, but let's have some fun.

1. Kaapo Kakko
  2. Vasily Podkolzin
  3. Pavel Dorofeyev
  4. Albin Grewe
  5. Anttoni Honka
  6. Antti Saarela
  7. Daniil Gutik
  8. Tobias Bjornfot
  9. Mikko Kokkonen
  10. Henri Nikkanen
Regarding the top-3:

- Kakko is the clear cut no 1 for me. What he has been doing in Liiga is something I have not seen since Barkov. I think he is a lock for top-2, with a good chance of going first overall. In many ways I see the Hughes-Kakko battle as the Matthews-Laine battle in 2016, despite Kakko being a more complete player than Laine. Kakko definitely has a chance to go 1st. Kakko is flatout dominating games in Liiga, against players with NHL experience, at the age of 17.

- Podkolzin has impressed a lot of people with the way he controls games and that game-breaking talent will see him go high in the draft. He dominated at the Hlinka and seems to continue that throughout the season with the u18 team. Him playing for SKA might cause him to drop a bit in the draft. He is unlikely to be called up to the big team, and will spend most of the season in the MHL before getting a shot in VHL with Neva. He plays with a talented group though, including Mozorov (VGK), Altybarmakuan (CHI) and Marchenko (CLB). A bit of an under-the-radar player because of SKAs depth.

- Dorofeyev is another Russian kid who has been impressive. He's an early birthday (October) but with his limited time in the KHL he has already shown glimpses of what he can do. Playing for Stalnye Lisy in the MHL he clarly shows he has already outgrown that league and he is ready for the next step. Whether that will be in the VHL with Yuzhny Ural Orsk or with the big team in Metallurg will depend on how he does in the coming weeks. I expect him to be part of the World Juniors team in Vancouver in December though. That will be a great opportunity for NA-fans to see him play.

*As I've said many times before, I don't really form an opinion on NA prospects because I don't see enough of them.

Finally some love for Dorofeyev!! Been pumping his tires since the summer. So incredible with his speed/strength combo and deservingly getting some KHL action. Could be a big riser, but still under the radar as of now.

I think some other Euro's to keep an eye on are Patrik Puistola and Nikola Pasic. Both started their Jr. A seasons strong and are now getting a look in Liiga (Puistola-Tappara) and SHL (Pasic-Linkoping).

Wiljami Myllyla keeps impressing me as a very solid later round pick!!

Edit: Also, Iivari Rasanen!!

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Finally some love for Dorofeyev!! Been pumping his tires since the summer. So incredible with his speed/strength combo and deservingly getting some KHL action. Could be a big riser, but still under the radar as of now.

I think some other Euro's to keep an eye on are Patrik Puistola and Nikola Pasic. Both started their Jr. A seasons strong and are now getting a look in Liiga (Puistola-Tappara) and SHL (Pasic-Linkoping).

Wiljami Myllyla keeps impressing me as a very solid later round pick!!

Haven't had a chance to see much of Dorofeyev yet. I am curious because I do hear some good things.

For now, I'll defer to those who have seen him. What're you coming away with?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Haven't had a chance to see much of Dorofeyev yet. I am curious because I do hear some good things.

Strong on the puck and has really slick hands. I'd say his shot and stick handling are his biggest strengths. He knows how to score goals and set up plays. It seems like his favorite move is cutting from the boards to the middle of the ice and roofing it. He sort of reminds me of Seguin or DeBrincat in that regard. He could get a little more physical, but he doesn't shy away from physical play. Defensively, he's involved, but could use work just like most 17/18 year olds. He can also strip the puck from defenders on the forecheck. A bonus stat is that he hasn't taken a single penalty all season in both leagues (knock-on-wood). Very interested to see how he does in the KHL going further. All-in-all, he's got a great talent for offense and working on the all around game. He's scored a few beautiful goals earlier in the MHL season that was almost Kravtsov/Podkolzin-like (I'll post that below)....

I'm actually seeing a similar trajectory with him and Kravtsov. Kravtsov was kinda unknown, at least to me, at the start of last season. Then he played well enough to garner a decent amount of games in the KHL and didn't look out of place. Likewise here for Dorofeyev, except even more unknown, IMO. I don't see him going back to the MHL. To me, it seems he looks far superior for junior hockey. Like Podkolzin, I think he should be consistently playing against men, whether it be in the KHL or VHL.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The issue with determining how good he is, is tricky because he's so dominant in the MHL. I want to see him at the World Juniors to get a better look at what he can do. I know Russia rarely invites u19 players to be part of the WJC, but I am still hoping he's part of the team. From what I've seen, he is not afraid to crash the net while carrying the puck up ice. I like his composure. He is never rushing the play. Physically he's quite strong as well. In a way he's like Kravtsov, but I hate to make lazy comparisons haha

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The issue with determining how good he is, is tricky because he's so dominant in the MHL. I want to see him at the World Juniors to get a better look at what he can do. I know Russia rarely invites u19 players to be part of the WJC, but I am still hoping he's part of the team. From what I've seen, he is not afraid to crash the net while carrying the puck up ice. I like his composure. He is never rushing the play. Physically he's quite strong as well. In a way he's like Kravtsov, but I hate to make lazy comparisons haha

I don't think it's a lazy comparison. I think it's quite accurate, to be honest. They both are skilled forwards who aren't entirely physical, but will battle. They have the offensive ability to change games and that's incredibly enticing!!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think it's a lazy comparison. I think it's quite accurate, to be honest. They both are skilled forwards who aren't entirely physical, but will battle. They have the offensive ability to change games and that's incredibly enticing!!

Yeah, it's a good comparison. But I am afraid it will be labeled as a lazy comparison on a Rangers board, because Kravtsov is a Rangers prospect.

Dorofeyev is very much like Kravtsov, even with (as you pointed out) how under-the-radar they are at similar stages in their career. I really hate that Slovan doesn't have an MHL/VHL team

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
I just don't think they're really comparable. The market is different, the audience is different, the revenue is different, the cost-offset is different, and frankly the structure is different.

The NHL can only play a maximum of 15 games on any given night if they so chose. Those games would attract reasonably sized audiences, and be supported by local advertisers.

If you were to take the same approach with CHL games, you're talking double the number of games, a fraction of the audience, and a fraction of the advertising revenue.

The economies of scale are just very different.

Frankly, I think $240 is a very reasonable price.
Prob gonna be my last post on this topic because theres no need to go on about this forever but I agree that if it was $240 for the Entire Chl that would be a really good deal, in fact it could cost more and it would still be a good deal. However, unless I'm looking at this wrong you have to buy the O, the Q, and the W all separately. I personally believe that is way too much money to spend $300 when its not on sale for only one junior hockey league .

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah, it's a good comparison. But I am afraid it will be labeled as a lazy comparison on a Rangers board, because Kravtsov is a Rangers prospect.

Dorofeyev is very much like Kravtsov, even with (as you pointed out) how under-the-radar they are at similar stages in their career. I really hate that Slovan doesn't have an MHL/VHL team

Man, f*** labels. You know more on the topic than most posters on this site, lolol. If the comparison were off, I'd come in for debate. Other than that, I completely agree and can see the similarities!! :nod:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Man, **** labels. You know more on the topic than most posters on this site, lolol. If the comparison were off, I'd come in for debate. Other than that, I completely agree and can see the similarities!! :nod:

Thanks man. I'm happy people appreciate my opinion. Man, I remember how thrilled we were when we drafted Brad Morrison. And we weere wrong about him so who knows ;)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks man. I'm happy people appreciate my opinion. Man, I remember how thrilled we were when we drafted Brad Morrison. And we weere wrong about him so who knows ;)

Well it's not like we were wrong.... he just didn't develop they way we all hoped or saw. At least he's played his way to an ELC with the Kings. That way if he does play in the NHL that means we were never wrong and NYR management are the ones to blame, lolol.

#HireUsAsScouts

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well it's not like we were wrong.... he just didn't develop they way we all hoped or saw. At least he's played his way to an ELC with the Kings. That way if he does play in the NHL that means we were never wrong and NYR management are the ones to blame, lolol.

#HireUsAsScouts

Only if you can ensure that Podkolzin ends up here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

#HireUsAsScouts

I will sign up to be a Rangers scout in Europe. I already travel anyway. Might as well make some extra money haha

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

#HireUsAsScouts

No Joey, you were wrong.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

So wrong.

Fill in the blank - “Joey was ____.”

Wrong for a thousand, Alex.

The opposite of right is?

You is wrong, boy!

The opposite of right ain’t left, it’s WRONG!

Make it an extra value meal of wrong.

Eenie, meanie, minie, WRONG!

Wrong squared.

Gimme a W. Gimme a R. Gimme an O. Gimme a N. Gimme a G.

What’s it spell? Wrong.

Wrongo on the Rongos.

A brighter shade of wrong.

Sorry wrong number.

Tony the Tiger says, “Thery’re wrrrrrrrrrong!”

#Wrong

#FiredAsScouts

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Watched the Lethbridge Kootaney game tonight, because I was interested in watching Krebs and Cozens.
Cozens looked awesome, I dont agree but I atleast understand why PB had him so high in his personal rankings. Whenever he was on the ice he was making things happen. Good skater, and also had a bunch of really nice passes. Ended the night with two assists, a primary on lethbridges opening goal and secondary on their fifth. Doesn't seem like much of a goal scorer but a great playmaker. Only thing was he didnt play center often, mostly playing on the wing which is ironic considering why Pb has Hughes so low.
As for Krebs he was ok. No points (ofc I watch his first game without points). He was defenitly a lot less notiable then Cozens, and when I noticed him it seemed like he was trying to do too much. Also had a few bad turnovers, especially on the one that lead to Lethbridge's third goal. He did get better as the game went along, especially in the third. Should have scored on a 2 on 1 with less than a minuet left but he got robbed by Lethbridge's goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad