Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Updated mocks....

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (8) D: Noah Dobson (CAN) (6'2"/178lbs., Shot: Right, Acadie-Bathurst/QMJHL)
1 (29) RW: Martin Kaut (CZR) (6'1"/174lbs., Shot: Right, Pardubice/Czech Extraliga)
1 (31) D: Rasmus Sandin (SWE) (5'9"/189lbs., Shot: Left, Sault Ste. Marie/OHL)

2018 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

1 (10) D: Ty Smith (CAN) (5'8"/174lbs., Shot: Left, Spokane/WHL)
1 (29) C: Akil Thomas (CAN) (5'9"/169lbs., Shot: Right, Niagara/OHL)
1 (31) D: K'Andre Miller (USA) (6'3"/205lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *18/19 U. of Wisconsin Commit*
2 (41) RW: Dominik Bokk (GER) (6'1"/178lbs., Shot: Right, Vaxjo/SHL)
2 (48) D: Giovanni Vallati (CAN) (6'1"/185lbs., Shot: Left, Kitchener/OHL)
3 (72) D: Filip Kral (CZR) (6'0"/167lbs., Shot: Left, Spokane/WHL)
3 (91) D: Martin Bodak (SLV) (6'1"/191lbs., Shot: Right, Kootenay/WHL)
4 (103) LW: Jan Jenik (CZR) (6'1"/154lbs., Shot: Left, Liberec/Czech Extraliga)
5 (134) C: Ivan Morozov (RUS) (6'1"/178lbs., Shot: Right, Yugry/MHL)
6 (165) D: Adam Samuelsson (USA) (6'4"/240lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *18/19 Boston College Commit*

Absolute haul at both drafts....

The top draft is A+.

The bottom has some really intriguing Euros. Smith is solid at No. 10, Thomas is great at No. 29 and Miller is a good pickup at No. 31. Bokk in the 2nd is a steal and a half. Vallati is a solid two-way, just hope he puts up more points in his Overage year. Kral is a solid two-way defender. He also played for the Czechs in the WJC. Bodak should've been drafted last year, but for some reason got passed over. That won't be the case this year. Solid point producing defender that helped Slovakia in two WJC's already. Jenik is crafty and slick power forward, but he's too slim at 154lbs. With that said, he is the youngest player in the draft being born on September 15th. If he was born on the 16th, he would've been in next years draft. Morozov is highly underrated and has a blistering wrister. Samuelsson is okay in the 6th round. Son of Ulf, plays very similar defense (just less fighting).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If I'm not mistaken, Rasmus Sandin is going back to Sweden after this year. He is currently on loan from Rogle to play in the OHL.

No doubt in my mind that that will help his draft stock.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Agreed and it's not like I hate Farabee. I think he is a very good player similar to Parise. Think that there are better options for NYR's 1st pick. I wouldn't hate the reach either, if it were the case, but I think not knowing is concerning if he is not going the CHL/Europe route.

Yeah I think he's one of those polarizing guys. Either you see the potential for high-end offense, and you can justify him as a top-10 pick, or you see him as more of guy who tops out as a 2nd liner and you'd be unhappy with the pick there. Not saying that's your line of thinking by any means; just making a generalization based on what I've seen kicked about.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Like @Trxjw said, it’s his skating that might hold him back. He can either be a Jeff Petry or someone in the Pararyko/Pietrangelo mold. That’s a pretty sizeable gap for an 8OA

I think Edge really nailed it with his description: He's slippery. I've seen games where he looks like he's about to get trapped in the corner and somehow he spins off the forward and zips an 90ft outlet pass to a teammate breaking out of the zone. The question is if he'll be able to do that at the pro level, or if he's going to suffer when the ice gets smaller.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Updated mocks....

1 (29) RW: Martin Kaut (CZR) (6'1"/174lbs., Shot: Right, Pardubice/Czech Extraliga)

1 (31) D: K'Andre Miller (USA) (6'3"/205lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *18/19 U. of Wisconsin Commit*
6 (165) D: Adam Samuelsson (USA) (6'4"/240lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *18/19 Boston College Commit*

The top draft is A+.

The bottom has some really intriguing Euros. Smith is solid at No. 10, Thomas is great at No. 29 and Miller is a good pickup at No. 31. Bokk in the 2nd is a steal and a half. Vallati is a solid two-way, just hope he puts up more points in his Overage year. Kral is a solid two-way defender. He also played for the Czechs in the WJC. Bodak should've been drafted last year, but for some reason got passed over. That won't be the case this year. Solid point producing defender that helped Slovakia in two WJC's already. Jenik is crafty and slick power forward, but he's too slim at 154lbs. With that said, he is the youngest player in the draft being born on September 15th. If he was born on the 16th, he would've been in next years draft. Morozov is highly underrated and has a blistering wrister. Samuelsson is okay in the 6th round. Son of Ulf, plays very similar defense (just less fighting).

Thoughts?

If Boqvist is dropping, I would hope the Rangers would trade up to get him. Don't like passing on Kravtsov. Love Bokk in the 2nd round. The problem with both drafts is that the Rangers are not going to draft at 29 and 31. Only one of those picks will be in the 28-31 range.

Reactions: bl02

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Updated mocks....

The top draft is A+.

Thoughts?

Only real gripe with the 2nd draft is taking Smith (who I do really like) over Dobson at 10. I think you have to take Dobs there. I'm not nearly as in tune with the mid and late rounds of this class as I have been in prior years, but I think Jenik is a really good pick there in the 4th. Gotta think if the Rangers had enough presence in the Czech league last year to take Chytil then they're doing their diligence on a kid like Jenik or Kaut as well. Getting Samuelsson in the 6th seems unlikely but it'd be a hell of a value pick there. With that size and lineage I'd be shocked if he lasted beyond the 3rd round.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If Boqvist is dropping, I would hope the Rangers would trade up to get him. Don't like passing on Kravtsov. Love Bokk in the 2nd round. The problem with both drafts is that the Rangers are not going to draft at 29 and 31. Only one of those picks will be in the 28-31 range.

Well true, Boston and Tampa won't play each other in the Eastern Conference final. At most, they'll meet in the Conference Semis. Intriguing seeing if Tampa wins and eliminates Boston, their pick will probably move up in the No. 25 range!!

Edit: On second thought, that might not be entirely true. Boston is currently 2nd in the East in points, which would have them play a division team in the 1st round then whoever is left having the 3rd most points in the East. So there could be a potential Boston/Tampa Conference Final.

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Only real gripe with the 2nd draft is taking Smith (who I do really like) over Dobson at 10. I think you have to take Dobs there. I'm not nearly as in tune with the mid and late rounds of this class as I have been in prior years, but I think Jenik is a really good pick there in the 4th. Gotta think if the Rangers had enough presence in the Czech league last year to take Chytil then they're doing their diligence on a kid like Jenik or Kaut as well. Getting Samuelsson in the 6th seems unlikely but it'd be a hell of a value pick there. With that size and lineage I'd be shocked if he lasted beyond the 3rd round.

Agreed on most of this, especially NYR scouting Czechs. Last year, they stole Chytil and added insurance with Lakatos. Jenik is the youngest in this class, but still isn't fully at the pro game yet, unlike Chytil at the time. I think Jenik goes undrafted this year or very late. Needless to say, though, the kid oozes scoring potential, even if it hasn't shown up on the scoresheet, yet. I would reach for him in the 4th, though.

As for Samuelsson, I think 5th-7th is a reasonable spot for him. Not overly offensive and lacks some agility. Definitely defensive minded and is 240lbs., right now!! That's bigger than what Sean Day was in his draft year!!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Updated mocks....

The top draft is A+.

Thoughts?

I don't know :( Not sure how i feel about the Kaut / Sundin picks at end of first round. I like Kaut but as our second rounder albeit i know he might be gone by then?
I like the bottom one as well.
Trust your opinion if you think both are good at the end of the day

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well true, Boston and Tampa won't play each other in the Eastern Conference final. At most, they'll meet in the Conference Semis. Intriguing seeing if Tampa wins and eliminates Boston, their pick will probably move up in the No. 25 range!!

Edit: On second thought, that might not be entirely true. Boston is currently 2nd in the East in points, which would have them play a division team in the 1st round then whoever is left having the 3rd most points in the East. So there could be a potential Boston/Tampa Conference Final.
Yeah unfortunately i will have to root for toronto to beat the bruins in round 1 and then also unfortunately read 2,333,444,654 posts on how amazing the leafs are.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't know :( Not sure how i feel about the Kaut / Sundin picks at end of first round. I like Kaut but as our second rounder albeit i know he might be gone by then?
I like the bottom one as well.
Trust your opinion if you think both are good at the end of the day

Kaut played well at the WJCs with Necas.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Kaut played well at the WJCs with Necas.
Absolutely he did stand out. I like him just saying i was hoping he would be there at our early pick in second round but i guess i wouldn't be mad if we took him at our late first rounder

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I think you were right the first time. I thought they didn't re-seed and kept rd 2 within the divisione. Tampa and Boston would play in Rd 2 if both win.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think you were right the first time. I thought they didn't re-seed and kept rd 2 within the divisione. Tampa and Boston would play in Rd 2 if both win.

I don't think so because Ottawa wouldn't have played the Rangers in last year's Conference Semis, then.

I'm gonna look it up now, lolol.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I believe this is correct. Its still a dumb format in my opinion but I guess its better to have boston eliminated for sure before they reach the ECF

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
@HatTrick Swayze You're right, I was correct the first time, lolol.

Sorry, got myself a little too buzzed from this Carolina/Ranger game....

UQPeC78.gif

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Updated mocks....

The top draft is A+.

Thoughts?

I don't like the first one. Sandin isn't a top 2 rounder, in my opinion. Not with his skating and defense. The first rounders in the second one are kind of very generic, but I like a lot of the picks they suggest. I think Bokk, Kral, Jenik, Morozov, Samuelsson will all go much higher than they are listed there. Bokk is a first rounder, in my opinion. Kral and Jenik second rounders, Morozov and Samuelsson third rounders.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Updated mocks....

The top draft is A+.

Thoughts?

I really like the first mock, and love the 2nd mock.

Thomas and Miller are two players I would love to see that late in the first. Then to add Bokk in the 2nd is beautiful.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Everytime i see barret hayton his name is rising on lists

He and kotkaniemi are the highest ranked natural Cs on the board. I could see them sneaking into the top 10

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Everytime i see barret hayton his name is rising on lists

He and kotkaniemi are the highest ranked natural Cs on the board. I could see them sneaking into the top 10

Jack of all trades type.

Not sure he has that higher end ceiling, but he probably has one of the higher floors in the draft. High IQ, great positioning, underrated offense.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
theres a few value russian forwards i really like in this draft as well. 2 off this years U18 team.

ivan morozov C right handed shot. i think is a sleeper type guy who could play an efficient 2/3 c role. i see a very "safe" player here with 2 way skills and a solid 3 zone game. underrated scorer too.

grigori denisenko LW is another highly skilled classic russian off wing righty. silky and dangerous. he's got stupid skills. watch this kid play, he oozes flow. he's a 3/4 round gem imo.

disclosure: i like russian players. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad