draft 2004 minorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Well, didn't you say Philly told John Carter they'd select him? Thought they were lying but then came to the last choice in the 9th round. Guess if they told him they didn't lie. If the last choice in the NFL draft is Mr. Irrelevant, maybe Carter can put in for Mr. Super Irrelevant. As to your question, I would think the Japanese goalie, (Fukuyami, I believe) and going by the names a few others would fall into the East Asian category. Don't really know, though.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I believe it was the Avs that took Brandon Yip. He's from BC, but ethnically he's asian.

The first (real) Japanese player was taken this year too. I forget his name, LA took him.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
I believe it was the Avs that took Brandon Yip. He's from BC, but ethnically he's asian.

The first (real) Japanese player was taken this year too. I forget his name, LA took him.

I'm pretty sure a Japanese player has been taken before. Not for a long while though.

Kings took a goalie with the 8th or 9th round pick. He played at the World championships according to NHL.com. Doesn't mention if it was the A or B pool.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Coffey77 said:
I'm pretty sure a Japanese player has been taken before. Not for a long while though.

Kings took a goalie with the 8th or 9th round pick. He played at the World championships according to NHL.com. Doesn't mention if it was the A or B pool.

There's a reason he said "real" ....

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Montreal took a player named Hiroyuki Miura from Japan several years ago.

Yutaka Fukufuji, drafted by the Kings, played in the World "A" Championships this year and really was the guy who gave Japan a chance to stay up in the "A" pool- tying Ukraine, losing on an own goal to Denmark by one. He's 6'2 and very flexible. By the way, Japan will drop to "B" pool next year, with France, anyway.

Drew

May 24, 2004
neg marron said:
besides montoya robbie earl, and john carter were any other minorities selected if so by who and what is their ethnicity

Is there still any chance that john carter will end up going to College instead of the Q?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
steblick said:

Yutaka Fukufuji, drafted by the Kings, played in the World "A" Championships this year and really was the guy who gave Japan a chance to stay up in the "A" pool- tying Ukraine, losing on an own goal to Denmark by one. He's 6'2 and very flexible. By the way, Japan will drop to "B" pool next year, with France, anyway.
So there's rules about NA and Euro players, what rules apply to Asian players? I think Fukufuji has already spent some time in the ECHL. How old is he?

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
steblick said:

The guy announcing picks absolutely butchered his name today and kinda made a joke out of it and said he was from Sweden. Then a few picks later he apologized and said he was from Japan. I thought it was kinda funny, but knowing how proud Japan is, this guy getting drafted is probably front page news or something.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
steblick said:

That guy is on Team Japan in EA NHL games. I've used them to embarass my friends many times. ESPN is a way better game, but it is a shame they don't have a Team Japan :{.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
So there's rules about NA and Euro players, what rules apply to Asian players? I think Fukufuji has already spent some time in the ECHL. How old is he?

He's 21, will be 22 in Sept.
Japanese players are under the same rules as Euros. In the ECHL he played only 10 games, so his status as draft eligible continued.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
jcab2000 said:
The guy announcing picks absolutely butchered his name today and kinda made a joke out of it and said he was from Sweden. Then a few picks later he apologized and said he was from Japan. I thought it was kinda funny, but knowing how proud Japan is, this guy getting drafted is probably front page news or something.

Hockey's a relatively minor sport in Japan, except in the North (Hokkaido) where it is quite popular. It was page 2 news in the sports sections, a minor column after lots of baseball, Euro 2004, Wimbledon and some sumo. It was mentioned on NHK's sports news towards the end, about a 20 second sound bite.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
There are two missed by everyone else.

Raymond Sawada
Presumebly-Mixed Half-Japanese (father's side)
2nd Round - Dal
BCHL Product
Nanaimo Clippers

Brendan Yip
Full-blooded Chinese
8th Round - Col
BCHL Product
Coquitlam Express

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
There's an elite prospect by the name of Devon Setoguchi with the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL who might be a top 15 pick by this time next year. He is half Japanese and is projected to go around the 10-20 as he has been excellent for a terribles Blades team this year and was the only bright spot on the team.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
There's an elite prospect by the name of Devon Setoguchi with the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL who might be a top 15 pick by this time next year. He is half Japanese and is projected to go around the 10-20 as he has been excellent for a terribles Blades team this year and was the only bright spot on the team.

Mike Green wasn't a bright spot? :dunno:

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
MHJS said:
Mike Green wasn't a bright spot? :dunno:

He is but Setoguchi was definitely a more sensational bright spot imo.

Mike Green has had 4 WHL seasons while Devon Setoguchi is a rookie in his first.

Mike Green is more than 2 and 3/4 years older than Devon Setoguchi and has had more ice-time per game + experience.

Yet

This year, on the same team, they were terribly close in output

Mike Green = 14 goals + 25 assists for 39 points
Devon Setoguchi = 13 goals + 18 assists for 31 points

And Setoguchi had a better +/- rating on that terrible team.

Simply put, Mike Green has been spectacular while Setoguchi has been amazing!

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University

Mike Green has had 4 WHL seasons while Devon Setoguchi is a rookie in his first.

Mike Green is more than 2 and 3/4 years older than Devon Setoguchi and has had more ice-time per game + experience.

Yet

Nevermind. I was a dumbass.

Just noticed Mike Green posted those numbers as a D-man. That is amazing! Sorry for overlooking that. He definitely has been the bright spot then.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site

Yet

Actually Green has played 3, not 4, years in the league and is only 1 year and 2 months older than Setoguchi.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
steblick said:
Hockey's a relatively minor sport in Japan, except in the North (Hokkaido) where it is quite popular. It was page 2 news in the sports sections, a minor column after lots of baseball, Euro 2004, Wimbledon and some sumo. It was mentioned on NHK's sports news towards the end, about a 20 second sound bite.

Sounds just like ESPN's coverage on hockey

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Jay Thompson said:
I could be wrong (I never asked him or anything, but just by his look), I think Sawada is half indian, not half Chinese/Japanese.

All halfies look pretty ambiguous and even tho I've never asked him or anything, i am 98% sure Sawada is Japanese. He is from Richmond just like me and Richmond is rich in history with its Japanese-Canadians and I know a few mixed Japanese-Canadians myself. Sawada is a Japanese name as well.

Here's a link that shows you Stephan Sawada, not sure if they are related but they are both from Richmond, both 6'2'' and pretty good hockey players. And Stephan Sawada is Japanese.

http://www.pijhl.com/sites/9994/pag...sionID=12&TeamID=16&PlayerID=287&Section=Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad