Draft 2000-2003, top 10 d-men

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Spezza said:
To say Volchenkov hasn't shown flashes of brilliance is wrong, the Guy is a rock and is as tough as nails whose excellent open ice hitting has continuely drawn comparisons to Scott Stevens. We kept a spattracker on the sens board of people he had sent flying. If we want to start talking about what else he's done he did score the goal that won the world juniors as well. He has a very underrated offensive game. On the downside I think everyone on the Ottawa board agrees that he needs to work on his conditioning, this season was a right off due to injury.
Cough Homer Cough

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Hockeycrazed07 said:
...and you're jocking of Tjutin is based on you not being a Rags' fan?
:shakehead
Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, Pot.

~Crazed.
I admit it, I'm a homer, but who isn't?

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Broadway Crosby said:
I don't really like any team in particular, and though I have an affinity for players here in SJ, looking at my fantasy teams, you'd never be able to pick who I liked...because I don't like any team. I just like the players that play well in their specific roles.

~Crazed.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Broadway Crosby said:

My problem is not that you're a homer, because Tyutin is a great d prospect. My problem is you labelling Spezza a homer when he writes a logical, rational endorsement of Volchenkov, who is a great defenseman, and who played extremely well in this years playoffs.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Captain Conservative said:
My problem is not that you're a homer, because Tyutin is a great d prospect. My problem is you labelling Spezza a homer when he writes a logical, rational endorsement of Volchenkov, who is a great defenseman, and who played extremely well in this years playoffs.
I don't think that Volchenkov played as well as people are saying, to me, he still has alot to prove, as does Tyutin. I highly disagree that Volchenkov should be higher than Tyutin on this list, but it's just my opinion, and I'm being a homer.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
1 - Ryan Suter
2 - Dan Hamhuis
3 - Jay Bouwmeester
4 - Dion Phaneuf
5 - Fedor Tyutin
6 - Steve Eminger
7 - Joni Pitkanen
8 - Braydon Coburn
9 - Carlo Colaiacovo
10 - John-Michael Liles

-----------------

Grebeshkov nearly made it. I consider all the guys above future #1/2 defensemen, Grebeshkov is right there too, in a way I nearly took him over Liles, but it's tough to say. Gleason is pretty good too, so LA Kings fans, fear not, those guys are both still very high on my list, just didn't quite make it here. Orpik and Seabrooke are pretty close here too.

Klesla and Komisarek don't impress me. I doubt they become top pairing men - either one of them. They are further down the list

Volchenkov, Whitney, Welch, Martin, Hale and such probobly sit right after Grebeshkov, Gleason, and Seabrooke.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Mizral said:
1 - Ryan Suter
2 - Dan Hamhuis
3 - Jay Bouwmeester
4 - Dion Phaneuf
5 - Fedor Tyutin
6 - Steve Eminger
7 - Joni Pitkanen
8 - Braydon Coburn
9 - Carlo Colaiacovo
10 - John-Michael Liles

-----------------

Grebeshkov nearly made it. I consider all the guys above future #1/2 defensemen, Grebeshkov is right there too, in a way I nearly took him over Liles, but it's tough to say. Gleason is pretty good too, so LA Kings fans, fear not, those guys are both still very high on my list, just didn't quite make it here. Orpik and Seabrooke are pretty close here too.

Klesla and Komisarek don't impress me. I doubt they become top pairing men - either one of them. They are further down the list

Volchenkov, Whitney, Welch, Martin, Hale and such probobly sit right after Grebeshkov, Gleason, and Seabrooke.

I like this one the best, seems to be a fair and accurate way to sum them all up.

I'd switch Whitney with Carlo C., but maybe that's the Pens fan in me talking. It's pretty hard to do a ranking because there are quite a bit of guys you have to consider and most are at a wide variety of places in their development.

I think Whitney and Orpik will be a good combination and a good top pairing, and Welch and Ondrej Nemec won't be too shabby as a second pairing. And really, that's all I care about.

Prucha73

Mizral said:
1 - Ryan Suter
2 - Dan Hamhuis
3 - Jay Bouwmeester
4 - Dion Phaneuf
5 - Fedor Tyutin
6 - Steve Eminger
7 - Joni Pitkanen
8 - Braydon Coburn
9 - Carlo Colaiacovo
10 - John-Michael Liles

-----------------

What is so great about Suter that he deserves to be #1?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
What is so great about Suter that he deserves to be #1?

He's got the offensive gumption, the defensive awareness, the puck skills, the skating, the shooting, the pedigree (nephew of Gary Suter), as well as a mean streak. Nobody in that group has all of what Suter has if you ask me. I think he is the best defenseman drafted since Chris Pronger in fact.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
I like this one the best, seems to be a fair and accurate way to sum them all up.

I'd switch Whitney with Carlo C., but maybe that's the Pens fan in me talking. It's pretty hard to do a ranking because there are quite a bit of guys you have to consider and most are at a wide variety of places in their development.

I think Whitney and Orpik will be a good combination and a good top pairing, and Welch and Ondrej Nemec won't be too shabby as a second pairing. And really, that's all I care about.

And I should add, I'm not a Preds fan ;)

I think Colaiacovo is one of the more underrated guys out there. Few guys can dominate games like he can, and I would go as far to say that Leaf fans actually underrate him.

Orpik I think is the gem out of the Pens group, and if he had any offensive upside of any consequence, he'd be top 5.

Prucha73

Mizral said:
He's got the offensive gumption, the defensive awareness, the puck skills, the skating, the shooting, the pedigree (nephew of Gary Suter), as well as a mean streak. Nobody in that group has all of what Suter has if you ask me. I think he is the best defenseman drafted since Chris Pronger in fact.

Suter pedicree means very little to me. I think he doesn't have huge size and lacks much offensive upside.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It is very, very difficult to compare top-end prospects without actually seeing them all in person (which is next to impossible unless you are a season ticket holder or a scout). While have Pitkanen/JBo at 1 or 2 is a no brainer based on what everyone else says about them, after that its pretty much a toss up unless you have actually seen the player in person. From what I saw of Cola, it looked like he is a great skater. He looked like a bigger Kaberle (not height but overall size) who isn't quite as good a passer. Since I hear he has stepped up his physical play and defense on St. Johns, I can see him as a top #3 guy. I don't see him as a #1, his offence is good but not spectacular and he is solid defensively but not a rock.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Broadway Crosby said:
Cough Homer Cough
Did I say he should be higher than Tjutin? Nope. Did I even mention Tjutin's name? Nope.

I addressed your point about Volchenkov not showing flashes of brilliance.

BTW, thanks Hockeycrazed07 and Captain Conservative for backing me up :)

Last edited:

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
1. Pitkanen
2. Bouwmeester
3. Dan Hamhuis
4. Dion Phaneuf
5. Ryan Suter
6. Rostislav Klesla
7. Fedor Tjutin
8. Braydon Coburn
9. Paul Martin
10. Brent Seabrooke.
You have got to be kidding me with Seabrook.

I don't think he'd make a top 20 list.

Last edited by a moderator:

leafaholix*

1-10
1. Dan Hamhuis
2. Jay Bouwmeester
3. Joni Pitkanen
4. Dion Phaneuf
5. Denis Grebeshkov
6. Fedor Tjutin
7. Ryan Suter
8. Carlo Colaiacovo
9. Anton Volchenkov
10. Brooks Orpik

11-15 - No specific order.
x. Steve Eminger
x. John-Michael Liles
x. Shaone Morrisonn
x. Paul Martin
x. Christian Ehrhoff

16-30 - No specific order.
x. Braydon Coburn
x. Rostislav Klesla
x. Anton Babchuk
x. Brent Seabrook
x. Mike Komisarek
x. Mark Stuart
x. Lukas Krajicek
x. David Hale
x. Ryan Whitney
x. Jeff Woywitka
x. Noah Welch
x. Nick Shultz
x. Kirill Koltsov
x. Trevor Daley
x. Tim Gleason

31+ - No specific order.
x. Filip Novak
x. Igor Knyazev
x. Lars Jonsso
x. Ondrej Nemec
x. Ron Hainsey
x. Brendan Bell
x. Aaron Johnson
x. Keith Ballard
x. James Wisniewski
x. Danny Richmond
x. Matthew Spiller
x. Derek Meech
x. Marc Popovic
x. Kevin Klein
x. Shawn Belle
x. Shea Weber
x. Doug Lynch
x. Johnny Boychuk
x. Tim Ramholt
x. Garrett Stafford

Last edited by a moderator:

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Spezza said:
Did I say he should be higher than Tjutin? Nope. Did I even mention Tjutin's name? Nope.

I addressed your point about Volchenkov not showing flashes of brilliance.

BTW, thanks Hockeycrazed07 and Captain Conservative for backing me up :)
I said nothing of Tyutin, I was saying that I don't think Volchenkov should be as high as you say, and I ASSUMED it was because you were being a homer, since you are a Sens fan. I'm a homer, I admit it. Don't you think my explanation is reasonable to you? :dunno: It does to me.

Alfons

May 3, 2004
Leafaholix said:
1-10
1. Dan Hamhuis
2. Jay Bouwmeester
3. Joni Pitkanen
4. Dion Phaneuf
5. Denis Grebeshkov
6. Fedor Tjutin
7. Ryan Suter
8. Carlo Colaiacovo
9. Anton Volchenkov
10. Brooks Orpik

11-15 - No specific order.
x. Steve Eminger
x. John-Michael Liles
x. Shaone Morrisonn
x. Paul Martin
x. Christian Ehrhoff

16-30 - No specific order.
x. Braydon Coburn
x. Rostislav Klesla
x. Anton Babchuk
x. Brent Seabrook
x. Mike Komisarek
x. Mark Stuart
x. Lukas Krajicek
x. David Hale
x. Ryan Whitney
x. Jeff Woywitka
x. Noah Welch
x. Nick Shultz
x. Kirill Koltsov
x. Trevor Daley
x. Tim Gleason

31+ - No specific order.
x. Filip Novak
x. Igor Knyazev
x. Lars Jonsso
x. Ondrej Nemec
x. Ron Hainsey
x. Brendan Bell
x. Aaron Johnson
x. Keith Ballard
x. James Wisniewski
x. Danny Richmond
x. Matthew Spiller
x. Derek Meech
x. Marc Popovic
x. Kevin Klein
x. Shawn Belle
x. Shea Weber
x. Doug Lynch
x. Johnny Boychuk
x. Tim Ramholt
x. Garrett Stafford

What about Semenov? (I guess he is about 22)

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Saabato said:
Any list without Leopold is flawed. I'm not saying he should be #1 or #2 on everyone's lists but he should be on them somewhere.

He was drafted in 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->