Draft #113 - Connor Clifton

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
D, USNTDP

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2013/5/20/4346178/connor-clifton-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

Connor Clifton — Undersized, but physically strong, Clifton showed off some solid offensive capabilities, but some questionable decisions throughout the tournament make him more challenging to project. Clifton has a terrific shot from the point and is able to get pucks to the net well. Sometimes he got lost in the offensive zone, however, leading to turnovers and odd-man rushes the other way. A little too go-for-broke at times, Clifton will need to improve his decision-making in the future. That said, the offensive capabilities and his desire to play a mean, physical game despite his size are attractive qualities. Unafraid to mix it up and play the body first, there’s plenty of upside in Clifton and that could lead to a team taking a later-round stab at that potential. U18WC Statline: 7 GP, 1-0–1, 2 PIM -3. Projected Draft Range: Fifth to Sixth Round.

Clifton_Connor_medium.jpg

BODKkXdCIAEQiW0.jpg:large

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Possible Mike Weaver clone? Small but extremely mobile. Great puck mover but not an offensive contributor. Primarily defensive D despite size limitations. Is that about right?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Possible Mike Weaver clone? Small but extremely mobile. Great puck mover but not an offensive contributor. Primarily defensive D despite size limitations. Is that about right?

Puts Morin on his ass at the benches in the video. Also defends Dauphin. Knickle has an eye for D, so I'll trust him on this one. The lack of size is concerning but he has heart, compete and nerves.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
He went to my high school, great guy, I wouldn't be concerned about his size because he is quite built.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Small but extremely mobile ... Great puck mover
The lack of size is concerning but he has heart, compete and nerves.
Together, y'all are describing my prototypical late-round D. Mobility and confidence with the puck are tough to teach, so if he's got that ...

He's going to play NCAA's at Quinnipiac ... Quinnipiac's not Wisconsin or Minnesota or Michigan, but they were really good last year and should be good again. Probably a name to file away for 2017.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Knickle during his interview with Vest forgot that they drafted him. Then immediately says "oh, he hits better and harder than anyone I've ever seen for his size."

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

Has some bite to his game as well. Maybe more of a Keith Ballard.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
From the U18 highlights, he seems very poised with his decision making. Zero panic in all situations of gold medal game. Good stuff.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Six months later, thought I'd check in on Mr Clifton's first half-season at Quinnipiac University ...

QU were supposed to be good this season and they have been: 14-3-4, 6-2-2 in the conference, second behind 2012 Frozen Four team Union.

Clifton is the only freshman defenseman to play all 21 for the Bobcats, and stat line reads 3-2-5 with a team-leading 54 PIM's. The penalty total is skewed by a pair of major/misconduct checking-to-the-head penalties against Holy Cross and Princeton, but he's also had 4 games with 2 minors each. A little odd for a guy who's only 5'10" to be getting penalized for hitting to the head. He's a +8, with 11 plus and 4 minus games.

He scored a power play goal in the season-opening exhibition, added two more on slapshots from the point as well as this wrister from the slot that starts about 1:00 in:
http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/2013-14/20130811_Quinnipiac_Brown

Assist on an easy steal + long pass against Princeton ... video quality is awful:
http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/2013-14/20132211_Princeton_Quinnipiac

Wonky defensive coverage by Clifton (#4) contributed to a goal against against Rennessaler about 1:00 in:
http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/2013-14/20130612_RPI_Quinnipiac

Our boy Clifton doesn't feature prominently in THIS one, but there's a Patrik Stefan-esque mistake by a Union College defender at 2:30 that results in an embarrassing own-goal ...
http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/2013-14/20130712_Union_Quinnipiac

There's video of most of the goals for/against from Quinnipiac conference games, and I don't see a ton of Clifton. That's probably neither a great sign nor an awful one.

One thing that does really jump out watching these videos is a 19-year old defenseman named Devon Toews (no relation) who looks like he's been their Connor Murphy this year. He's an overage freshman (turns 20 in February) and played in the BCHL with Surrey before going to college. The CHL passed on him because he was only 5'2" for the bantams draft (5'10" now). Looks maybe a bit slow on his skates, but his positioning and composure on the puck both look solid and everything I've read says he's been huge for QU this season. He's not been drafted by the NHL and might be a guy to pencil in at the bottom of your list somewhere for a look.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I saw him play tonight against Maine.

He's undersized but the scouting report in the OP is pretty spot on. He lowered the shoulder two or three times and crushed the opponent. His decision making was questionable and he had a few turnovers but for a freshman who played a lot of minutes, I was impressed overall. I thought he was a junior out there.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad