Online Series: Dracula

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was planning to watch it soon and decided to start tonight since you created this thread for it. I just finished the first episode, which was engrossing and good. I thought that it might move slowly, since it's a mini-series, but it moves quite quickly and is never boring. Some things are familiar and others are unfamiliar, making it interesting even if you've seen countless adaptations before. It's occasionally slightly frightening and disturbing... and even a little funny with its a wicked sense of humor that is used just sparingly enough that it catches you off guard. I'll watch the rest of it over the next two nights.

For those unaware, it's a BBC series that's distributed worldwide by Netflix. It's created by the duo that did BBC's Sherlock and, like that series, it consists of 3 episodes of about 90 minutes each, or 4.5 hours in total (roughly the equivalent of 6 45-minute episodes).

Last edited:

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I've finished the first two and am only stopping because I'm tired, but I'm really enjoying this so far. This is a neat take on the Count. He's a charming douchebag.

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
The first episode was excellent, second episode started to melt and the third episode.. i’m still wondering what on earth were they thinking.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I really enjoyed the series. Not a big Dracula fan so I am not tied to the original book storyline. The 3rd episode was fine for me, it lacked some of the tension of the first 2 episodes but I think that has more to do with it not being locked to 1 location than anything else. The first 2 shows really played on that trapped in 1 location with a monster and not able to get out thing and the 3rd show lost something when it opened things out to wider environment.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished the series. The first episode is excellent. It's the most faithful to the novel and like other adaptations that we're familiar with.

The second episode is a small step down, but still very good. It's mostly new material, but it gives an account of events that are only suggested in the novel, so it's neat to imagine that this is what happened in the months that the novel skipped over.

The third and final episode, unfortunately, is very unlike the first two. The spirit of the novel and the gothic horror are gone and it feels more like a re-imagining of Dracula. If you're curious about what I mean and don't mind the setting being given away (don't worry; I won't spoil any of the plot)...
Nearly the entirety of the episode takes place in modern times. Instead of late 19th-century London, like the latter half of the novel takes place in, this episode takes place in modern London, complete with Dracula being exposed to cell phones, tablets, cameras, television and other modern conveniences and conventions.
It's not that it's so bad or unwatchable, and others may not mind as much, but I found it pretty disappointing compared to the first two episodes, which were much more what I was looking for in the series.

Overall, two out of three ain't bad. I'd say that the series is still worth watching for the very good first two episodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Some of the IMDB reviews are gold. Sounds like it takes a giant **** in ep3.
Yup, didn't even make it through episode 3. The first two episodes were awesome, but then the twist just ruined it for me.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I watched all three episodes and thought it was solid all the way through.

The third episode was an interesting take on things I think.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I liked it but disappointed in the ending. Thought it had a lot of potential to go the Sherlock route, long episodes with a new plot or “case” each episode alongside the main plot.

The chemistry between the two leads was great.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I thoroughly enjoyed episode 1 and 2, part 3 just completely ruined it for me. If I wanted to watch a vampire in a modern setting, I would have turned on Blade or Underworld.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just finished it last night, it was ok, I liked the 1st and 2nd, the 3rd was different so I didn't mind it but it wasn't as good. In a way it reminds me a bit of The Frankenstein Chronicles in that it does things a little different on old stories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad