TV: Dr. Phil accused of giving booze and drugs to his guests

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
https://pagesix.com/2017/12/28/dr-p...67.1093328744.1512314874-478294709.1502843107

It may have been a surprise for viewers of “Dr. Phil” to see Todd Herzog — the winner of “Survivor: China” — appear completely drunk in an episode aired in 2013, blowing a whopping .263, which is over three times the legal limit to drive, in a breathalyzer test.
But even more shocking are the bombshell allegations that Herzog, now 32, is making.
In a joint investigative story between STAT and the Boston Globe published Thursday, Herzog, who at the time was battling an alcohol addiction, claims that he was stone-cold sober when he arrived at the show’s Los Angeles studio for the taping — and found a bottle of Smirnoff vodka in his dressing room.
Herzog says he was unable to resist drinking the bottle — and claims that, once he had, a show staffer gave him a Xanax to “calm his nerves.”
He isn’t alone in his accusations. Several “Dr. Phil” guests have come forward to allege that the so-called savior for addicts has put addict guests at risk, whether by leaving them without medical attention or by helping them score drugs throughout the detox process.
“You know, I get that it’s a television show and that they want to show the pain that I’m in,” Herzog told STAT and the Globe. “However, what would have happened if I died there? You know, that’s horrifying.”
A “Dr. Phil” representative declined STAT and the Globe’s request for an interview. CBS reps did not immediately respond to a separate request from The Post seeking comment.
Herzog appeared on “Dr. Phil” on several other occasions. His third time, in 2014, he says he found another bottle of vodka placed in his dressing room, but only drank some of it.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Dr. Phil is a hack. I would have no trouble believing this.

Totally.

I have zero reservations about being unsurprised by this. Dr. Phil has a massive ego (he's the guy who created a TV about himself, that isn't Dr. Phil, which greatly exaggerates his work. He's all about making money, helping people isn't at the top of his mind.

Reactions: Lancer

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
He is far from the first host to get guests tanked to make them more interesting. It is a time honored tradition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad