Downtown development to force Sharks from San Jose?

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Just reinforcing that there is going to be another new indoor arena that is not capable of hosting a NHL hockey team. Joining the likes of the ones in SF, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Indiana, etc.

For those who have been in these basketball specific arenas and ones that can accommodate NHL hockey, do you notice a drastic difference in watching basketball between the 2 types of arenas?
A single Sport specific venue tend to make for better sight lines and better playing surface. You can see what it has done in MLB and NFL. The teams no longer share the same multi use stadium. The games are nicer now to attend. The ice at Honda Center would be even more awful had the Clippers moved here in the 90s. I heard at one point the C’s and Sixers wanted their own basketball specific arena. In Las Vegas, there’s some people who want to bring an NBA team there and build another basketball specific arena instead of sharing T-Mobile.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
I wish Clippers would have moved to Anaheim and catered to Orange County fans. At least they would have carved a niche for themselves.
Sterling didn’t want to drive from Beverly Hills to Anaheim. That was one of the main reasons why they didn’t move here. I went to 4 Clippers games at the Pond including the first one. They always drew better here than at the old Sports Arena. Anaheim also made a play for the Sacramento Kings before they finally got a new arena.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Ducks are building a 3 billion dollar mix use development around Honda Center which includes 2 hotels, apartments, high rise business tower, restaurants, and a 6,000 indoor concert venue. It won’t be fully completed until 2028 for the Olympics. Parking will also be an issue here while construction goes on. It’s kind of silly for the Sharks to complain about this when the Ducks will be going through almost the same scenario.

Ah, but it's not the Sharks doing the development, but Google. Sharks only get income from events at arena.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Sounds more like the Sharks 'risk to our viability at SAP' line was a huge bluff and the city called it.

Good to hear it's done and all parties can move forward

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sounds more like the Sharks 'risk to our viability at SAP' line was a huge bluff and the city called it.

Good to hear it's done and all parties can move forward

Pres Becher's response included note that managing agreement updated. Could be that SSE was compensated or had benchmark changed.

Edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianCoyote

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I wish Clippers would have moved to Anaheim and catered to Orange County fans. At least they would have carved a niche for themselves.
Sadly, the Clippers are always going to be more valuable as an LA team rather than an Orange County team. It's just how it is.

What's funny about this is when Sterling moved the Clippers from San Diego to LA, he did it without the permission of the other owners, so the Clippers really shouldn't even be in LA anyway.

I agree that the team would be more popular if they were based in Anaheim. At this point Anaheim's best hope is for an expansion team, although with the Honda Center approaching 30 yrs of age, I can't imagine Anaheim has a good shot without a new arena.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Sadly, the Clippers are always going to be more valuable as an LA team rather than an Orange County team. It's just how it is.

What's funny about this is when Sterling moved the Clippers from San Diego to LA, he did it without the permission of the other owners, so the Clippers really shouldn't even be in LA anyway.

I agree that the team would be more popular if they were based in Anaheim. At this point Anaheim's best hope is for an expansion team, although with the Honda Center approaching 30 yrs of age, I can't imagine Anaheim has a good shot without a new arena.
I don't get that. Wheres the value of being irrelevant?

This also applies to Chargers.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
During the Sharks draft coverage, president Becher was on the Sharks live feed.

He mentioned that there are FIVE major construction projects in the immediate area of the arena that may impact access to SAP Center.

Google village
CalTrain electrification
California highspeed rail

among others.

And of course, none of the five groups doing the construction were coordinating things (especially WRT access to SAP Center, parking for events)

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I don't get that. Wheres the value of being irrelevant?

This also applies to Chargers.

I don't know why the Chargers didn't look elsewhere after the Rams won the race for LA. They would have been better off being the San Antonio Chargers or the Toronto Chargers as opposed to LA

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I don't know why the Chargers didn't look elsewhere after the Rams won the race for LA. They would have been better off being the San Antonio Chargers or the Toronto Chargers as opposed to LA
Because if they didn't go to LA, per the terms of the agreement among the league, the Raiders could and would have. The Rams were given the green light, the Chargers were given the option to join them, but if they didn't take that option, then it would pass on to the Raiders. And no one wanted to reward the Raiders with LA.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Because if they didn't go to LA, per the terms of the agreement among the league, the Raiders could and would have. The Rams were given the green light, the Chargers were given the option to join them, but if they didn't take that option, then it would pass on to the Raiders. And no one wanted to reward the Raiders with LA.

Considering the Chargers were partners with the Raiders I doubt they would have had it out for the Raiders like others in the league did. Even if they did that would be a stupid reason to pick LA as their new home.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Wether they went to LA with the Raiders or with the Rams didn't really matter to them. But the one scenario they didn't want was to be shut out of LA completely. Even though they are completely and utterly irrelevant in the market. Heck, the Rams aren't even that big. The most popular team in LA remains, well, the Raiders.

The Chargers had to pay lip service to the idea of staying in San Diego, and truthfully they could and should have gone in with SDSU on their new stadium being built in the parking lot of the now-demolished Jack Murphy Stadium. But the owner insisted on a downtown stadium like the Padres have, despite the fact that a) the team had played in the Mission Valley for decades and was established there and b) football stadiums of NFL size make no sense in downtown areas and are better placed in less-dense outer areas like Mission Valley in the first place. It's clear it was a poison-pill demand from an owner who clearly wanted to move anyway and had for some time.

Either way, we are far afield of San Jose.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Wether they went to LA with the Raiders or with the Rams didn't really matter to them. But the one scenario they didn't want was to be shut out of LA completely. Even though they are completely and utterly irrelevant in the market. Heck, the Rams aren't even that big. The most popular team in LA remains, well, the Raiders.

The Chargers had to pay lip service to the idea of staying in San Diego, and truthfully they could and should have gone in with SDSU on their new stadium being built in the parking lot of the now-demolished Jack Murphy Stadium. But the owner insisted on a downtown stadium like the Padres have, despite the fact that a) the team had played in the Mission Valley for decades and was established there and b) football stadiums of NFL size make no sense in downtown areas and are better placed in less-dense outer areas like Mission Valley in the first place. It's clear it was a poison-pill demand from an owner who clearly wanted to move anyway and had for some time.

Either way, we are far afield of San Jose.

I know we are far from San Jose but threads diverge and it seems like the Sharks have reached an agreement. That being said I thought the Chargers could have made LA work if they went alone. Failing that they should have gone to a market which doesn't already have 2 MLB teams, 2 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 power house college programs, and another NFL team. I also didn't think St Louis deserved to lose the Rams.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Well, the Rams should never have left LA in the first place (I think the Cardinals should still be there, but that may just be the naturalness of "St Louis Cardinals" to my baseball fan ear.) Heck, none of the cities deserved to lose their teams, except maybe Oakland because the Coliseum is a ruin. All things considered, though, the real major stupidity is moving the Chargers out of San Diego to become an irrelevant footnote.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Chargers are based and train out of Orange County in Costa Mesa. Too bad their owner won’t build a new stadium somewhere in Irvine or Anaheim.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
At this point, Google should just offer to buy the arena and the team. Move the team to a temp arena, completely build a new arena in the old SAP arena spot, completely designed with the public transit and parking in mind.

I mean, they are developing around it anyways, why not just do the whole thing and make it all connected and work well together.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I presume if Sharks moved (hypothetically in the future) somewhere else within the Bay Area, existing Sharks fans will still follow them.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I presume if Sharks moved (hypothetically in the future) somewhere else within the Bay Area, existing Sharks fans will still follow them.

Maybe.

Concentration of fans is in Santa Clara county. Weekday traffic issues can prevent folks from attending if they move elsewhere in county.

They are in an urban center, with lots of (regional) transportation options.

And close to airport.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Three was a lot of concern over where Levi Stadium (NFL) ended up being built.

On light rail line, and public bus lines. But still majority of folks drive.

SAP Center on regional rail (CalTrain, Amtrak), light rail, buses.

And BART planned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->