Downtown development to force Sharks from San Jose?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
My understanding with the Sharks lease it runs through 2040 and they can get out as early as 2025 with 3 years notice (July 2022) and that window shifts every year (i.e. give notice in 2023 for out in 2026, notice in 2024 for out in 2027 and so on...). So even if this plan goes through and the Sharks decide SAP Center no longer works long term, they'll still have time for a new building solution so I doubt they'll stick themselves in SF in an unsuitable building they don't control.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Ballpark, anyone have an idea how much would it cost to install permanent ice-making infrastructure at the Oakland Arena?

Might be an option if there will be 10-15 years of construction?

Aside from that, are there any other brownfield sites in SJ area that could house a future arena?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Ballpark, anyone have an idea how much would it cost to install permanent ice-making infrastructure at the Oakland Arena?

Might be an option if there will be 10-15 years of construction?

Aside from that, are there any other brownfield sites in SJ area that could house a future arena?
the A's have little interest in the former Oracle arena, that the Warriors used until Chase Center was built.... GS represents both Oakland/SF in retro alternates, including such as the Town, Bay and actually Oakland jerseys have become popular in SF.

Not even for the Barracuda would you see the Sharks shift toward the Bay area, the Sharks already are the Bay area's hockey franchise.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Sharks should have gone in on the Chase center with the Warriors so it would have been suitable for hockey. Now they are stuck potentially having to build one on their own.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
They have one of their own. The SAP center is not that old and they have kept it up-to-date (hence the reason the all-star game was there a couple of years ago). The issue here is not the building, it's the development around it that may cause traffic headaches. I'm sure some solution will be found.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
the A's have little interest in the former Oracle arena, that the Warriors used until Chase Center was built.... GS represents both Oakland/SF in retro alternates, including such as the Town, Bay and actually Oakland jerseys have become popular in SF.

Not even for the Barracuda would you see the Sharks shift toward the Bay area, the Sharks already are the Bay area's hockey franchise.
How does this have anything to do with the question of the Sharks using the Oakland Arena as a temporary venue if construction around SAP Arena makes it too much of a pain to use for a couple of years?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
How does this have anything to do with the question of the Sharks using the Oakland Arena as a temporary venue if construction around SAP Arena makes it too much of a pain to use for a couple of years?

It's an HOUR away from main fan base. Fans will not go to games there (time is just too precious and traffic is intolerable).

I don't think Oakland Arena can handle the modern mega tours (which SAP Center has been retrofitted to handle). It's not just the Sharks, but 150-200 days/year there are events. (Cuda will have new, smaller rink available for 2022-23 season so that opens some more dates.)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could they move to the Chase Center in San Fran?
Mutliple NBA only cities have built their new arena to be basketball specific, thus they are not suitable for an NHL team, like in AZ where the Suns play, Barclays with the Nets, Indiana with the Pacers, etc. down the line.

I believe from what I heard, the arena that Ballmer wants to build for the Clippers will be basketball focused, unless the Ducks want to get on board.

Chase is the same way. They asked the Sharks to join them and they declined, thus they made it basketball and concert specific.

These decisions will last for decades now as arenas won't get bigger in terms of capacity of fans, but the concourse and stuff can be expanded to offer more to the fans.

Not to mention that once built, public transit will likely be re-routed to go to the arena. Making a change to a new location unlikely in 35 years. Just continue to renovate the current arena. I don't expect many of the 90's built arenas to be replaced after 25-30 years now. Massive renovations have been done to Boston, St. Louis, and Philly in recent years to extend the life there.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Mutliple NBA only cities have built their new arena to be basketball specific, thus they are not suitable for an NHL team, like in AZ where the Suns play, Barclays with the Nets, Indiana with the Pacers, etc. down the line.

I believe from what I heard, the arena that Ballmer wants to build for the Clippers will be basketball focused, unless the Ducks want to get on board.

Chase is the same way. They asked the Sharks to join them and they declined, thus they made it basketball and concert specific.

These decisions will last for decades now as arenas won't get bigger in terms of capacity of fans, but the concourse and stuff can be expanded to offer more to the fans.

Not to mention that once built, public transit will likely be re-routed to go to the arena. Making a change to a new location unlikely in 35 years. Just continue to renovate the current arena. I don't expect many of the 90's built arenas to be replaced after 25-30 years now. Massive renovations have been done to Boston, St. Louis, and Philly in recent years to extend the life there.
There is a 0% chance the Ducks would ever be involved in moving to Inglewood. Even bringing up the Ducks name into this is an insult.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
If the issue is Google taking over the SAP parking and the city is willing to build SAP a parking garage, what is the issue?

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Disruption to the surrounding streets and the attendant traffic woes during construction. At least that's what the Sharks are saying is their concern publicly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Disruption to the surrounding streets and the attendant traffic woes during construction. At least that's what the Sharks are saying is their concern publicly.
But that would be temporary during the year or two that the construction is underway right?
When was this brought up? Sharks were asked to join the warriors in SF around 5 years ago as chase center was completed last year and under construction for 2 and plans submitted before that.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Sounds like they just want to be compensated for that.

Reactions: oknazevad

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Sounds like they just want to be compensated for that.

Bingo. After all, this is nothing a good bus shuttle system doesn’t solve.

(EDIT- I tried to write shuttle, whatever mistake I made autocorrected to hurtle, so now it’s incumbent upon me to channel my inner Elon Musk and steal someone else’s idea for a “hurtle-craft” to improve access to SAP Center, demand the city of San Jose pay for it, and threaten anyone who tries to tell me my idea won’t work.)

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is a 0% chance the Ducks would ever be involved in moving to Inglewood. Even bringing up the Ducks name into this is an insult.
Just reinforcing that there is going to be another new indoor arena that is not capable of hosting a NHL hockey team. Joining the likes of the ones in SF, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Indiana, etc.

For those who have been in these basketball specific arenas and ones that can accommodate NHL hockey, do you notice a drastic difference in watching basketball between the 2 types of arenas?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Just reinforcing that there is going to be another new indoor arena that is not capable of hosting a NHL hockey team. Joining the likes of the ones in SF, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Indiana, etc.

For those who have been in these basketball specific arenas and ones that can accommodate NHL hockey, do you notice a drastic difference in watching basketball between the 2 types of arenas?
there's another thing you forgot that's in play with the multi-purpose arenas, SH..... When the concert scene reemerges back to arenas rather than the Drive in settings you're seeing starting back....

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

The whole 'fan experience' angle is mostly nonsense. You build a basketball specific arena because it requires a smaller roof, which is the most expensive part of an arena.

The only people it might matter to are those sitting in the upper levels on the ends, as they're not as far away from the court.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
But that would be temporary during the year or two that the construction is underway right?
When was this brought up? Sharks were asked to join the warriors in SF around 5 years ago as chase center was completed last year and under construction for 2 and plans submitted before that.

Sharks Entertainment will lose out on concerts that won't come due to construction disruptions. Will lose out on event/concert and STH who won't come to the games.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Sharks Entertainment will lose out on concerts that won't come due to construction disruptions. Will lose out on event/concert and STH who won't come to the games.
The Ducks are building a 3 billion dollar mix use development around Honda Center which includes 2 hotels, apartments, high rise business tower, restaurants, and a 6,000 indoor concert venue. It won’t be fully completed until 2028 for the Olympics. Parking will also be an issue here while construction goes on. It’s kind of silly for the Sharks to complain about this when the Ducks will be going through almost the same scenario.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->