Downie the next Avery?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I havent seen that much of Downie (5 WJC games, 4 OHL games) But from what Ive seen, he seems to have an above average skill set, but what makes him great is his feistiness, grit, and aggravating ability. Now my question, do you think Downie will have a bigger impact at the NHL level than Avery?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He's not like Avery in the sense that he'll trash talk people to the media or things like that (not that I know of anyways).

If his offence comes around at the NHL level then he'll be a better player then Avery. He may be more undiciplined though, he usually loses his cool when games don't matter.

So I guess he'll need to mature some more to be a super-pest at the NHL level. IF he can keep his emotions in check he'll be a HUGE asset. If not, he's going to be a liability.

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
He's not like Avery in the sense that he'll trash talk people to the media or things like that (not that I know of anyways).

If his offence comes around at the NHL level then he'll be a better player then Avery. He may be more undiciplined though, he usually loses his cool when games don't matter.

So I guess he'll need to mature some more to be a super-pest at the NHL level. IF he can keep his emotions in check he'll be a HUGE asset. If not, he's going to be a liability.

Yup, pretty much my thoughts, too. That temper won't be tolerated at the NHL level, and it could be his downfall if he doesn't keep himself in check.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
As much as Avery is a complete idiot, Downie can be a bigger one.

He's got a lot more skill and scoring ability than Avery though. So if he can just not self destruct and learn how to play his role he will have a pretty big impact in the league.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
i think Downie is a mix between Avery and Theoren Fleury (minus the trash talk in the media and the alcoholism outside of hockey, however if Downie;s career goes down the poop hole i could see him being a drinker too)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So much Downie hate. That's alright, I'd take him on my team any day.

I'm confident that he'll be better than Avery, and potentially a first line winger.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I've never watched Downie play, but I've seen a lot of reports/comments about him, seems like he is more of the Theo Fleury type than the Avery type. Not that theres a huge gap between the two, I guess.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Exactly!

I see Downie as more of a meld between a vintage Kenny Linesman and Bobby Clarke. The Avery comparisons are more flattering to Avery quite frankly.

Yet for all of the concerns expressed on these boards about Downie's potential to be undisciplined in the future, when he was recently asked to tone it down during the past 2 WJC tournaments, he was able to behave exactly as requested when it counted.

Philly are crazy if Downie is not in their starting line-up next season

Last edited:

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City
Exactly!

I see Downey as more of a meld between a vintage Kenny Linesman and Bobby Clarke. The Avery comparisons are more flattering to Avery quite frankly.

Yet for all of the concerns expressed on these boards about Downey's potential to be undisciplined in the future, when he was recently asked to tone it down during the past 2 WJC tournaments, he was able to behave exactly as requested when it counted.

Philly are crazy if Downey is not in their starting line-up next season.

Its tough to tell if he'll be up with the Flyers next year. He had one game here with the Phantoms and didn't look great but he had just been the best player in playoff series got here the next day for one practice and then played the next day so it was hard to tell.

I definatley think he could be better than Avery (Avery overall not how he's been playing the last couple of weeks, he's been great) I'm hoping that Downie will be willing to drop the gloves more often than Avery though I hate it when aggitators don't drop the gloves when someone comes to see if they can take them down a notch.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I fixed the spelling of Dowie's name in my last post. I have a friend whose last name is spelled as Downey and I guess I mixed the 2 names up. LOL

Anyway, Steve Downie is in my mind a win at all costs player, a guy who will give you 100% effort for a win. I'd take him on my team in an instant.

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006

I'm confident that he'll be better than Avery, and potentially a first line winger.

The hate is a good thing. :)

The fact that people already hate him is great news for Flyers fans.

Roger's Pancreas*

He's been one of the most intelligent players for the Rangers since he was acquired. He hardly does anything stupid besides go offsides on the occasion. He's a very, very smart player when he puts his mind to the game.
Pretty much what I was getting at. You don't score 40+ points in the NHL (Avery), or lead the CHL in p.o. scoring (Downie) by being a dumb player.

They're both intelligent players. Downie just has a tendency to losen his grip on the handle bars when the stakes aren't high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad