The Athletic - Boston Down Goes Brown: What was the single biggest upgrade/downgrade in Bruins history?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Dafoe and Kristich for Moger and Stumpel?

Everyone’s listing trades where we gave up something good.

Oates for Janney should count.

We definitely won the Oates trade out of town as well despite the main piece being a historic bust.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Reactions: SPB2776 and TCB

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DGB heard the wrath from many Bruins fans about picking Sinden as the biggest upgrade

This week he writes about a team's biggest downgrade

The downgrade he picks is hard to top - firing Mike Sullivan for Dave Lewis

Down Goes Brown: What was the single worst downgrade in...
Boston Bruins

The answer is apparently Milt Schmidt to Harry Sinden, according to a lot of you.

OK, that’s not the answer, but let’s sidetrack for a second because I got a ton of pushback from Bruins’ fans about picking Sinden as an upgrade last week. I was surprised, but after hearing the arguments I can at least kind of get it. But only kind of, because there seem to be a lot of Bruins fans out there who are convinced that Sinden was a bad GM. No, he never won a Cup, but he made the playoffs almost every year, went to multiple finals, robbed the Kings of a first-round pick and then used it on Ray Bourque, stole Cam Neely from Vancouver and then stole Adam Oates to play with him. If you think that’s doing a bad job, you have some very high standards for your GM, and might want to ask a Leafs or Islanders fan what bad management really looks like.

Was Sinden cheap? Sure, but it wasn’t his money. If a team won’t spend, you blame the owner who cuts the checks, not the GM who has to work with the budget. I can concede that Sinden may have been the wrong pick as the Bruins’ biggest upgrade, but the idea that he did a bad job still seems crazy to me.
Anyway, the correct answer for a Bruins downgrade is new GM Peter Chiarelli firing future Cup-winner Mike Sullivan in 2006 to hire Dave Lewis.

The downgrade: Mike Sullivan to Dave Lewis, 2006 (coaching)

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Orr is definitely the best because it turned the franchise around and gave us 1b of the best player in history and the best defensemen or all time

Ray slipping to 8 was pretty good

Getting Neely

In the last twenty years I’m going to throw Horton into the ring.

The trade was an absolute win in Boston’s perspective because the assets they lost weren’t working out here and Horton went on to scoring multiple huge goals that same season propelling us to the cup. Remember, Thomas himself said in game 7 against the Bolts that he was more concerned we wouldn’t score on them rather than him letting up a goal.

Campbell was also included in that deal right? Wideman with a 1st for Horton n Campbell. Something like that? Robbery. I was so freaking pumped to land Horton.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Kessel for futures with nothing brought in to bridge the gap while the picks were being chosen and developed was a big downgrade. Literally threw away a season in the midst of the Chara/Bergy/Marchand window...

Thornton trade was a quarter for 3 nickels. Huge downgrade there.

Seguin trade, see Thornton, Joe.

Wheeler trade was also a downgrade over the long run, but did help with a cup run.

In recent times, the Riley Smith trade was a pretty big drop off.

Biggest upgrade to me was Wesley for all those picks, and then the players they got with said picks still bearing fruit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad