GDT: Dovals @ Icelanders; The MSGs

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Again....Historically, we've done pretty well against Philly and actually...you know...WON GAMES against them unlike the Isles where it doesn't matter whether they suck or don't suck, we still lose to them.

I think the Devils get back to their winning ways after the break.
We've had a terrible record over the Islanders for at least 18 years or so. It might even be into the 90's, but at least they were a playoff team sometimes in the 90's. We had a lot of embarrassing losses to them back when we were a perennial playoff team and they were a perennial loser team.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Don’t look up the Devils record vs. them on the road. All time, it’s horrific. The Devils had good success against them on home ice for a nice stretch but they’ve always struggled in Nassau and now in Brooklyn. I think there is maybe a handful of seasons where they did well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don’t look up the Devils record vs. them on the road. All time, it’s horrific. The Devils had good success against them on home ice for a nice stretch but they’ve always struggled in Nassau and now in Brooklyn. I think there is maybe a handful of seasons where they did well.
I've actually seen quite a few Devils wins over the Islanders back at the dump. I feel pretty fortunate in doing so.

But I've also seen my fair share of clunkers there too, like a couple blowout losses in the late 90's. I think one of them was the ''They ate too much'' comment from Lemaire.

I was also at the pathetic game where the Islanders ended their 14 game losing streak against us, when MacLean was the coach. Back on Black Friday (or maybe it was Saturday?) of 2010. There was also the MLK blowout loss in 2010, where we were shutout by Rick DiPietro. We were shutout by DiPietro in the November 2010 game also. Those were his last two career shutouts.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly I think this break comes at the perfect time.

Be real easy for all the frustration between dumb mistakes and constantly getting hosed by the refs to really snowball out of control.

Guys stepping away for a week to mentally reset should do them wonders. Just move on and put this waived off goal nonsense behind them.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
You have Hall having a career year in goals and really not expecting any significant drop from our rookies.

Most rookies hit a wall at 60 games.

I'm not dismissing the possibility, I just think it's ambitious.

Ambitious? Hell - I think I'm being borderline ludicrous - I was posting best case scenario - I had Gibbons dropping by 7 goals off the pace and Bratt, Wood also falling off by about half.

I find it more likely, however, that the rookies keep it going... than the goal allocations I gave to Mojo, Zajac and Stafford - who thus far don't give any real indications of living up to their preseason hype... and while injuries certainly played a role - I can see Palmieri picking up the pace, but I don't see Mojo or Stafford living up to projections....

Reactions: Aethon

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still giggling at the fake canned goalie chants that the Islanders have been doing for years.

Those (mostly) fake ''JA-RO! JA-RO! JA-RO! JA-RO!'' chants during the shootout, at least provided for a few laughs and giggles during an otherwise pathetic 5 rounds of misery.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The overturned goal stings, especially since it's trending right now.

But we had this game won until Hall took the retaliatory penalty and let the Isles back in the game. That is part of knowing how to close games out.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What are the chances that there's two players named Sebastian Aho in the same league, who are both roughly the same age?

Weirder than the two Petr Sykora's.

I think I read something on Twitter last week that they both have brothers with the same name...not sure if that is true though

The interesting part is that the Carolina one is Finnish whereas the Islanders one is Swedish.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

But we had this game won until Hall took the retaliatory penalty and let the Isles back in the game. That is part of knowing how to close games out.
Don't disagree one bit but it's really hard to criticize Hall for anything over the last few games.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Has there been any video posted of the "no goal"? I missed the first period, haven't seen it yet. Sounds like we got completely ripped off yet again :shakehead

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Has there been any video posted of the "no goal"? I missed the first period, haven't seen it yet. Sounds like we got completely ripped off yet again :shakehead

sebastian aho kinda guided palmieri into the left of the crease and halak didn't seem to make an effort to prevent his paddle from getting tangled up in palmieri's legs but *shrug*

anyway i hope this bye week does some good for the squad because, speaking for myself, it's f***ing torture. like wtf i guess i can watch the nets and seton hall this week.

edit: oh f***, speaking of seton hall, our ice is going to be garbage on saturday. they tip-off seven hours before puck drop against philly. :shakehead

Last edited:

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Seriously, WTF was up with that ?

I hated that 4-3 in OT.

That was terrible. Awful to watch. That's on the coaches for the way they drew it up. Hall in front of the net?? Palmieri and Johansson set up for one timers... and butcher up top. They just stood still passing the puck around.

I would've had Wood in front and some combination of Bratt/Hall/Hischier on he wings and Butcher or even Vatanen up top just to get a heavy right handed shot in there.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Aho also interfered with Halak.

as soon as i saw the contact on the scoreboard i thought to myself "ya what f***ing difference does it make to the officials when there happens to also be a white jersey there?"

surely enough, no goal.

i really hope this team responds well next saturday. we're 3-4-1 against metro division teams so far. not good enough.

Camille the Eel

The NHL needs to fix its replay, it's ludicrous how often they get it wrong. Review all calls in Toronto, don't expect refs ever to reverse themselves once they've made a call, and review all goals and no goals; don't leave it up to a challenge.

That said, we played well enough to win nearly all of these last four games. Two losses in OT or shootout. No need to panic. We are playing superb hockey; we are the better team most of these games. Amazing to say when you consider where we were last year at this time. Amazing grace. Our club is actually loaded. I'm thankful for it this New Year.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
sebastian aho kinda guided palmieri into the left of the crease and halak didn't seem to make an effort to prevent his paddle from getting tangled up in palmieri's legs but *shrug*

Even if he didn't, skaters should 100% be entitled to move through and go for a puck on white ice, and the part of Halak's body that was "interfered" with was clearly out of goal.

So lets take yesterday's disallowed goal logic to its' extreme application:

If a 6'5" goalie dives out of the crease to cover a puck and fails, but his skates remain in the blue, is the ensuing goal waved off because a skater makes contact with a part of the goalie's body that was 5 feet out of the blue? Apparently so.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Even if he didn't, skaters should 100% be entitled to move through and go for a puck on white ice, and the part of Halak's body that was "interfered" with was clearly out of goal.

So lets take yesterday's disallowed goal logic to its' extreme application:

If a 6'5" goalie dives out of the crease to cover a puck and fails, but his skates remain in the blue, is the ensuing goal waved off because a skater makes contact with a part of the goalie's body that was 5 feet out of the blue? Apparently so.

i have nothing else on this because it'll be construed as having a persecution complex and complaining about nothing more than 'bad breaks'

anyway, like i said, this team basically could have gone 3-1-1 instead of 0-2-3 in these last five, and i find it a wild coincidence that if the officials let all of our disallowed goals stand and all other variables remain constant (which no one probably would have batted an eye about) we're up a point on the caps with a game in hand before five days off.

*puts on tinfoil pirate hat*

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The NHL needs to fix its replay, it's ludicrous how often they get it wrong. Review all calls in Toronto, don't expect refs ever to reverse themselves once they've made a call, and review all goals and no goals; don't leave it up to a challenge.

That said, we played well enough to win nearly all of these last four games. Two losses in OT or shootout. No need to panic. We are playing superb hockey; we are the better team most of these games. Amazing to say when you consider where we were last year at this time. Amazing grace. Our club is actually loaded. I'm thankful for it this New Year.

the beautiful bitch about toronto is that the on-ice officials can call up the war room for "advice" even though the decision is ultimately theirs.

it's so f***ing stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad