Dougie Hamilton - Alex Pietrangelo

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah I'd be interested to see if anyone thinks Dougie's offensive upside is higher now.

I still think the majority of people will take Piet. Especially after his amazing 2nd half.

oh i dont doubt that, because Hamilton hasnt played a single NHL game, we wont know untill a few years from now. Im wondering if the comparison is closer

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
oh i dont doubt that, because Hamilton hasnt played a single NHL game, we wont know untill a few years from now. Im wondering if the comparison is closer

Any time a prospect improves the way Dougie has he's a closer comparison. That said I think I still pick Alex. There aren't many defensemen I'd rather have in the league.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
right now i would take alex too. we cant compare until Dougie has played a season or too. i hope he turns out like Piet

BudMovin*

Dougie has a pretty high ceiling. That being said, it is not as high as Alex Pietrangelo. He is the best defender under 25 in the league and probably only Chara and Weber are better right now.

loozer

Nov 2, 2007
Bay Area
Dougie has a pretty high ceiling. That being said, it is not as high as Alex Pietrangelo. He is the best defender under 25 in the league and probably only Chara and Weber are better right now.

Drew Doughty?

I haven't seen enough of Pietro to justify saying he isn't, but that's a pretty bold statement given Doughty has already had a Norris nomination and played an important role in his country winning Olympic Gold.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Pietrangelo has now had two better years than Doughty...One monster year and a significant drop off doesn't mean he's better.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Hamilton is more physical than Petro, I believe both have the offensive capabilities but I truly think Dougie will make his living in the NHL as a solid 2 way dependable dman that can pitch in 40-50 points

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Hamilton is more physical than Petro, I believe both have the offensive capabilities but I truly think Dougie will make his living in the NHL as a solid 2 way dependable dman that can pitch in 40-50 points

chara lite?

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Pietrangelo has now had two better years than Doughty...One monster year and a significant drop off doesn't mean he's better.

It's tough to say he had a better year that Doughty last year just because Doughty had massive expectations and Pietrangelo didn't. Doughty had everyone's attention after a Norris nomination the season previous, whereas Pietrangelo was a rookie. They were asked to do different things for their teams, thus an unfair comparison, IMO.

As for the thread, from my OHL viewings I've always felt Pietrangelo controlled the game better from an offensive standpoint. He just has a better overall offensive game, notably his instincts/overall hockey IQ. Hamilton may very well have even better physical tools, but to expect him to have a Pietrangelo-like impact offensively, just isn't fair, IMO.

Brock's post is spot on.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
It's tough to say he had a better year that Doughty last year just because Doughty had massive expectations and Pietrangelo didn't. Doughty had everyone's attention after a Norris nomination the season previous, whereas Pietrangelo was a rookie. They were asked to do different things for their teams, thus an unfair comparison, IMO.

As for the thread, from my OHL viewings I've always felt Pietrangelo controlled the game better from an offensive standpoint. He just has a better overall offensive game, notably his instincts/overall hockey IQ. Hamilton may very well have even better physical tools, but to expect him to have a Pietrangelo-like impact offensively, just isn't fair, IMO.

Brock's post is spot on.

good post, thanks for your insight. Brock's as well. As a Bruins fan i cant wait to see him in the NHL next year (hopefully?)

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
chara lite?

pretty much, very lite, not 6'9'' lite ahah. he's got an edge to him from the 8 times i saw him play this year and last.

good post, thanks for your insight. Brock's as well. As a Bruins fan i cant wait to see him in the NHL next year (hopefully?)

as for next year. its possible with a solid camp but with some of the depth in your organization, even if boston loses a dman this offseason woudlnt Warsofsky, Bartowski and Cohen be pretty much next in line. again with a solid camp Hamilton may out play all those guys and go ahead of them.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
pretty much, very lite, not 6'9'' lite ahah. he's got an edge to him from the 8 times i saw him play this year and last.

as for next year. its possible with a solid camp but with some of the depth in your organization, even if boston loses a dman this offseason woudlnt Warsofsky, Bartowski and Cohen be pretty much next in line. again with a solid camp Hamilton may out play all those guys and go ahead of them.

yes, Corvo wont be back, and Zanon is a UFA, so there's an opening as the #6/7 dman next year. I could actually see him beating out the guys you mentioned. Tommy Cross could be a sleeper

jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist
Nothing to go on in terms of observation, but based on what I've read I rather think it's a surprising comparison. As far as I have seen, there seems to be a good deal of doubt whether Hamilton's offensive game will translate to the NHL level, and I can't say I've read anyone attributing to him the kind of creativity and offensive acumen that Pietrangelo has.

Funny because his coach thinks differently:

"Dougie's the best junior defenseman I've ever coached," Niagara coach Marty Williamson told the National Post recently. "I think you could be looking at a Norris Trophy-type guy, a guy that has a [15- to 20-year] career ahead of him. He's going to be a wonderful pro."

I think the coach knows better than we do what his potential is. Not saying he will be as good as Petro, but to write him off is silly. He is only 19. I think his potential is scary good.

jasonbaz77*

I would give his chances of not being on the roster next year about 5%. He may have a diminished role (ala Seguin his first year), but he will definitely be on the team.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota

If the Bruins had the AHL as an option, then I bet Hamilton would get half a season there before getting a call up. But because it's not an option, he's NHL bound unless he just blows in camp. No way they send him back to the OHL for another season.

btw..I had no clue this was a thread bump when I read through the first 15 posts. Brock's post from 15 months ago was pretty damn impressive. Almost prophetic in a way. Most of us are wrong more than we're right, so kudos to Brock. He hit the nail on the head.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Interesting to hear Bob Mckenzie compare Dougie with Petro on Dougie's draft day (around 1:20). He said Dougie is better defensively, but Petro is better offensively (before both of their seasons this year, of course).

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
How close is this actual comparison? Seems to be a very very good one.

I don't actually think that Hamilton will ever have as high of potential as Piet, but has a great future none the less.

Could someone who see's Hamilton more often fill me in?

Maybe an OHL expert like Brock?

There's some interesting quotes about the 2 in this article:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/05/12/bruins-prospect-hamilton-a-man-amongst-boys/

“Dougie’s the best junior defenceman I’ve ever coached,” said IceDogs head coach Marty Williamson, who also coached St. Louis Blues stalwart Alex Pietrangelo.

He’s not even challenged at this level,” said former Leafs defenceman Mike Van Ryn, who coached Hamilton last year. “He’s the best athlete I’ve seen at his age.

redsox7327

Sep 10, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist
Nothing to go on in terms of observation, but based on what I've read I rather think it's a surprising comparison. As far as I have seen, there seems to be a good deal of doubt whether Hamilton's offensive game will translate to the NHL level, and I can't say I've read anyone attributing to him the kind of creativity and offensive acumen that Pietrangelo has.

Funny because his coach thinks differently:

"Dougie's the best junior defenseman I've ever coached," Niagara coach Marty Williamson told the National Post recently. "I think you could be looking at a Norris Trophy-type guy, a guy that has a [15- to 20-year] career ahead of him. He's going to be a wonderful pro."

I think the coach knows better than we do what his potential is. Not saying he will be as good as Petro, but to write him off is silly. He is only 19. I think his potential is scary good.

FTR, the comment you quoted was made over 15 months ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad