Dougie Hamilton - Alex Pietrangelo

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How close is this actual comparison? Seems to be a very very good one.

I don't actually think that Hamilton will ever have as high of potential as Piet, but has a great future none the less.

Could someone who see's Hamilton more often fill me in?

Maybe an OHL expert like Brock?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Do watch out RS because Hamilton's fanbase has a tend to overrated him. Great player nonetheless.

I am very aware. That's why I am looking for someone like Brock to comment.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Honestly I think Pietrangelo is on another level. Dougie Hamilton is definitely one of the best defenseman in this class but I just don't see the offensive upside in him that Pietro has. I think because they are both big bodies/both played for the ice dogs that comparison gets unjustly thrown around a lot. Anyways i'm basing this on seeing both around 5 times live and Pietro at the WJC so take it with a grain of salt.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
My viewing of Hamilton has been pretty limited but I was unimpressed with his foot speed in the CHL Top Prospects game. Wondering if that's just my take or if that's a general criticism as well.

Parise09*

Siemens or Hamilton?

Sorry, I hope this isn't derailing the thread, I just always see them compared, but never see a definite answer to this debate.

arsmaster*

Small viewing by me as well, but is Hamilton not more of a physical defensman, than a cerebral skating defensman.

His stat line in his draft year is more comparable to Bogosian's (but we all know on HFboards Bogo is a bust...so I will get raked for that comparison).

I think a lot of Hamilton's stats are the benefit of the team he plays for...Niagara can put the puck in the net....seems way closer to a Erik Gudbranson, than a guy who will be a #1 NHL defensman by 21. Just my thoughts....not a knock on Hammy or Gudbranson, because both will be excellent NHL defensman, just more of a 'tire pumping' for Pietro, who I think has Norris trophy potential down the road.

Siemens has a lot more offensive upside than McIlrath too, he is a two-way d-man, with shutdown ability...McIlrath is more of an enforcer, who could one day become a top 4 defensman.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

I don't actually think that Hamilton will ever have as high of potential as Piet, but has a great future none the less.

I see I've been summoned!:sarcasm:

I've seen a lot of these two over the years and outside of the fact that both are bigger guys with good mobility, I don't see a lot of similarities. I think they play different games and project as different NHL players.

Hamilton is a more physical player than Pietrangelo ever was in the OHL. Even in his last OHL season, Petro wasn't one to use his size for the open ice hit or to be physical in front of the net or in the corners. Hamilton is quite physical. He loves to hit in the open ice (especially around the blueline), and he's quite willing to throw his weight around in front of the net and in the corners. I think he projects as an above average physical player in the NHL, something Pietrangelo (for all his strengths) will never be.

Pietrangelo is definitely the more naturally gifted offensive player. Hamilton has potential, but he's a hard worker offensively who uses his above average IQ to pick up points by sneaking into the slot (vast majority of his goals) or making a good pass up the ice. He's improved in his ability to bring the puck up the ice, but he's not an elite puck rusher (nor will he ever be IMO). Where as Pietrangelo created things offensively off the rush and quite frequently beat defenders inside/out with slick moves.

Lastly, Hamilton is a better defender than Petro was and takes significantly less chances offensively. At times, in the OHL, Petro was like a 4th forward out there (especially under Mario Cicchillo in Niagara). Hamilton is a significantly safer player, at the consequence of being less dynamic. But the critical thing is that Hamilton is probably currently a better defender than Petro ever was in the OHL (including his 19 year old season) and is definitely better defensively than Petro when he was drafted.

Personally, the comparison I like best for Hamilton is Brent Seabrook. I think they play comparable games, with Hamilton possessing a slightly more dynamic offensive game (at least potentially).

schronote

Sep 15, 2008
They have many similarities, both right handed puck moving dmen. They have similar size and both played for Niagara. Shot style is similar as is skating style but the difference lies in the way they play shift in shift out. Petro's hockey sense is higher, he makes the unexpected plays that not many other players see and has very very good poise under pressure. Hamilton is willing to sacrifice the body a little more at the same age but is not quite as dynamic when it comes to making plays. It will be interesting to see where Hamilton goes because I see him as the number 2 dman in the draft. I would not be surprised if he was the numer 5 pick overall.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
You would you rather have then Brock? Petro or Hamilton in the NHL?

Can I have both?

I you held a gun to my head...and I had to pick one...

It'd be Petro. In today's NHL, players like Pietrangelo are really important. Especially since he's improved his defensive play. He can push the tempo of the game and makes the dynamic plays that can change the state of the game/momentum.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Dougie is a little more physical, but I don't see the commanding puck presence of Petro. Alex always just looks so comfortable with the puck (not to say Dougie doesn't, but it's on a different level). Like Brock said, they project as two very different type of defenceman, but both are fantastic all around players.

And you also won't find a better kid than Dougie. Amazingly smart and always helps out in the community.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hamilton's more physical, not as mobile and has less offensive upside than Pietro.

After sitting behind the end Niagara defended during the 1st and 3rd period in a 10-1 loss to Mississauga at the Hershey Centre, I have to emphasize this.

Mind you it was in a 10-1 loss but Petro is on a different level. Extremely smooth player, did you see the passes/chips he makes to clear the zone, other dmen struggle with that but he makes it look effortless. Also don't think Hamilton's slapshot can match Pietrangelo's. He was the most noteable Niagra dman in that loss for me and whenever I see him on TV but he might never be as good as Pietrangelo gets, you have to remember that Pietrangelo might end up being the best dman picked in that 08 draft with Doughty/Myers, I think he'll be top 2 or 3 though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thanks Brock! Exactly what I was after.

I had no idea that Hamilton is considered to be that physical.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Hamilton has HUGE upside

and from a Majors fan, he plays against other teams top line and has shown great poise and calmness with the puck

Easy top 10 pick

IMO will be drafted higher then Siemens, Murphy and others. Somewhere between 5-10

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hamilton has HUGE upside

and from a Majors fan, he plays against other teams top line and has shown great poise and calmness with the puck

Easy top 10 pick

IMO will be drafted higher then Siemens, Murphy and others. Somewhere between 5-10

I am a huge Siemens fan, but even I am starting to believe that Hamilton goes higher. His potential offensive upside is much higher than Siemens.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I think that maybe Gudbranson's a better comparable for Hamilton than Pietrangelo...

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009

Nothing to go on in terms of observation, but based on what I've read I rather think it's a surprising comparison. As far as I have seen, there seems to be a good deal of doubt whether Hamilton's offensive game will translate to the NHL level, and I can't say I've read anyone attributing to him the kind of creativity and offensive acumen that Pietrangelo has.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Dougie Hamilton vs. Alex Pietrangelo

Who will be the better player? Long responses with skill and overall comparisons would be appreciated!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nothing to go on in terms of observation, but based on what I've read I rather think it's a surprising comparison. As far as I have seen, there seems to be a good deal of doubt whether Hamilton's offensive game will translate to the NHL level, and I can't say I've read anyone attributing to him the kind of creativity and offensive acumen that Pietrangelo has.

I don't see why his offensive game wouldn't translate. Maybe I'm one of the few that thinks he can be a consistent 40 - 50 point producer with great defensive coverage. He's 6'4, fairly physical, and great defensively. What really helps him though is that he's so smart and mobile. He's got great skating for his size, and he just makes very, very smart plays. It just seems like he always knows what to do with the puck. I don't think his points are a product of him being overly offensively talented, but moreso a result of his smart play and I think that will definitely translate into the NHL.

Dunno why people are putting down Hamilton's numbers though as though they don't mean as much as Pietrangelo's because of the team. Niagara scored 273 goals this year, and in Petro's draft year Niagara scored 272...he had Caputi while Hamilton has Strome. I didn't get to see Pietrangelo play much so I can't make a true comparison, but people writing off Hamilton's offence based on team strength is nonsense.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
just found this thread. how bout we take a second look at them? its been almost a year. Piet had a great season and Dougie tore up the OHL (people were questioning his offensive potential, seemed like he broke out offensively)

i think after this year, they seem comparably closer than last year

the one thing i noticed is Dougie has grown taller and is 6'5 now, Piet is 6'3

Last edited:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
just found this thread. how bout we take a second look at them? its been almost a year. Piet had a great season and Dougie tore up the OHL (people were questioning his offensive potential, seemed like he broke out offensively)

i think after this year, they seem comparably closer than last year

the one thing i noticed is Dougie has grown taller and is 6'5 now, Piet is 6'3

Yeah I'd be interested to see if anyone thinks Dougie's offensive upside is higher now.

I still think the majority of people will take Piet. Especially after his amazing 2nd half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->