Doughty Sees Kings "Running Out of Time"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't blame him for pressuring management to be aggressive. They probably could be a playoff team with some bold moves, but perhaps playing more safe and slow might make some sense too.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
what_year_is_it-DMID1-5c3t4izyb-512x384.gif

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Helps if you watch hockey with your eyes open.

Drew had a Norris finalist caliber year. Shouldn't be in the conversation because the Kings tanked out, but for 3/4 of the year, the guy was as good as ever.

And his "Good as ever" isn't in the same ballpark as the other three guys mentioned. Those guys posted elite defence and offence year after year winning multiple Norris trophies. Doughty is not in the same ball park as a Pronger or Niedermeyer who are in the next tier down.

Sorry if that makes you sad and angry.

Reactions: Get North

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What does he mean running out of time? Kings are rebuilding.

And you know what? Maybe they would not need to rebuild if Doughty with his 11mil AAV contract stopped playing like a lowbob and actually played Norris calibre defense. Perhaps they could compete. Disgusting seeing this trend of getting crazy contract, playing like garbage, and then crying that team does poorly.

How about Doughty goes for a mutual contract termination and signs for min salary if he wants to compete? If not, he should be quiet.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Several posters need to get their facts straight:
1. Kings have the 2nd lowest payroll in the league...Doughty's salary is impacting nothing.
2. Doughty has a NMC...the Kings can only trade him to where HE wants to go.
3. Doughty was having an all-star season for much of the year
4. The Kings defense w/o Doughty would be AHL level.
5. If the Kings continue to lose and keep an unhappy Doughty (and probably Kopitar) their locker room will be an absolutely toxic place to bring kids into
6. If the Kings do trade Doughty they will be terrible for the next 4-5 years. That's a lot of pain to ask of AEG, season ticket holders, sponsors, employees, and players.

No easy answers here.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
6. If the Kings do trade Doughty they will be terrible for the next 4-5 years. That's a lot of pain to ask of AEG, season ticket holders, sponsors, employees, and players.

No easy answers here.
They will be terrible for the next 4-5 years either way.

Hope they keep Doughty and Kopitar, and Quick as they could net pieces to accelerate the rebuild in trade.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I echo the above poster, terrible for the next 4-5 years? They have been terrible the last 7 years, missing the playoffs in 5 of those years. They will continue to be terrible with doughty, kopitar and quick.

Reactions: vanarchy

lawrence

May 19, 2012
wait…. Did he actually think there was still time ? This means he thought his team had a chance even though they were the worst team in the nhl last season. Lol

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I think the more realistic option here is to trade away Doughty and the vets and stay on course.

If not, then go after Eichel. You rarely have a player like that available anyways.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I thought the Kings had the best farm system in hockey
Why do they need to trade vets for more futures?

Evergreen

What does he mean running out of time? Kings are rebuilding.

And you know what? Maybe they would not need to rebuild if Doughty with his 11mil AAV contract stopped playing like a lowbob and actually played Norris calibre defense. Perhaps they could compete. Disgusting seeing this trend of getting crazy contract, playing like garbage, and then crying that team does poorly.

How about Doughty goes for a mutual contract termination and signs for min salary if he wants to compete? If not, he should be quiet.
Doughty actually played great this year from what I saw. His play dipped a bit toward the end of the year, but that's probably because he was playing insane minutes all year with a compressed schedule.

But I do agree that the Kings' priority should be the long-term success of the team, not going for one last run while Doughty is around.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They have arguably the best prospect pool in the NHL (top 3 at least). IMO they will be back in the playoffs sooner rather than later.

Also Doughty himself has lots of time. He's still playing at a high level and will only be 32 in November; defensemen typically age better than other players.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
It's kinda funny how whiny Doughty has gotten now that he has two cups and a ridiculously huge set for life contract. Get out of here Drew

Reactions: MillanDynasty

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Doughty needs to realize they haven't been in the position to add good players until after last draft. You need assets and cap space to make those moves as well as a willing team. Maybe they would be in a better spot had Doughty and Kopitar not taken seasons off? Same goes to the guys they traded who are now playing well. Why did they fall off a cliff in LA but are thriving elsewhere? Its as much Doughty and Kopitar's fault as it is Blakes. I don't feel bad for him or any of the vets who signed retirement contracts then played complacent hockey. Had they taken less money because they wanted to win and that was clear from the beginning then he would have a case.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 43-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
And his "Good as ever" isn't in the same ballpark as the other three guys mentioned. Those guys posted elite defence and offence year after year winning multiple Norris trophies. Doughty is not in the same ball park as a Pronger or Niedermeyer who are in the next tier down.

Sorry if that makes you sad and angry.
So he's a lower rank future HOFer?

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
"Running out of time?" They were "running out of time" in like 2016. I thought it was well established that the Doughty-Kings entered full rebuild status years ago. Running out of time lol.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I....hope they keep them so they can.....trade them?

I hope they keep them instead of trading them to get assets for the future.

They play in my team's division so the longer they stay a doormat the better it is for everyone else.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I hope they keep them instead of trading them to get assets for the future.

They play in my team's division so the longer they stay a doormat the better it is for everyone else.

Got it, so you mean "So they can't net pieces to accelerate" etc. That makes more sense!

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
The good this is Doughty had a good season, so the Kings could get a return if the sides decided to move on.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't stand the guy, but I'd take him on my team in a moment if the Kings retained 4m

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The good this is Doughty had a good season, so the Kings could get a return if the sides decided to move on.
Can they though? 6 more years at an 11m cap hit during a flat cap? Kings need to retain to get much of value from a contender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->