Doughty Sees Kings "Running Out of Time"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can see where he's coming from a personal standpoint that he and his contemporaries have only so many opportunities to compete for a title.

But must be a tough balancing act for the franchise that's clearly setting itself up for life after Doughty, Kopitar, Quick and Brown and doing a good job of it to also make use of the older core left over from its championship era. Those young pieces need to also be given the opportunity to develop into a new core and not just fodder to keep the current team afloat.

Doughty sees Kings 'running out of time,' wants aggressive offseason

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Deserves to be traded, if he wants it. Maybe he wants to stay but likely he’s not going to get to stay on this team as a top contender and compete while still being a big factor

there are some young teams further along in the rebuild than the Kings who could use a Dman vet now and will be competitive way sooner than the Kings

Reactions: HockeyWooot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Deserves to be traded, if he wants it. Maybe he wants to stay but likely he’s not going to get to stay on this team as a top contender and compete while still being a big factor

there are some young teams further along in the rebuild than the Kings who could use a Dman vet now and will be competitive way sooner than the Kings
His best years are running out but realistically the D needs some more help.
Brown has 1 year left, Quick has 2, Kopitar has 3, DD has like 6.

they won’t be a contender while Brown and Quick are under contract. At best Kopitar will be in his final year but he’s likely done too before they are contenders.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
His best years are running out but realistically the D needs some more help.
Brown has 1 year left, Quick has 2, Kopitar has 3, DD has like 6.

they won’t be a contender while Brown and Quick are under contract. At best Kopitar will be in his final year but he’s likely done too before they are contenders.
They could use some high draft picks lol. Not saying it would be the best decision for the Kings but it wouldn’t completely screw them. By the time they replace the other gaps, Doughty will be done and that’s a new gap

I was thinking more as a fan of Doughty. The Rangers are sooo close, and the usual top east teams will age out within Doughty s still good years while the rangers are ready to surpass them. They’d make the playoffs in any other division this year, or as a wild card in a normal year.

a still very good Dman vet, with cup experience and leadership added to their D, on top of the vet forwards they have for their young forwards... I’d take Doughty over Eichel any day. They could use a center but they still/already score a shitload and their guys will get better.

imo a rock solid deep defense + great goalie w a pretty good forward group (isles)

is better than super deep forward group with pretty good defense depth.

and the rangers forwards are better scorers than the isles, Doughty would help fill multiple needs. Basically all needs.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Doughty and co. Are not winning another Stanley cup, at least not in LA. Only way he wins a cup if he’s traded and a good chunk of his salary is retained. It’s not a coincidence that when doughty and kopitar signed their current contracts they haven’t won a playoff series, and missed 4 of the last 6 years of the playoffs. $11 million dollar defencemen have not and will not be winning any Stanley cups, especially $11 million 31 yr old defencemen

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Doughty and co. Are not winning another Stanley cup, at least not in LA. Only way he wins a cup if he’s traded and a good chunk of his salary is retained. It’s not a coincidence that when doughty and kopitar signed their current contracts they haven’t won a playoff series, and missed 4 of the last 6 years of the playoffs. $11 million dollar defencemen have not and will not be winning any Stanley cups, especially $11 million 31 yr old defencemen

Well he's not washed up with the insinuations you're making. He'd be a top dman on many teams today so LA wouldn't have to retain a big chunk of his salary at all if teams wanted him and he was available.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
He was one of the few positives about this season. He really stood by his word and played a lot better. We have too many questionables on the roster and a lot of youth and capspace. It won't be easy getting the pieces to contend again.

Reactions: wetcoast

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I remember him making a fuss during his UFA that he only wanted to sign with a team looking to be a contender.

He then resigned with the Kings right when they were looking to start a rebuild.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Yeah his public plea for help is falling on deaf ears...

Do you really want to win, Drew? Restructure your contract for half AAV...thats a start.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
This is him pushing for an Eichel trade or another "win now" move with LA's prospects.

LA probably won't do it, but if they don't he's going to cry about it and ask for a trade.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
DD is a future HHOFer, is the Kings franchise's greatest defenseman and has earned the right to make demands of Blake. RB is in it for the long haul and won't be forced into dumb trades by this. I'd guess Blake trades DD and any other vets that make similar demands.

Reactions: TK 421

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
DD is a future HHOFer, is the Kings franchise's greatest defenseman and has earned the right to make demands of Blake. RB is in it for the long haul and won't be forced into dumb trades by this. I'd guess Blake trades DD and any other vets that make similar demands.
I think he needs to just gut the team and get draft picks. start fresh.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Kings will have to finish moving on from the old guard. They already shipped out Carter, next up should be Brown, Quick and Doughty. Only Kopitar should stay, he still has gas left in the tank and will be rejuvenated by playing with their young talented prospects.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The Kings have plenty of time considering the time Doughty is referring to is already up. Its his time that's running out if he stays in LA.
Exactly this. Would be far more in touch with reality if he said "I'm running out of time" instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad