Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There is nothing questionable about that hit by Carrier to Doughty. .

Seeing his numbers the whole way and not letting up? If the outcome was different, that couldve easily been called boarding. The league has shown there's absolutely 0 onus on the player getting hit.

Carrier isn't a saint. He was taking runs at Doughty and others the whole game.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

What does a player have to do these days for a hit to be considered blindside? Be behind him and find a way to speed up enough to hit him diagonally and from behind so the player truly can't see him? Not even directed at you specifically but everytime a player gets defended for an accused blindside hit, people always say "that wasn't blindside"

Do blindside hits just not exist? Doughty flew in from Carrier's side while Carrier was trying to get a handle on the puck and couldn't see him. That's a blindside and the hit was needlessly high.

He couldn't see him because his head was down....

Sorry, am I living in an alternate world here where you can just throw labels around and not have them mean anything?

Actually it wasn't a blindside hit, it was a slewfoot....it's almost the same thing

Hell the still on the picture you shows shows you that if Carrier had his head up, he sees Doughty

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Cogs was very late while this was on a puck carrier with his head down. That's the main difference.

Would be blown away if the league suspends a player like Doughty, who has no rap sheet, for a playoff game but the DoPS is in the business of blowing so who knows.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
While I'm very aware how rare suspensions are in the playoffs, I suspect this is going to come off as a 1 game suspension.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He couldn't see him because his head was down....

Sorry, am I living in an alternate world here where you can just throw labels around and not have them mean anything?

Actually it wasn't a blindside hit, it was a slewfoot....it's almost the same thing

Hell the still on the picture you shows shows you that if Carrier had his head up, he sees Doughty
You can say that about any blindside hit ever. That's the whole point. A blindside hit is one where a player hits another knowing the victim of the hit doesn't see it coming.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Seeing his numbers the whole way and not letting up? If the outcome was different, that couldve easily been called boarding. The league has shown there's absolutely 0 onus on the player getting hit.

Carrier isn't a saint. He was taking runs at Doughty and others the whole game.

Just because you see the numbers doesn't mean you're required to let up so long as you make the hit exactly like he did. Don't talk to me about if the outcome was different. Talk to me about what actually happened. It was a clean hit because of the way he did it. End of story. You're right that the onus is on the hitter and guess what? The hitter did what he needed to do to make that hit and thus it's clean and not a comparable hit to what Doughty did. Taking runs at Doughty and others the whole game only matters if his hits are actually dirty. This is the playoffs. Players are going to be physical and players like Carrier are tasked with that very thing.

The bottom line is that nothing Carrier did to Doughty was dirty. What Doughty did to Carrier was dirty and deserves supplemental discipline. If you're upset Doughty is getting hit cleanly, that's just too bad. Doughty's proper response is to return the favor and hit him back cleanly. Not dirty.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Looked like he timed it very poorly. Not an attempt to injure but reckless and stupid.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He hit Doughty, duh.

Okay. Cuz you have no bias here.

He saw the back of Doughty the whole time and didn't let up or attempt to play the puck. Like I said, if Drew doesn't brace and his head hits the glass and he's hurt that couldv'e easily been a 5 and a game. The outcome of hits are a huge influence and factor.

And again, Carrier is no saint. He was running around the whole game.

Reactions: Kylo Ren

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

He saw the back of Doughty the whole time and didn't let up or attempt to play the puck. Like I said, if Drew doesn't brace and his head hits the glass and he's hurt that couldv'e easily been a 5 and a game. The outcome of hits are a huge influence and factor.

That was solid, hard body contact along the boards, come on.

And it doesn't warrant a check to the head in response.

Reactions: Calgarybrutalist

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Except you're pretending like Carrier did nothing to make the hit clean. When he sticks his left hand around Doughty, he's taking the onus upon himself to make sure that hitting him was going to be fine.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
this is hockey, not soccer. Keep your head up and bud.
This mentality will keep players having their brains scrambled for a long long time so long as the DOPS keeps catering to "keep your head up" callousness towards player safety. I'm sure if McNabb did that shit to Kopitar you'd be calling for his head.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You can say that about any blindside hit ever. That's the whole point. A blindside hit is one where a player hits another knowing the victim of the hit doesn't see it coming.

Yea, you were better off just calling it a slewfoot.....a guy having his head down doesn't get the benefit of the doubt by calling it a blindside hit, that's just asinine

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yea, you were better off just calling it a slewfoot.....a guy having his head down doesn't get the benefit of the doubt by calling it a blindside hit, that's just asinine
Do the semantics really f***ing matter? The important part here is Doughty hit him way higher than he had to to drop him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

If that's your benchmark for a questionable hit then both teams had a good 10-20 questionable hits apiece.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Do the semantics really ****ing matter? The important part here is Doughty hit him way higher than he had to to drop him.

Apparently they do matter, because you are droning on about how bad it is because Carrier didn't see him, and therefore it's a blindside hit, which makes ZERO sense, I've already acknowledged it was a bad hit, that I don't think was malicious or vindictive, just mistimed with a poor angle that should result in a fine, but not a suspension.

Do you want him tarred and feathered too?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Apparently they do matter, because you are droning on about how bad it is because Carrier didn't see him, and therefore it's a blindside hit, which makes ZERO sense, I've already acknowledged it was a bad hit, that I don't think was malicious or vindictive, just mistimed with a poor angle that should result in a fine, but not a suspension.

Do you want him tarred and feathered too?
A one game suspension to show the NHL has the balls to take action in the interest of player safety would more than suffice for me.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Bad hit and probably a one game suspension during the season but this is playoffs so probably a fine and a stern warning from Parros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->