Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Carrier survived? Wow. It's almost like he sold it. Lol practicing already. What a bunch of tools.

Pathetic team, and a pathetic league.

Reactions: KingTrouty

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
There was no intention to hit him in the head or "hurt him in retaliation". He went for a hit and his shoulder slipped off Carriers shoulder hitting him in the head. Pretty easy to do with the speed of the game and the fact he had his head at shoulder level. If Carrier had his head up, we aren't having this conversation...
DOPS doesn't agree with you.

FishMonger

May 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Actually, according to the explanation video, they do agree.

Does anyone else watch these videos, and have no idea what the final result is going to be? I don't mean just this time, I mean over the last several years.
They go through the explanation, but whether or not there is going to be a suspension is always questionable, because there has been zero consistence in the final decision, even with almost identical explanations.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

That doesn't mean it was the right call. Keep your head up and you won't get leveled...it's been happening for years. Curious to hear what Scott Stevens has to say about the hit considering he made a living catching players with their head down. Hopefully Carrier learns not to skate through the middle of the ice with his head at shoulder height. Him and Gallant are great actors though...

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
That doesn't mean it was the right call. Keep your head up and you won't get leveled...it's been happening for years. Curious to hear what Scott Stevens has to say about the hit considering he made a living catching players with their head down. Hopefully Carrier learns not to skate through the middle of the ice with his head at shoulder height. Him and Gallant are great actors though...

Yeah because the league is the same and isnt putting focus on reducing head injuries

lol

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Yeah because the league is the same and isnt putting focus on reducing head injuries

lol

Teach players to keep their heads up then? We wouldn't be having this conversation if Carrier wouldn't have been hunched over with his head down like a moron.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Are you arguing that Doughty's hit was needless?? If you are, I think you will have the entire hockey community disagree with you, but feel free to clarify
I think the methodology he used to lay a hit was needless when he had less destructive alternatives. He could've thrown a hip check coming in from that angle, though I'll admit I don't know how capable Doughty is at throwing those. But more specifically rather than trying to lift Carrier shoulder first, which carries that risk of head contact if it misses, he could've sent the impact through Carrier's core, as in arm first, through the midsection. Doughty wanted to make sure he knocked Carrier to the ice with that hit hence his hit selection. But he chose the riskier hit. He didn't HAVE to hit like that and if he did he should've made damn sure he caught all of Carrier's shoulder.

I've said a bunch of times I don't think Doughty intended to seriously harm Carrier. As opposed to a hit like Kadri where it looked pretty malicious. And while I agree that intent should matter, I think curbing recklessness and lack of caution is important too.

This standard should've started earlier, and no it's not indicative of a desire on my part to remove hitting from the game. I thought last night was great with its physicality by both sides with the exception of the Doughty hit. But a standard that a player needs to exercise appropriate caution should have been in place before this. Part of me is irritated that it HAD to come to this and cripple the Kings at a point where they're already pretty crippled, but I think making an example of someone isn't a horrible thing. I just hope they follow suit with Kadri.

He hit shoulder to shoulder just so happens Carrier had his head down because he can't handle the puck with it up. Nice sell job though

Oof.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I thought Carrier's hit on Doughty below the goal line had potential to be even more dangerous but Doughty absorbed it. It could have been an ugly boarding major...

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think the methodology he used to lay a hit was needless when he had less destructive alternatives. He could've thrown a hip check coming in from that angle, though I'll admit I don't know how capable Doughty is at throwing those. But more specifically rather than trying to lift Carrier shoulder first, which carries that risk of head contact if it misses, he could've sent the impact through Carrier's core, as in arm first, through the midsection. Doughty wanted to make sure he knocked Carrier to the ice with that hit hence his hit selection. But he chose the riskier hit. He didn't HAVE to hit like that and if he did he should've made damn sure he caught all of Carrier's shoulder.

I've said a bunch of times I don't think Doughty intended to seriously harm Carrier. As opposed to a hit like Kadri where it looked pretty malicious. And while I agree that intent should matter, I think curbing recklessness and lack of caution is important too.

This standard should've started earlier, and no it's not indicative of a desire on my part to remove hitting from the game. I thought last night was great with its physicality by both sides with the exception of the Doughty hit. But a standard that a player needs to exercise appropriate caution should have been in place before this. Part of me is irritated that it HAD to come to this and cripple the Kings at a point where they're already pretty crippled, but I think making an example of someone isn't a horrible thing. I just hope they follow suit with Kadri.

Oof.

So the hit itself wasn't needless, but the trajectory/timing, I can stand with that, that's what I've been saying all long.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I thought Carrier's hit on Doughty below the goal line had potential to be even more dangerous but Doughty absorbed it. It could have been an ugly boarding major...

I thought Tuch's hit on doughty was much worse in the neutral zone, it was in that gray area where you know you shouldn't, but you really really want to....

member 88115

All huge hits have intent. You think a player like Reaves/Brown/Wilson ect are thinking, hmm lets make sure i hit this guy and it does not hurt. Than why throw a hit?

member 88115

I thought Tuch's hit on doughty was much worse in the neutral zone, it was in that gray area where you know you shouldn't, but you really really want to....
+ Collin Miller had a high hit on Pearson... but we are not going to complain. Its hockey.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Doughty had no intent to head-hunt, but that goes without saying. Almost every penalty called, the offending player did not want to trip/interfere/hook. But they did and they get called.

Same thing here. Doughty didnt want to hit him in the chin, but he did. he barely brushed his shoulder/jersey first and then went clean through his jaw. Rule is rules.

member 88115

Doughty had no intent to head-hunt, but that goes without saying. Almost every penalty called, the offending player did not want to trip/interfere/hook. But they did and they get called.

Same thing here. Doughty didnt want to hit him in the chin, but he did. he barely brushed his shoulder/jersey first and then went clean through his jaw. Rule is rules.
I get that, but not if a players suddenly changes his position and gets hit in the head in the process. If you penalize the player for that, that will get out across the league where guys are going to suddenly change angles to get players suspended. Its one thing when a player holds his position ( like Wingles) and gets hit in the head, but to me the suspension should not hold if the player getting hit changes his position to avoid the hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad