OT: Doug MacLean Takes a Jab at Panthers

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
This is a clip of the Leafs and Devils intermission on the Leafs' feed. A talk segment on Sportsnet featuring Doug MacLean taking a jab at the Panthers during a discussion about essentially who's a better goalie Marty Broduer vs Patrick Roy.

It might be small. But it doesn't sound like he was joking and it's the little things like this that maintain us being discredited in Canada. It doesn't help being a crappy team for the majority of our existence, but the head coach of our miracle run taking a small jab at us like that. Come on.. Why does he need to do that, honestly.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Iirc it was not an amicable breakup and he has held a grudge ever since. Thought being buddies with Gallant may have cooled that. Perhaps not.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He is seriously so torn about the Panthers, I feel for the man. He still likes and follows the team, but he takes little jabs at us whenever he can.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Guys that wasn't a jab lol. He was talking-up Roy and joking that it was a great feat for him to beat the 96 Panthers (since they were coached by him at the time.) He was just sarcastically talking himself up

Rat Trick

#CatsAreComing
Apr 23, 2014
Guys that wasn't a jab lol. He was talking-up Roy and joking that it was a great feat for him to beat the 96 Panthers (since they were coached by him at the time.) He was just sarcastically talking himself up

I also thought it that way.

ohnoitsrambo

Mar 17, 2014
Edmonton
I watch Doug every day pretty much on Hockeycentral @ noon, and he brings up the panthers quite often and always puts in a positive word for us. Even when the rest of the panel might be saying something dumb about jets say our attendance, he always is the voice of reason and reminds everyone what were going through. This was just a little sarcasm, nothing wrong with it. He likes the team and wants us to succeed.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
obvious sarcasm. end thread.

Even if he was being sarcastic (which is probably true) is that what the audience is thinking when they hear that?

"He's just being sarcastic; Florida was actually a good team that year"

Nope.

They're thinking "Wow, even the coach of their miracle run disrespects that franchise"

We're already in a mess, but it doesn't help for former associates/coaches/players/workers of the franchise to take ANY jabs about us in front a huge Canadian audience. It's like removing little pieces of the foundation every time someone does that.

I've seen and heard Doug talk positively about us in past segments, so let's hope this is just a rarity.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Iirc it was not an amicable breakup and he has held a grudge ever since. Thought being buddies with Gallant may have cooled that. Perhaps not.

I really don't get the holding a grudge thing. Since he was fired the team has changed every player, the replacement coach, the GM, the president AND the ownership group. They've got the same name and play in the same arena they moved to the season he was fired, but other than that, nothing's the same. Why hold a grudge? It's just stupid.

EDIT: read on, apparently he doesn't hold a grudge :laugh:

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
You think that's bad? Just be happy you don't have to listen to any of the Canadian media because you'd probably start to cry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad