Doug Maclean and John Shannon say Rick Nash is a superstar

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
he scored over 40 goals this season. great +-, beast on the pk... Tell me any other player in the nhl that did that this season. Not saying he is the best in the league but he is a superstar. Btw he also has two olympic goal medals!

Cool! DYK he had ONE assist in last years Olympics? He also had 1 point in 2006 and 5 in 2010. So for those keeping score at home thats 7 points in 19 games! He is an easily replaceable player on Team Canada,he was essentially put on the team because he's Captain Canada and does great at the World Championships.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
MacLean still thinks he's better than he is 12 years later. Nash had a very good year but he's no superstar.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
he plays well for team canada because he is not even asked to be the best player on his line, much less his team

ideally he's a complimentary star to a franchise player, he doesn't step up in the playoffs

But does he step up in ploffs?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
While everyone on this board is slamming Doug Maclean please show the hockey world your superior hockey knowledge.

Fact is Doug Maclean forgot more about hockey than 99% of this board will ever learn.

Or, as Doug so memorably put it himself when asked to respond to a local media critic: "When did [he] become a hockey expert?"

:)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
While everyone on this board is slamming Doug Maclean please show the hockey world your superior hockey knowledge.

Fact is Doug Maclean forgot more about hockey than 99% of this board will ever learn.

Yes, because being on tv means you have superior hockey knowledge to everyone who is not on tv. Give me a break. The guy has connections, that's all. It doesn't mean he understands hockey better than every living person who doesn't get to be on t.v.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Depends on the personal definition of superstar. Nash has done awesome things in regular seasons. Just not much when it matters most in the post-season. Superstar in regular season, meh in post season.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Superstar? He's cracked 70 points once in his career...and of course there's the 6 goals in 50 playoff games.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
"Nash is a Superstore."

Real_Canadian_Superstore.jpg

2010-06-15-09-43-34-4c178386d8943MacLean,_Doug.JPG

LOL

MacLean is a doofus.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He is a great player ,he draws alot of attention on the ice .His problem is that he isnt that elusive ,being as big as he is .He gets the best of defenders when he is on the ice,allowing others to see lessor d pairings :nod:

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Doug MacLean, the guy who drafted Rick Nash, needs positive affirmation? I'd have thought that just drafting Rick Nash, which he did, was all the affirmation that he would need, considering that he drafted Rick Nash. I guess I'm just cynical, since I didn't draft Rick Nash and he did draft Rick Nash, but what do I know since he drafted Rick Nash and I didn't.

Lol this made me laugh out loud!!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He is a great player ,he draws alot of attention on the ice .His problem is that he isnt that elusive ,being as big as he is .He gets the best of defenders when he is on the ice,allowing others to see lessor d pairings :nod:

His problem is that he doesn't skate very fast and has a muffin of a shot for a big guy.
He's got great hands and puck control though.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Ya know, I've never been of the mindset that you need to win a Cup or go on some sort of epic playoff run to be considered a superstar. That being said, if every time the playoffs come around suddenly you can't find the back of the net then it doesn't really matter how good you were in the regular season, you choked when it mattered most. I consider Ovechkin to be a superstar and he's never been out of the second round -- why? Because his playoff stats are right up there with his regular season stats so at least you could say he did his job. Nash needs to get his playoff PPG up if he wants to be remembered as a great player.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Hes a star player...not a superstar player.

IMO a 60-70 point player isnt a superstar.

Agree. He is a star. Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, etc are super stars.

He needs to start out scoring Chimera in the post season to be anything more than that.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Mac hasn't been relevant in 20 years. He was an okay assistant coach (in a totally different era) and a terrible head coach who still has people scratching their heads trying to figure out how he got to the finals. A truly awful GM to boot. He was a decent hockey mind for a bygone era, but he's out of his element now.

He's like Iron Mike or Mike Milbury. Pretty okay once upon a time, but like a glass of milk from the 90s, he's a little hard to stomach now.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I'm the second biggest Nash homer on HFNYR and I will concede he is not a super star. That's a bit much.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Star, not superstar. There are only about five, maybe six of those in the whole NHL.

This. I like Nash a lot, as a player, as a human being, but he's not quite a superstar imo. He's top 20 in the league though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->