Doug Maclean and John Shannon say Rick Nash is a superstar

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't get the talk about, he's not good enough.

Superstar is mainly a term about mass popularity. And he isn't one of the leagues superstars

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't get the talk about, he's not good enough.

Superstar is mainly a term about mass popularity. And he isn't one of the leagues superstars

Im kind of confused by those last 2 sentences. Are you saying hes not a superstar because hes not popular? If so thats pretty crazy, not sure how many guys can make that claim but the line would start behind Nicklas Backstrom.
Tarasenko, Johansen and Johnson now have as many 70 point seasons as Rick Nash so...

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Very good player, not a superstar, never was. Problem with Nash is his relative value. Currently the 5th highest cap hit of all wingers, at one time was the 5th highest paid forward. He has never done anything to justify such lofty numbers. Bottom line, for me, is that he's not a winner. 9 years with Columbus, only made playoffs once, never even won a game. Some argue the team around him was never good, but #1 overalls (or superstars) are supposed to make those around them better. Never happened with Nash. He then went to a much better Rangers team, and did nothing for them. It took acquiring a winner last year (St. Louis) for the Rangers to have a decent run, for which Nash still didn't do much. He certainly doesn't hurt to have, just doesn't carry a team like someone of his pedigree and salary should.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Rich Nash is a tremendous hockey player. Tremendous two way skills. His problem is that he spent the best years of his career with some loser organization with Humpty Dumpty as his center.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I'm just asking this for clarification purposes:

Did Doug Maclean draft Rick Nash by any chance? I'm not 100% sure.

Can anyone ask Doug if he did? If he's willing to talk about it that is.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Doug MacLean, the guy who drafted Rick Nash, needs positive affirmation? I'd have thought that just drafting Rick Nash, which he did, was all the affirmation that he would need, considering that he drafted Rick Nash. I guess I'm just cynical, since I didn't draft Rick Nash and he did draft Rick Nash, but what do I know since he drafted Rick Nash and I didn't.

A blind monkey would have drafted Rick Nash. He would have, wouldn't he?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
he scored over 40 goals this season. great +-, beast on the pk... Tell me any other player in the nhl that did that this season. Not saying he is the best in the league but he is a superstar. Btw he also has two olympic goal medals!

Yeah, Canada is a good team.

It's not really because of Nash.

I'd say he's a star....superstar is pushing it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I can remember Horcoff being referred to as a superstar while watching an Oil game the year after we lost in the finals. I laughed my ass off at the TV.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I thought he was great this year, maybe his best. I might not personally use the superlative to describe him, but he's definitely a star, and would be the best player on a lot of teams if he joined them tomorrow.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think they meant Steve Nash. Rick Nash is a superstar at pulling disappearing acts in the playoffs though. He is the rightful heir of the choker tag that is usually given to Thornton (unfairly).

Patrick Kane, now that is a superstar. 100+ playoff points, Conn Smythe winner and he's got just as many good years left as he has played so far.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think they meant Steve Nash. Rick Nash is a superstar at pulling disappearing acts in the playoffs though. He is the rightful heir of the choker tag that is usually given to Thornton (unfairly).

Patrick Kane, now that is a superstar. 100+ playoff points, Conn Smythe winner and he's got just as many good years left as he has played so far.

Yep. Nash, until he can do it consistently in the playoffs where your rep is really solidified will be just another high skilled player. After watching him last year vs the Kings, I never got the superstar feeling like he could score at any moment. With Kane in the WCF , I was always worried he'd come off the boards and just snipe some impossible shot.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He has a liberal definition of superstar, obviously. But that said, Nash is a star player. I think he's been overrated somewhat, and didn't deserve his place on the last Olympic team. That said, this last season warranted the hype he got. He was great last season. A star no doubt. Superstar... Eh... Save that for Crosby, Ovy, Malkin, etc.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
In Shannon's case it's because he was HNIC producer. Guy has no hockey credentials to speak of, but one of the perks of producing the show you can put your dumb face on TV if you want.

Not sure how you make the connection - Shannon hasn't worked for HNIC in fifteen years.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
While everyone on this board is slamming Doug Maclean please show the hockey world your superior hockey knowledge.

Fact is Doug Maclean forgot more about hockey than 99% of this board will ever learn.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
While everyone on this board is slamming Doug Maclean please show the hockey world your superior hockey knowledge.

Fact is Doug Maclean forgot more about hockey than 99% of this board will ever learn.

I may not know much but I think he has forgotten everything. Every time he opens his mouth, more garbage comes out.

AVsTimeOut

Jan 31, 2012
AV's Gum Retailer.
Everyone just heard them wrong. They actually said 'Nash is a supercar'.

1950_Nash_Healey_Roadster_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

To be fair, his middle name is McLaren.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

If so, he must have forgotten it prior to becoming Columbus's GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->