Doug Armstrong

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I hate Sanford because of the enigma that he is. When he is on, he's a really, really good player, but when he's off, he might as well be scratched in the press box. That's unfortunate, but you're right that he has been a good contributing player on his contract. That Stastny trade was actually a really good trade, but the problem with it now is that Foley had concussion issues that no one had diagnosed. Coupled by the fact that he got hurt again once he was traded, and now that Stastny trade looks lopsided. I don't fault Army for that at all because I can never predict what will happen to those younger players before they ever get to the NHL.
How is the Stastny trade lopsided? He was a rental and brought in a first round pick as well as Foley, both of which are fair value for someone of Stastny’s caliber as a rental.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I wouldn't say it looks lopsided because Foley washed out. That's kind of the nature of B level prospects. We still got a 1st rounder for a few months of an overpaid and oft-injured 50 point center who didn't put Winnipeg over the top like they hoped (they lost in 5 in the WCF during a year that they were 2nd place overall in the NHL). Then he walked as a UFA on a contract for a contract that pretty much everyone here agrees we wouldn't and shouldn't have offered him.

A late 1st and a prospect who washes out isn't a steal of a return for a guy like that, but it is pretty much right on par with the going rate. I'm not going to say it was a fantastic return, but I wouldn't call it lopsided against us either.
I should rephrase what I meant because you're right, I wouldn't use the term lopsided here. I might say something like the return for Stastny WAS equal or better for us, but now that Foley may never play another game, it seems less even. But like I said, you can't even project a player losing a career like this, so the 20-20 hindsight is really doing the heavy lifting for my opinion.

Reactions: Brian39

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
How is the Stastny trade lopsided? He was a rental and brought in a first round pick as well as Foley, both of which are fair value for someone of Stastny’s caliber as a rental.
I rephrased what I mean because I definitely shouldn't say it's lopsided, but the 20-20 hindsight is largely forming my opinion. I can be honest and say that at the time we got fair, if not great value for Stastny, but with Foley potentially losing his career, the return just 3 years later looks a bit garbo. AGAIN, at the time the value was more than fair, just to be clear.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Or he's just not too crazily interested in getting his feet wet in a pretty poor Free Agency pool. He usually goes for MAJOR needs or depth/bargains.

Krug was a need (just targeted the wrong player IMHO)
Perron was a Bargain (4x4 at the time was absolutely hated, but, 3 years later it is the best contract we have)
Bozak was a need (We just got even luckier that RoR was traded to us for peanuts shortly afterwards as well)

Army never really goes after the biggest fish in the pond during free agency. Unless you count Stastny?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Saad AAV is good. Term idk. Hopefully he doesn't decline.

Another great move by Army this off-season.

I view our D-core should be fixed. Not imo Cup Contender level.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If we made no more moves other than bringing Bozak back and re-signing our RFAS (and yes, I'm still holding out hope that Tarasenko stays with us at least through the season), I think we're good enough to be legit contenders again thanks to the moves Armstrong has made.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Of course he isn't done yet.
He still has the Tarasenko card to play.

I feel like Vlad isn’t going anywhere just yet.

If Vlad wants to leave he’s going to have to prove on the ice he’s still worth something because right now he isn’t worth his contract and we aren’t retaining on a cent unless we get back real value in a trade, which we know we won’t at this point.

Vlad wanting to move has contributed to his value dropping hard and his injuries without proof that he’s recovered has him at negative value to start with.

IMO if he is moved it won’t be until the TDL. Army’s no fool and it will require Vlad to play his best hockey so no matter what, we win.

Only person 91 can hurt at this point is himself.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I feel like Vlad isn’t going anywhere just yet. If Vlad wants to leave he’s going to have to prove on the ice he’s still worth something because right now he isn’t worth his contract and we aren’t retaining on a cent unless we get back real value, which we know we won’t at this point.

IMO if he is moved it won’t be until the TDL. Army’s no fool and it will require Vlad to play his best hockey so no matter what, we win.

I don't see Vladdy starting the year with the team.
Once the last of the scoring line UFA's is signed(Tatar is still floating out there); the teams who were left out will start to get desperate.

That's when you move Vladdy.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don't see Vladdy starting the year with the team.
Once the last of the scoring line UFA's is signed(Tatar is still floating out there); the teams who were left out will start to get desperate.

That's when you move Vladdy.

He’s two years at 7+ mil with a third surgery on the same shoulder with very little positive ice time from that. If we trade him right now, we need to add for value.

He needs to prove he isn’t a shadow of his former self. Army’s not going to take a bath on moving him unless we move his full contract and get value and I don’t see that happening right now…

I fully believe in Army. If he can find a way to ship off Vlad and commit theft, he will find it. But he’s not going to retain to ship him off unless it benefits us.

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
He’s two years at 7+ mil with a third surgery on the same shoulder with very little positive ice time from that. If we trade him right now, we need to add for value.

He needs to prove he isn’t a shadow of his former self. Army’s not going to take a bath on moving him unless we move his full contract and get value and I don’t see that happening right now…

I fully believe in Army. If he can find a way to ship off Vlad and commit theft, he will find it. But he’s not going to retain to ship him off unless it benefits us.

He was back for 24 games and a PO run and was going at a 50 point pace while coming into the season cold and playing with an injury depleted lineup that was having massive consistency issues.
IMO the only thing Vladdy has left to prove at this point is that he can play a full 82, and I can't see that happening here.

I agree that Army's not going to do anything stupid. But I don't agree with the concept that he needs to "prove he isn't a shadow of his former self". He already did that in the 2nd half.

Once the final scoring line UFA is signed; the teams who missed out will get desperate. That's when you'll see teams do stupid stuff and Army can and will take advantage of that situation.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Is there any chance Perunovich comes in and shrugs off the lost year of development, forcing his way onto the roster? Doubtful. I think Armstrong would probably like to turn Tarasenko into a LHD option plus Bozak. But his cap presence makes that impossible for now.

Reactions: Blueston

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Is there any chance Perunovich comes in and shrugs off the lost year of development, forcing his way onto the roster? Doubtful. I think Armstrong would probably like to turn Tarasenko into a LHD option plus Bozak. But his cap presence makes that impossible for now.

As the teams stands today; there is an opening for Perunovich.
Walman and Mikkola haven't been good enough to lock down the position.

But; as you say, the Vladdy situation could change that real quick.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

Walman looked really good last year. Better than he's ever looked. I want to see more. And with Dunn being lost to Seattle, that ice is available.

Reactions: BadgersandBlues

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

I would much, much rather Perunovich learns to play with professional hockey players in the AHL. There is no reason to rush him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad