Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
tenor.gif

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
@Ranksu

Did you see that Army was talking to you directly at the end of his press conference today about trading for Buchnevich? No shit he said "Stay tuned. You never know what will happen tonight. I'll talk to everybody later."

I gotta bust your balls some but holy hell what's the next trade going to look like??

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The Faulk trade wasn't bad. What was bad was him signing him to a long-term extension before he even played a game.
Even the Miller trade wasn't bad, everyone and their mother, and even their Mother's mother were saying Miller was the Key. It just didn't work out.

Revisionist history. A lot of people were saying our goaltending was adaquate but we desperately needed a center. Even people who wanted to upgrade goal were saying Miller wasn't a fit to our style of play. National talking heads and casual fans who didn't watch the Blues often may have thought he was the Blue's missing piece. Many hard-core Blues fans knew differently.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Revisionist history. A lot of people were saying our goaltending was adaquate but we desperately needed a center. Even people who wanted to upgrade goal were saying Miller wasn't a fit to our style of play. National talking heads and casual fans who didn't watch the Blues often may have thought he was the Blue's missing piece. Many hard-core Blues fans knew differently.

The trade in itself did no long term harm to the Blues, though, and the best player they gave up was Carrier.

Same can not be said for the Oshie trade.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The trade in itself did no long term harm to the Blues, though, and the best player they gave up was Carrier.

Same can not be said for the Oshie trade.

The trade gave us Ott, so I will forever damn it to the depths of hell. But yea, overall, it didn't hurt us. However, saying everyone and their mother thought Miller was the missing piece is just factually wrong.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
The trade gave us Ott, so I will forever damn it to the depths of hell. But yea, overall, it didn't hurt us. However, saying everyone and their mother thought Miller was the missing piece is just factually wrong.
That’s fair.

However, I’m willing to give Armstrong some slack. He went all in on that trade in 2014 and it didn’t work out.

I’d much rather have a GM be committed to going all in or selling than standing pat (in most circumstances).

Reactions: Ridge1982

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I will agree his trades have been mostly good. Some have been genius level. It is the contracts he has awarded lately that bother me. He has also made some questionable UFA signings.
You’re right that he can get into some trouble with re-signing our own guys, but aside from maybe Krug, I can’t really think of any other examples of him doing that with UFA’s. I think he’s been good on that front.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He hasn't been too awful when selling either. Sure, there's the Oshie debacle, but he did well to sell high on both Allen and Elliott, plus ended up with a king's ransom for Reaves of all people.
Despite the narrative being otherwise, he also did great on the Shatty trade too. He had a deal worked out contingent on Shatty signing an extension. Shatty decided that he wanted to test the market, so Army then sold him as a pure rental. The return on that was a 1st round pick (later traded to Philly) and Zach Sanford. Sanford isn't a world beater, but he pretty quickly turned into a bottom 6 NHLer and then took the next step to "adequate middle 6 guy." I'm in the camp who wants to move on from Sanford before his AAV gets too high, but he has undeniably been a good contributor as a cheap middle 6 option. Over the last 3 years, Sanford has averaged a 16 goal and 32 point pace as a complimentary guy averaging $1.3M against the cap. Getting a 1st rounder and a cost-controlled NHL player for a rental Shatty was absolutely a good return.

He also got a 1st (29th overall) and a prospect who didn't work out (Foley) for a rental Stastny. Not an incredible return, but certainly not terrible.

Worth noting that the returns of these "selling" trades is what gave us the draft capital to make the great "buying" trades for Schenn and ROR. We wouldn't have been in position to trade three 1sts (and another recent 1st round pick) for ROR/Schenn if we hadn't accumulated extra 1st rounders when Army was selling.

Last edited:

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
The moral of this entire thread is that no GM is perfect. You can just hope that yours makes more good moves then bad ones. I personally don't despise anything Army has done here lately. The Krug and Faulk contracts are probably a little longer than they need to be but that's the direction ufa's have went. Just the name of the game.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
B
The moral of this entire thread is that no GM is perfect. You can just hope that yours makes more good moves then bad ones. I personally don't despise anything Army has done here lately. The Krug and Faulk contracts are probably a little longer than they need to be but that's the direction ufa's have went. Just the name of the game.
It longer? Overpaid what level they play. 5mill.$ AAV max / year.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
B

It longer? Overpaid what level they play. 5mill.$ AAV max / year.

No chance you sign either of those in an open market for 5m AAV. Just my opinion. Faulk had a good year last year. Hopefully Krug has one this year and we can start to gel a bit. Having a totally reworked D core than the cup squad did and expecting immediate results is silly.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
No chance you sign either of those in an open market for 5m AAV. Just my opinion. Faulk had a good year last year. Hopefully Krug has one this year and we can start to gel a bit. Having a totally reworked D core than the cup squad did and expecting immediate results is silly.
Pietro didn't need years to understand how to play in new team and he was injured + covid and still he was Vegas best player at playoffs.

I guess that is difference between elite vs B level dmen.

Faulk had good first 14 games and after that he went back to normal level.

Reactions: Blues Knight

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Despite the narrative being otherwise, he also did great on the Shatty trade too. He had a deal worked out contingent on Shatty signing an extension. Shatty decided that he wanted to test the market, so Army then sold him as a pure rental. The return on that was a 1st round pick (later traded to Philly) and Zach Sanford. Sanford isn't a world beater, but he pretty quickly turned into a bottom 6 NHLer and then took the next step to "adequate middle 6 guy." I'm in the camp who wants to move on from Sanford before his AAV gets too high, but he has undeniably been a good contributor as a cheap middle 6 option. Over the last 3 years, Sanford has averaged a 16 goal and 32 point pace as a complimentary guy averaging $1.3M against the cap. Getting a 1st rounder and a cost-controlled NHL player for a rental Shatty was absolutely a good return.

He also got a 1st (29th overall) and a prospect who didn't work out (Foley) for a rental Stastny. Not an incredible return, but certainly not terrible.

Worth noting that the returns of these "selling" trades is what gave us the drafI t capital to make the great "buying" trades for Schenn and ROR. We wouldn't have been in position to trade three 1sts (and another recent 1st round pick) for ROR/Schenn if we hadn't accumulated extra 1st rounders when Army was selling.
I hate Sanford because of the enigma that he is. When he is on, he's a really, really good player, but when he's off, he might as well be scratched in the press box. That's unfortunate, but you're right that he has been a good contributing player on his contract. That Stastny trade was actually a really good trade, but the problem with it now is that Foley had concussion issues that no one had diagnosed. Coupled by the fact that he got hurt again once he was traded, and now that Stastny trade looks lopsided. I don't fault Army for that at all because I can never predict what will happen to those younger players before they ever get to the NHL.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That Stastny trade was actually a really good trade, but the problem with it now is that Foley had concussion issues that no one had diagnosed. Coupled by the fact that he got hurt again once he was traded, and now that Stastny trade looks lopsided. I don't fault Army for that at all because I can never predict what will happen to those younger players before they ever get to the NHL.
I wouldn't say it looks lopsided because Foley washed out. That's kind of the nature of B level prospects. We still got a 1st rounder for a few months of an overpaid and oft-injured 50 point center who didn't put Winnipeg over the top like they hoped (they lost in 5 in the WCF during a year that they were 2nd place overall in the NHL). Then he walked as a UFA on a contract for a contract that pretty much everyone here agrees we wouldn't and shouldn't have offered him.

A late 1st and a prospect who washes out isn't a steal of a return for a guy like that, but it is pretty much right on par with the going rate. I'm not going to say it was a fantastic return, but I wouldn't call it lopsided against us either.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad