Post-Game Talk: Double The Fun!

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I’m actually probably the only one gonna say this but I think Benning has improved quite a bit. We need to move out money in the offseason and I think it will be Russell or Sekera.
I’m not sure on the 1st. You wouldn’t believe the picks Vegas has this year. They have 3 picks in the 3rd and 3 in the 5th. . Columbus on the other hand

Moving out Sekera would be a huge mistake. He is the Oilers most intelligent dman.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Moving out Sekera would be a huge mistake. He is the Oilers most intelligent dman.

The mistake was giving the keys of the city to Chiarelli. I agree with you on Sekera but I think everyone realizes we need to cut salary and some parts are gonna need to be moved

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
To think that Brandon Manning trade may have sewered our whole season makes me absolutely irate.
Do we win 3-4 more games with Caggiula here instead of B. Finng Manning? Probably... f*** Chia!

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
To think that Brandon Manning trade may have sewered our whole season makes me absolutely irate.
Do we win 3-4 more games with Caggiula here instead of B. Finng Manning? Probably... **** Chia!

That isn't a ridiculous argument actually. Manning was a tire-fire on the backend, and Caggs would have scored a few goals. It was likely a trade that cost 1-2 wins, that isn't an overstatement at all.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The mistake was giving the keys of the city to Chiarelli. I agree with you on Sekera but I think everyone realizes we need to cut salary and some parts are gonna need to be moved

The last place the Oilers need to "cut" is the defense. It's razor thin as it is...one important dman goes down and they are done again. They need more NHL players, not less in an effort to cut costs.

If the Oilers could package some extras with Russell (he is still a useful, fan/player favorite, kind of dman. A serviceable 4/5) and turn him in to a right side 2/3, then they could pick up a 5/6 in free agency or small trade and have a good defense that could make the playoffs and sustain an injury.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Do we win 3-4 more games with Caggiula here instead of B. Finng Manning? Probably... **** Chia!

You can be just as angry at Keith gretzky, Mact, and bob nicholson who apparently made that trade by comitee (and failed to prevent any of the other bad moves despite senior positions in hockey operations).

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
You can be just as angry at Keith gretzky, Mact, and bob nicholson who apparently made that trade by comitee (and failed to prevent any of the other bad moves despite senior positions in hockey operations).
Ya if that is truly the case then yes I am angry with them too. I just can't see them all be stupid enough to think giving up one of our few wingers with goals for a non-roster Brandon Manning was a good move.

Reactions: Aerrol

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It doesn't matter. Winnipeg isn't going to trade a cost controlled Ehlers. He is signed for a very fair $6 million for the next 6 years. He is a 45-50 points/year guy, which is about what a $6 million player is now-a-days. They are going to let other players go who are up for renewal this year LONG BEFORE they let Ehlers go.

Even if they let guys like Myers and Hayes walk, they still need to re-up Connor, Trouba and Laine, which will still be tight. Something's gotta give there.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That is why I like Benning now, the cost. We at OILERNATION have to stop using certain players for a hate board. I notice people like to complain about Nurse, Drai, and Nuge. I’m a big fan of Nurse. Does he makes mistakes? Yes. It’s all part of the process. I do think we have a dandy in Nurse

It's nothing to do with hating Benning, I actually like the player. But he's probably surplus as early as next season, and he likely has some value. Makes sense to parlay him for a forward.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That isn't a ridiculous argument actually. Manning was a tire-fire on the backend, and Caggs would have scored a few goals. It was likely a trade that cost 1-2 wins, that isn't an overstatement at all.

I don't know what's worse - that I agree with this completely, or that the team was left in such shambles that a trade as minor as Manning-Caggiula actually could have sewered our playoff hopes...

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I just can't see them all be stupid enough to think giving up one of our few wingers with goals for a non-roster Brandon Manning was a good move.

Just look at our playoff record. The oilers are run by morons, it's been the case for twenty years and could last a lot longer.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

I don't think Caggiula was bringing much at all when he was traded, but not having Manning is addition by subtraction. The fact he's signed into next for a non-negligible amount is mind-boggling.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
It's nothing to do with hating Benning, I actually like the player. But he's probably surplus as early as next season, and he likely has some value. Makes sense to parlay him for a forward.

According to some reports, a deal with Leafs for Brown almost went down and could be revisited

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The last place the Oilers need to "cut" is the defense. It's razor thin as it is...one important dman goes down and they are done again. They need more NHL players, not less in an effort to cut costs.

If the Oilers could package some extras with Russell (he is still a useful, fan/player favorite, kind of dman. A serviceable 4/5) and turn him in to a right side 2/3, then they could pick up a 5/6 in free agency or small trade and have a good defense that could make the playoffs and sustain an injury.

Still haven’t got a #1 dman . Hard to believe but in 2-3 years, we will have a surplus of defence

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Still haven’t got a #1 dman . Hard to believe but in 2-3 years, we will have a surplus of defence

And still have only three decent forwards. Doesn't matter how "serviceable" the d corps is, a team with this kind of forward depth is the furthest thing from a contender.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
According to some reports, a deal with Leafs for Brown almost went down and could be revisited

Yeah that's exactly the kind of deal I'd be looking at. That said, I have no problem trading this year's first rounder as part of a deal for a forward who is closer to the 50 point range than Brown.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
And still have only three decent forwards. Doesn't matter how "serviceable" the d corps is, a team with this kind of forward depth is the furthest thing from a contender.

Where did I say contender? Where did I say they shouldn't improve the forwards?

Think playoffs first, then contender.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

On the back end, The one to move would be Russell. I know he has less trade value, but his skill set would be the easier to replace/upgrade with a cheaper contract, versus moving out Sekera.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
NOW THAT'S MY FRIGGUN EDMONTON OILERS BOYS! FRIG WOO!!!

Despite all the adversity with the reffing, crap travel/schedule, bad coach, horrible GM, horrible trades and dabilatating injuries/illness this team has managed to be a measeley 5 points out with 6 games left. I still think we run the table and make the playoffs, but if not this is one of the highest point seasons we have had in the last 10+ years, wait'll we see next year when all that garbage from this season is removed and we are firing on all 8 cylinders!

#GOILERS
#BOILIEVE
We're going to win 7 of our last 6.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If you see Khaira “exploding” I have some Florida swamp land I mean real estate to sell you.
Khaira is a quality 4th liner who can from time to time play up the lineup.
Totally agreed. He's taken a step back this year, both in his play and his stats. Looks disinterested and unengaged. This player needs to harness his mean streak and start to impose his will. Seems a little neutered after taking that suspension. 4th line it is, until proven otherwise.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad