Double A and Marty Fever

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Marshall, Apr 26, 2020.

1. hb11xchamps Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I’d say Kempny is more of an abnormality for top pair dman and probably isn’t a top pair guy on the majority of teams. I agree that mobility is a key component of a top 4 dman and Fehervary has that in his game.
    He never really has put up a ton of points on any team he has been on. I personally believe he can add a lot more to his offensive game

2. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    uh. No. That is what the I wouldn't expect more than 20pts was about. Kempny is a 20pt player too

3. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    After 100 NHL games, sure. If Kempny can do that Fehervary can. Meanwhile Jensen is an offensive black hole.

Your comments about Kempny are correct. He is a 5 with a limited game player a 4 next to a 1. I am confident that Fehervary will be a legit defensive top 4 defenseman. If he can produce anything like Kempny offensively, will be a quality top 4

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    has he EVER been on a team with elite offensive talent like he would in DC?

so what’s your projection for him as an NHLer point-wise?

he’s a 10 pt a year guy? 20 doesn’t seem far fetched at all to me.....

5. hb11xchamps Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He’s also going to be playing against the best players on every team every single night if he’s a top pairing guy. Orlov has a much better offensive game and his best season was 33 points. Going off that, I’d say Fehervary could be a low to mid 20 point player IF he is running with the big boys most of his shifts. He’s not going to get any PP time in the NHL though which will definitely hurt his numbers.

Again, I think he’s going to be a very good NHL player. I just think people will be disappointed if they think he’s going to be this really solid two way dman like Orlov has developed in to. Fehervary’s game is built around his skating and his strong in zone play.

Which brings me back to my original point in this thread that AA has a much higher ceiling prospect wise based off of his track record, size, physicality and his shot. Obviously the injury concerns will stay with him for a bit but he hasn’t missed more than a few games this season playing against men.

6. Raikkonen Dumb guy

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Quickly getting to the show and 1st pair material are two kinda different levels.

7. Raikkonen Dumb guy

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If Fevers gets to the top-4 LD level where he can play with both top-4 RDs and hold the fort - it will be a success already. Adding 10 more points from 20 to 30 per season will make him even more valuable (and expensive). So Ive got nothing to complain about so far.

I guess the odds Fever actually gets there are bigger than that AA will outperform him any time soon. But if the latter manages to do that - well, jackpot!

8. Ridley Simon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finance
    Tangential — but I want to put Orlov w Carlson as the top pair. Dillon and Jensen/Kempny can be a good middle pair.

ok— back to topic at hand

9. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    thank you Sherlock!

10. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don’t think the coaching staff wants to gimp the 2nd pair by overloading the 1st.

11. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Orlov took a LONG time to develop the D side. Fever appears to be shoring up that first.

The offense may come, maybe not. Me, I’m fine if Fever is a 20 pt top-4 D who could develop more into his career.

Alzner scored 21 pts twice here....High teens several times more.

I believe in Fever.

12. hb11xchamps Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Fair enough. I'm just glad we're able to have some debate because this board has been super inactive lately!

Raikkonen and CapitalsCupReality like this.
  13. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    On one hand there hasn't been a lot to debate. This one is one of the few. This team is pretty solidly constructed and there arent a lot of questions. On the other hand I am doubtful that we will see hockey and the more I expect to the more likely I feel like disappointment is coming.

On subject, we have seen Fehervary play in the NHL. If the Caps needed him to, he could play now. You can see with any sort of development that he will be a good player at least. AA, meanwhile, we haven't seen as such he is in the show me category. I will believe it with him when I see it

14. Langway Thoughts & Prayers

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What have we really seen with Fehervary in the NHL, though? The skating is about it really. He got pushed around a bit in limited action so I don't know that three appearances per say make him an NHL lock. He'll be a player but how good remains to be seen. Jensen seems like a fair comparison based on current skill set but you'd really hope for more offense, stout physical play and consistency pushing into a top 3/4 type. Sekera has been my main moderate projection go-to but we'll see. Even if he's been largely focusing on defense, 14 points in 56 games (even aside from no PP role) doesn't suggest a player altogether above that level. The +/- is solid and the team around him doesn't score a ton either but I'm not sure he's really separated himself from Alexeyev. He had the advantage of playing against men already so there's an all-around maturity advantage but that won't matter much in a year or two if his game doesn't continue to progress.

hb11xchamps likes this.
  15. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think you’re being overly critical of a guy who was just getting his feet wet, by calling him out for getting pushed around. Hell we have full-time NHL players who take their share of getting pushed around.

Fever is NHL ready, held back only by a stacked roster. Sure he’ll have growing pains. I see him as a 3/4 who could play up with the right partner and who could develop into a very good player.

we’ll see....

16. hb11xchamps Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    FWIW he has played the PP this season but mainly PP2. PP1 has mainly been a rotation of Djoos, AA and now Nardella has taken that role over. PP2 most recently had both Fehervary and AA but that is probably more so due to Djoos' departure and Williams/Hobbs/LuJo being injured for long periods of time. If the season starts back up (unlikely), I'd guess LuJo gets the PP time since he has had PP time in each of his seasons in Hershey.

17. Ridley Simon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finance
    I think that’s a lazy comment good sir.

I’d like to see an extended look at 74-9. They could push each other to new heights (many many recent examples of teams putting their top 2 D-men together to Cup winning success), and absorb 25min each. Shortens the game.

You have Dillon playing like 21min. That leaves what....49min left for the bottom 3? 18/18/13.

why not? It’s worth actually discussing vs a “coaching” dismissal.

18. Ridley Simon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finance
    Fever is 20. He’s a defenseman (they usually take a little longer to percolate).

Fever is 20. He cannot legally drink in the US. Remember when that was you? (Some on here still can’t drink legally). I do. I had a lot to learn. A whole lot.

I’d say he’s still got a little time to improve.

CapitalsCupReality likes this.
  19. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    lazy? It’s true....or it would have already been done when Kempny was struggling.

I know you’ve been pimping a 9-74 top pair, but they don’t have the horses today to do that and be capable of winning a Cup IMO.

Is Dillon even going to be here? That’s a massive question in itself, much less him being the lead dog on the 2nd pair and replacing Orlov with no drop off.

have no issue with 9-74 in limited situations, but not for heavy minutes.

20. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    9-74 as a regular pair? No. Push each other to new of heights of what? The Caps use Orlov as a matchup shutdown defenseman. Carlson plays offensive opportunity minutes. If you pair them, they cant do both. Which assignment do they get moved off of? Who replaces them?

21. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    Fehervary gets pushed around. When Karl Alzner was 20 years old I sat behind the net in Raleigh for a Caps Canes preseason tilt. Eric Staal was running over the kid one shift after another. In a year or so that would stop entirely and Alzner would have the upper hand. I wouldnt judge Fehervary's grown up body based on a 20 year old rookie.

Jensen is 29 years old. Jensen has 278 NHL games and Fehervary has 6. I am neither a Jensen slammer nor a Fever boot licker. I think thats fairly well established. Comparing that kid to Jensen is off the mark

22. Langway Thoughts & Prayers

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The comparison with Jensen mainly revolves around skating as a central strength. There have been plenty of defensemen that jump into the league fairly earlier on that don't altogether pan out as top 4 types. Most of them in recent memory didn't due to inconsistency and hockey sense. I have hopes for Fehervary thanks to his sense/maturity but time will tell. His upside remains a bit of a mystery to me. He'll no doubt improve and has shown offensive flashes at times but aside from that skating I'm not sure his brief NHL duty suggested he was NHL-ready. Certainly it didn't from the standpoint of immediately thriving ala some other marquee rookie defenders...and that's fine. That's not my expectation level. My main point is I don't think that opportunity really distinguishes him and his path forward. He'll need to continue to develop just like their other fringe options.

23. hb11xchamps Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You continue to bring up the Jensen comparison. The only reason I brought up Jensen is because Fehervary's current game more so replicates what Jensen brings than what Orlov (who you compared him to) brings. Both Fehervary and Jensen's game rely on skating ability. Both play defense first and are solid penalty killers.

Orlov was physically ready to come to North America from day one. He has always had a very physical element to his game. He also always had above average offensive ability, something Fehervary doesn't possess yet.

So again, when comparing to current Caps defenseman on the current roster, Fehervary plays a lot more like Jensen than he does any other player. He has the potential to have a much better offensive game but it isn't there yet

24. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    Langway brought up Jensen. I responded to that. Ok?

25. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    I am pretty conservative on prospects as a rule and no less so here. Maybe is no better than Siegenthaler. He looks better than that to me but time will tell. I don't think he needs a dynamic offensive game to be better than Siegenthaler