Double A and Marty Fever

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Assuming they both continue developing, aren't derailed by injuries, and stay with the organization, what do you think Current Future Hall of Famer Marty Fever and Alex "Alex" Alexeyev's ceiling are?

(Example: If LuJo hadn't been wrecked by the injury bug, he looks like he could have been a top six, two-way dman. Siegenthaler looks like he could be a top six defensive dman. Etc.)

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Assuming they both continue developing, aren't derailed by injuries, and stay with the organization, what do you think Current Future Hall of Famer Marty Fever and Alex "Alex" Alexeyev's ceiling are?

(Example: If LuJo hadn't been wrecked by the injury bug, he looks like he could have been a top six, two-way dman. Siegenthaler looks like he could be a top six defensive dman. Etc.)

AA already have had quite a lot of injuries that have hurt him a little. He is still going strong. A lot of things has to go right for them to be Hall of Famers as you talk about. Both look more like two way defensemen with too little scoring to make Hall of fame. AA looked like he had a really strong scoring touch so he might find it bak if he stays injury free. If Fever becomes a legit top pairing two way defenceman I think that is his ceiling, but I don't think he will make the conversation as a top 5 defenceman in the league for several years which is what he would have to do to join a conversation to make the Hall. Still you never know suddenly one of them are one of the absolute best D-men in the league. If both make the top 4 with one of them a 1st pairing solid defenceman the Caps would have done really well with those picks.

At least the Caps are starting to get some solid young players to be excited about (AA, Fever, CMM, Protas). Together with Wilson, Vrana and Samsonov who still are quite young. The big question is how all the big contract will turn out as they get older. Carlson, Oshie, Backström and probably Ovi's new contract. At least a couple of those will probably be negative value in some years. Hopefully people here will remember all the good they have done for this franchise and not talk **** about them as a lot of fans does with their former star players when they are not good enough anymore.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
AA's ceiling is definitely higher. Bigger Dman with more offensive upside than Fever. Injury risk is a concern, but he hasn't missed significant time yet this season despite playing in arguably the toughest division in the AHL.

Fehervary is more defensive minded. My guess would be that the organization wants him to develop somewhat of an offensive game to truly reach top pairing potential

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fehervary is more defensive minded. My guess would be that the organization wants him to develop somewhat of an offensive game to truly reach top pairing potential

What is your definition of top pairing potential? Fehervary isn't going to be John Carlson. He needs only to be good enough at defense to support Carlson to be a quality top pair defenseman. His ceiling is far higher than Kempny as a for instance. He is more of an Alzner level player. In my definition Alzner was a top pairing player

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
What is your definition of top pairing potential? Fehervary isn't going to be John Carlson. He needs only to be good enough at defense to support Carlson to be a quality top pair defenseman. His ceiling is far higher than Kempny as a for instance. He is more of an Alzner level player. In my definition Alzner was a top pairing player
The game has changed. Top pairing Defenseman need an offensive element to their game these days.

Especially with the skating ability Fever has. That asset is underutilized with his current offensive game.

You literally used Orlov as an example for an ideal Fever projection... Orlov had elite offensive skill as a prospect. Fever is nowhere close.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The game has changed. Top pairing Defenseman need an offensive element to their game these days.

Especially with the skating ability Fever has. That asset is underutilized with his current offensive game.

You literally used Orlov as an example for an ideal Fever projection... Orlov had elite offensive skill as a prospect. Fever is nowhere close.

I did use Orlov as an example and he rarely uses his offensive skills. Rarely. Orlov does have elite offensive skills and on the right team would be a Carlson type player. On the Capitals he will show an occasional flash and that's it. Fever's skating puts him in a position to better support a Carlson type player. If an elite defender with his mobility he becomes an elite 1st pair defenseman.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fever: Top 4 all situations player. Orlov like. AA: No idea
AA is more like Orlov than Fever is. AA is big, can lay the body, solid shot, and has good 4 way mobility. He may not end up having the same offensive game as Orlov (although even Orlov has only broken double digit goals once), but stylistically he's closer than Fever is.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
AA is more like Orlov than Fever is. AA is big, can lay the body, solid shot, and has good 4 way mobility. He may not end up having the same offensive game as Orlov (although even Orlov has only broken double digit goals once), but stylistically he's closer than Fever is.

1. Orlov is listed at 5-11, 208. Fehervary is listed at 6-2 200. Fully developed I expect he will be bigger than Orlov. Orlov has a dynamic offensive game that he doesn't deploy and that is not part of his assignment. He is a defense first shut down defenseman. That is the kind of game I expect to see from the kid. Kempny and Jensen are 5s playing up the line up in the top 4. Fehervary will be a legit top 4. Frankly, that's enough. Carlson and a developed Fehervary will be a nice pair for a bit

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Imagine Carlson injured. Is that Fever guy top pair then? I doubt it.
Depends on if you’re asking him to be John Carlson, or himself at 27 minutes a night. I don’t think he has the tools to plug and play that role but expecting that would be bad coaching. Is there a style of play in which he could justify top pairing minutes? Possible.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m not saying he has to be John Carlson. What he needs to do is vastly improve his offensive game to elevate himself to top pairing potential. He already has the mobility and the defensive play to be a very good player at the NHL. Adding an offensive game will make him an elite player at the NHL level. He’s on pace for around 23 points at the AHL level if the AHL had a 82 game season. He just needs to be a little more comfortable with being able to jump into the play

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
For an adult player his passing doesn't look first pair and to be improved much to become first pair in the future. Thats a concern for me.

Orlov looked like legit offensive guy from the beginning. His defensive game took what? About decade to improve. Has Fever a chance to improve his offensive skills?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m not saying he has to be John Carlson. What he needs to do is vastly improve his offensive game to elevate himself to top pairing potential. He already has the mobility and the defensive play to be a very good player at the NHL. Adding an offensive game will make him an elite player at the NHL level. He’s on pace for around 23 points at the AHL level if the AHL had a 82 game season. He just needs to be a little more comfortable with being able to jump into the play

Definition of vastly improve? A little more comfortable I can see. Vastly improve I dont

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
For an adult player his passing doesn't look first pair and to be improved much to become first pair in the future. Thats a concern for me.

Orlov looked like legit offensive guy from the beginning. His defensive game took what? About decade to improve. Has Fever a chance to improve his offensive skills?

Much of defenseman play is predicated on experience. Reads and speed of decision making comes with having seen it repeatedly and experiencing the successes and failures of those decisions. The defense is harder to teach. So, I think he has a step up. His skating is as good as any offensive defenseman. As a defenseman who's offense is a secondary need, he has a great foundation

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Definition of vastly improve? A little more comfortable I can see. Vastly improve I dont
Agree to disagree then. His offensive game and numbers are average at best right now. He has the ability to be a more offensive minded player but chooses not to.

I’ve seen a lot of his game this year and his best comparable to a current Caps dman is Jensen not Orlov. He’ll be better than Jensen but his game is pretty similar

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agree to disagree then. His offensive game and numbers are average at best right now. He has the ability to be a more offensive minded player but chooses not to.

I’ve seen a lot of his game this year and his best comparable to a current Caps dman is Jensen not Orlov. He’ll be better than Jensen but his game is pretty similar

So you think MF is next thing to an offensive black hole then? You think that improvement to the 25-30pt range is a lot more than natural progression with experience?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I don’t see that Fever needs to vastly improve offensively to be able to play top pair ultimately. Is Kempny some offensive dynamo?

Elite mobility and defensive ability will make him a fine top-4\top-pair component (to start) with the right partner IMO. The increased offense is gravy IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: txpd

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I’d bet him focusing on shoring up his defensive game is his primary development goal, therefor the offense is sacrificed to some extent for now. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him eventually break out offensively later in his NHL career. I think anyone expecting it early is going to be disappointed other than flashes and killer wheels.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I’d bet him focusing on shoring up his defensive game is his primary development goal, therefor the offense is sacrificed to some extent for now. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him eventually break out offensively later in his NHL career. I think anyone expecting it early is going to be disappointed other than flashes and killer wheels.
Agree with your first point. Against NHLers that's mainly about getting stronger so that he can both hold his ground and properly box players out. Increased offense will be important and IMO that comes down to hockey sense and in some respects confidence. If he has the determination to continue to add to his game as he adapts then it'll come. I'm jut not sure it altogether will. At least from a shot standpoint Alexeyev has the advantage. Alexeyev's frame also gives him the shutdown advantage so it'll be important for MF to continue to add to his game to stay ahead of the player that IMO has the better raw tools.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
AA certainly has the size/shot advantage, but I’d take MF’s skating.

playing strong D is the quickest way to the NHL IMO and that’s what Fever has been directed to and is focusing on for now IMO to make that step as quickly as possible.

I could easily see a 30pt guy in Fever mid-career, then more later. We’ll see....role deployment will impact things heavily both in development path and production levels.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In John Carlson's 3rd season, he put up 24 even strength points in 82 games. If the kid is playing 20 mins a night next to Carlson, I would expect that 20 pts isn't a wild goal. I wouldn't expect more. I am just seeing the advantage the Caps have with an all situations LD that can skate PK1 over what they have now.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
In John Carlson's 3rd season, he put up 24 even strength points in 82 games. If the kid is playing 20 mins a night next to Carlson, I would expect that 20 pts isn't a wild goal. I wouldn't expect more. I am just seeing the advantage the Caps have with an all situations LD that can skate PK1 over what they have now.
Is this a joke?

Carlson, just like Orlov, was a prospect with elite offensive skill. You expect Fever to match that point production?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So you think MF is next thing to an offensive black hole then? You think that improvement to the 25-30pt range is a lot more than natural progression with experience?
Again you take what I said out of context. He’s on pace for 23ish points in the AHL. That doesn’t translate to the NHL. Do you really expect him to score that many points at the NHL level? If so, what are your comparables? Fever has never been an offensive dynamo on any team he’s played on.

Never said he’d be an offensive black hole. What I said is he’s most comparable to Jensen If we are comparing him to current Caps dman as opposed to your comparison to Orlov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad