News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm not sure what PD means about taking a big step this yr, when almost everyone is picking them to be dead last this season, other than doing more of the same. I expect him to continue to ship out the old guys or UFAs & develop the young guys to be good NHL players to replace the guys they are shipping out of town. I also think the team that starts the yr in Ottawa will certainly not finish the yr in Ottawa & there should be a number of prospects replace those who have left who have proven they deserve the jobs.

To start the 2019 - 2020 season:

Duclair - Anisimov - Ryan
Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Ennis - Teirny - C. Brown
Paul - Pageau - Boedker

Chabot - DeMello
Wolanin - Zaitzev
Boroweicki - Hainsey/Jaros

Anderson - Nilsson/Hogberg

To end the 2019 -2020 season:

Duclair - Anisimov - Ryan
Tkachuk - White - Davidsson
Paul - L. Brown - Batherson
Formenton - Tierny - C. Brown

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Jaros
Englund - Goloubef/Lajoie

Nilsson - Hogberg/Gustavsson

I don't disagree this could very well happen or something close to it. What it does though is deplete Belleville down their stretch. At this point, 0 games in, they look like they could contend in the AHL on paper. If they look like a top 4 team in the AHL .. do we strip their best players and watch them sink closing out the year?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I don't disagree this could very well happen or something close to it. What it does though is deplete Belleville down their stretch. At this point, 0 games in, they look like they could contend in the AHL on paper. If they look like a top 4 team in the AHL .. do we strip their best players and watch them sink closing out the year?
Don't worry, sens can send them back once we're eliminated

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don't worry, sens can send them back once we're eliminated

TDL last year was Feb 25. Sens were mathematically eliminated March 9.
TDL this year (2020) is Feb 24 .. When do you think they will be eliminated .. And why is being eliminated the milestone?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
TDL last year was Feb 25. Sens were mathematically eliminated March 9.
TDL this year (2020) is Feb 24 .. When do you think they will be eliminated .. And why is being eliminated the milestone?
It's not really but I figure we'll be out of it by the TDL. There is a date that I'm too lazy to look up when we can add them to the roster for assignment and that's likely what we do

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's not really but I figure we'll be out of it by the TDL. There is a date that I'm too lazy to look up when we can add them to the roster for assignment and that's likely what we do
Yah I know about that cut off date but .. I guess what I am saying .. as I said last year, is to keep the guys in Belleville to give them a chance to succeed there . Bring them up here and there for a cup of coffee but leave them there down the stretch if they have a chance of winning anything there imo

Reactions: aragorn

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I really, REALLY want to believe he's only saying this to placate Sens fans while still understanding that getting a top-3 pick in 2020 is vital to the team's future success.

Alas, I know he's just an overly confident moron who would be perfectly fine with finishing 9th in the east.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The pre-season hasn't even started. How do we already look like the latter, before a game has been played?

On paper, looking at the core players, the roster, and listening to the new coach talk about his vision and the team.

In the end, you either see the possibilities and are thus looking forward to watching the team grow, or you’re not.

I’m not looking to convince you of anything Dave, you have your own views in the current team, no doubt. This is simply mine.

Either way, we’ll all see how it unfolds.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Ugh, I accidentally googled Pierre Dorion looking for information on Hurricane Dorian and at the same time a picture of his face popped up, which always reminds me of this movie scene:

Except for the nailing it part. That will have to be determined in 2-3 years time. 80s Billy Joel > the current Sens roster easily. No matter how much Pierre spouts his lip smacking BS, we are definitely a weaker roster today than the start of the year last year.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
At least there's a reason to watch with their 1st round pick in tow this time. Last year was pointless.
Unless it was punishment. Then in that case, it accomplished plenty. I have visions of Melnyk sitting back and thinking 'you messed with the bull Ottawa fans, you messed with the bull'...

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I kind of think we'll surprise to the upside this year but have the lottery fall in our favour and we move up a few spots. We need to catch a break.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’m not going to lie... Logan Brown has me excited for the Sens... the shape he’s in.

In my head the kid has Alexei Yashin potential

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think the team will be virtually out of the playoffs by 31 December.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Maybe to the first, no way to the latter.

Anderson will come down with an LTIR injury if anything. No way he walks away from any money on his last "big" money contract.

They will put him out there in a rocking chair at this point.

I'm sure he's looking forward to the mountain of rubber that's coming his way this year. Must remind him of his early days in Colorado.
We need Anderson if we want a chance at 1OA draft pick

Reactions: Tuna99

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the team will be virtually out of the playoffs by 31 December.

Nah. Extremely young teams have a habit of roaring out of the gate and looking good for the first month or so, while veteran teams understand this is a marathon, not a sprint.

We'll look surprisingly decent early on, but the wheels will fall off after xmas.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Be interesting to see what happens with the C position. Brown and Norris will be ready by the TDL for NHL hockey - my guess is they trade Tierney and Pageau.

Pageau is a tough one because he’s a local boy and fan favourite - but as the NHL gets bigger he’s going to find it tough to stick around. And he doesn’t seem to fit what Ottawa is going for - Big Centers, excellent skating D

Reactions: Kegu

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nah. Extremely young teams have a habit of roaring out of the gate and looking good for the first month or so, while veteran teams understand this is a marathon, not a sprint.

We'll look surprisingly decent early on, but the wheels will fall off after xmas.

We shall track the results and see who has a better crystal ball. :)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We shall track the results and see who has a better crystal ball. :)

You may be right. We might be bad enough to be at the bottom even with a bunch of excited kids playing gangbusters.

Either way, I do believe the result at the end of the season will be the same...last (or very close to it).

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Be interesting to see what happens with the C position. Brown and Norris will be ready by the TDL for NHL hockey - my guess is they trade Tierney and Pageau.

Pageau is a tough one because he’s a local boy and fan favourite - but as the NHL gets bigger he’s going to find it tough to stick around. And he doesn’t seem to fit what Ottawa is going for - Big Centers, excellent skating D

Wait, what year is it? Pager is solid and would have a roster spot on any team in this league.

Reactions: OD99 and Rand0m

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think we should or would trade JPG. He is exactly the type of player that this team has been drafting and putting together.

Relentless, gritty, hardworking, team first guys, that’s the core identity that is being put together. Pager is the very definition of that.

He’s also an excellent defensive player and would be perfect in a shutdown 3c role, better option than white on a checking line.

There is room for him on the team, and it’s a really good look for across the river I’d wager.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Pierre should be barred from going near any microphones or journalists. If this is part of his regular job description, well...
He is f***ing unbelievable in front of a microphone eh. Its become comical as a Sens fan who has lost a lot of respect for the team, but if I was his boss he would of been fired so long ago just for making the team look like a joke so often.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I don’t think we should or would trade JPG. He is exactly the type of player that this team has been drafting and putting together.

Relentless, gritty, hardworking, team first guys, that’s the core identity that is being put together. Pager is the very definition of that.

He’s also an excellent defensive player and would be perfect in a shutdown 3c role, better option than white on a checking line.

There is room for him on the team, and it’s a really good look for across the river I’d wager.
He’d be perfect to extend on a 4 year contract and be made captain. But he needs a new contract. He’s good as gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad