News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
You can still be worried about ticket sales, while also not wanting to spend to the cap to fix the problem.

What team has done what we did, and risked keeping two superstars in Duchene/Stone UNSIGNED for almost an entire season when they weren't contenders? Either player could have gone down with an injury, and we could have lost them for nothing.

I am not saying Melnyk is rational. I am saying I think that he doesn't want last place finishes. Whether he is giving the team enough to work with to avoid them is a different story. Paraphrasing, Melnyk has come out and said Dorion has this year to get it together. That would imply that something isn't going right. Not only that, after preaching patience for the better part of a year, Dorion out of nowhere has come out and presented this team as one that is going to compete for a playoff spot this season. That's after we've lost all of our superstars. Where did that mandate come from?

All I am saying is, rational or not, I think ownership is not on board with basement finishes and low ticket sales. Dorion is going to get canned at the end of the season if we don't contend for a playoff spot.

If Melnyk expects increased ticket sales and playoff contention despite the last two seasons and spending an unprecedentedly low amount on player salaries this season, the man is far crazier than I had previously thought.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Publicly stating this team will be better and contend for the playoffs is a terrible marketing move when on paper the chances of that happening are very low.

Maybe it will get a few casual fans and hardcore homer fans pumped and sell a few extra tickets, but what is the result going to be when we finish last place and get blown out every night like what happened to close the season? They are setting the expectations too high, which will leave their most passionate fans disappointed, and risk driving them more of them off forever. It makes no sense.

It would make more sense to set REALISTIC expectations and try to sell people on seeing the progression of Chabot/White/Tkachuk and all the other prospects. Sell the team on the idea that we might not win, but if you go to the game you're part of something special, you're participating in seeing the early career of guys who will be the next wave of superstars for the Senators. At least that's something they can honestly sell people on (assuming we extend Chabot, lol).

I think their entire marketing platform is to say we're going to be better so it gets blared out on CTV News/The Ottawa Sun to the casual fan base, and hope that enough people who don't follow the team closely believe it and buy a few extra tickets this season because of it.

Bingo, the marketing is so short sighted. All of this has been.

That was incredible, even for Dorion.

He actually said that?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Bingo, the marketing is so short sighted. All of this has been.

He actually said that?
Yeah, mentioned how many assists Tierny had compared to Stone after the trade. Can’t remember if it was the Stone trade press conference or another one shortly after.

Guessing it was the Stone trade presser, as it’s from a Feb 25th interview/conference.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
"vastly improved", "big step forward", "five years of unprecedented success"!

I cannot handle all of this optimism.

Reactions: Slack

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Is it possible to be worse than we were with them? We were so bad it was disgusting, maybe an infusion of youth, speed and desire will be refreshing.
I think the key this year is Smith and is coaching staff. Last year Montreal bring Ducharme and change the dynamic of the team. I don t expect a battle for the playoff but in the 80 point

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Is it possible to be worse than we were with them? We were so bad it was disgusting, maybe an infusion of youth, speed and desire will be refreshing.

Solidifying the goaltending will go a long way. It was brutal before Nilsson was brought in. If Nilsson can play like he did for the Sens last season, the Sens could move up the standings. I suspect Anderson will retire before the end of the season.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

The defense and goaltending may be better but the offense will suffer without the two PPG stars at the top. At the end of the day, it's a roster with less high-end talent than last year and is one that is being rightfully predicted to be bottom three in the league.

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

There’s not going to be much of a youth infusion, at least not this year.

Look at how the lineup is shaping up. We’re probably not going to see Brown, Brannstrom, Norris, Formenton, etc.

We’re going to see Anisimov, Zaitsev, Hainsey and Ennis. Not much youth or speed there. Just a bunch of guys hanging on.

The young guys on the team this year will be the same ones we had last year. Except probably Batherson, but he’s not turning this ship around himself.

Reactions: Cosmix

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Look at how the lineup is shaping up. We’re probably not going to see Brown, Brannstrom, Norris, Formenton, etc.

We’re going to see Anisimov, Zaitsev, Hainsey and Ennis. Not much youth or speed there. Just a bunch of guys hanging on.

The young guys on the team this year will be the same ones we had last year. Except probably Batherson, but he’s not turning this ship around himself.

You're gonna see a full year of Duclair - someone who unfortunately will have character issues plaguing him forever, but who has amazing speed and good hands too. As you mentioned, Batherson. Then I think and hope Brown will get the call in December or so, same with Brannstrom and Abramov etc. as injuries begin to pile up, then the Sens can really take a look at what they have.

It's not like we're playoff bound (lol), but anytime there's a big infusion of youth (or the potential throughout the year), there's usually good things to watch for. Plus, Boucher had really worn out his welcome, so hopefully we see some structure in the coaching.

Last year was such a shit show it's sad (until after the deadline anyway), let's hope it's not pathetic like that.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You're gonna see a full year of Duclair - someone who unfortunately will have character issues plaguing him forever, but who has amazing speed and good hands too. As you mentioned, Batherson. Then I think and hope Brown will get the call in December or so, same with Brannstrom and Abramov etc. as injuries begin to pile up, then the Sens can really take a look at what they have.

It's not like we're playoff bound (lol), but anytime there's a big infusion of youth (or the potential throughout the year), there's usually good things to watch for. Plus, Boucher had really worn out his welcome, so hopefully we see some structure in the coaching.

Last year was such a **** show it's sad (until after the deadline anyway), let's hope it's not pathetic like that.

Is Duclair better than Dzingel, a fast, streaky winger?
Is Batherson going to be a better heart-and-soul player than Stone, in his first year?
Will Brown be as motivated as Duchene was, heading into UFA?

Probably not.

This was the same line everyone was trumpeting in training camp last year. "The cancer Karlsson is gone! Hoffman is out! The locker room is fixed and the infusion of youth (Tkachuk, White, Chabot, Jaros, Lajoie, Balcers, etc) will mean we're a fast, hardworking team that hangs out together and the results will be better!"

What ended happening?

Pinning your hopes on "youthful energy" is a recipe for disappointment. We might get off to an okay start (like we did last season), but when the dog days of December, January and February hit, and you're going up against Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Washington, etc night in and night out, things come crashing back down to earth real fast.

The thing with this year, though, is that we lost even more established talent than we did heading into last season. So things are likely to be even worse. When you look at the standings, we will be pathetic.

And that's okay. A top 3 pick is way more important than finishing 25th.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Is Batherson going to be a better heart-and-soul player than Stone, in his first year?

Probably not.

This was the same line everyone was trumpeting in training camp last year. "The cancer Karlsson is gone! Hoffman is out! The locker room is fixed and the infusion of youth (Tkachuk, White, Chabot, Jaros, Lajoie, Balcers, etc) will mean we're a fast, hardworking team that hangs out together and the results will be better!"

What ended happening?

Pinning your hopes on "youthful energy" is a recipe for disappointment. We might get off to an okay start (like we did last season), but when the dog days of December, January and February hit, and you're going up against Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Washington, etc night in and night out, things come crashing back down to earth real fast.

The thing with this year, though, is that we lost even more established talent than we did heading into last season. So things are likely to be even worse. When you look at the standings, we will be pathetic.

I think it'll be more fun to watch, but yes, we're gonna get obliterated in the dog days. My initial point was it was painful to watch WITH Stone and Duchene, so this time, at least let the youth make it fun to watch please. Stone and Duchene are irreplaceable right now, we'll suffer for sure, but again, please let it be more fun to watch than the season-long funeral atmosphere it was last season.

Dzingel is nothing to me personally, I think Duclair can replace his output - maybe not easily, but I think he can during the course of an 82 game sched.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Probably not.

What ended happening?

Who said this? I don't remember anyone saying this maybe 1 or 2 posters

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am not about to get upset over his comments. I will wait to see how things turn out before passing judgement, but of course, he is being quite ambitious. I can live with that. I would like to be a lottery pick

Reactions: Sensators

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Basically just change up the dates and Stars heading out of Ottawa and it's been the same article and quotes for 3 years now. Who would have thought a last place GM and last place owner would be responsible for another last place team, it's fitting and looks great on these guys and for the first time will be welcomed with open arms!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I mean Ben solved this interview issue three posts in, but his post seems to have been ignored by everyone that came after.

The big and positive changes to personnel was in reference to the entirely replaced coaching staff. No need for lists of players in and out followed by ridicule.

This snippet shows the interview to mostly be a piece where the GM comes out into the media and pumps tires for a player on the team to show that the team has faith in him. Brown just got a nice big vote of confidence, to help boost his confidence, in the media. Not much more to see there in regards to players.

The change in systems and development implemented by the brand new coaching staff could indeed have a very positive effect on the team, and we could see a much improved team on the ice. I mean, I for one am excited to see what this staff can do with all of the new and recent kids, along with the handful of new players brought in that he knows well.

Think about it, much improved doesn’t have to mean that we’re fighting for a wildcard, more reasonably it could manifest itself in more stable goaltending, and a defensive system that works for this young team.

I think perhaps hate is clouding vision here. When you look and listen to these kinds of things without a bunch predetermined anger (stupid smirking face, lip smacking, stumbling public speaking manner, over-exuberance towards his players and prospects, and whatever else people are throwing around) you can see that this is a pretty basic go key interview, nothing controversial at all, with a bit of excitement and support thrown in for a new staff and a new player who needs a boost.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

Let them learn to win as a team inBelleville. Next year (or after TDL) flow them in. Contend for a Calder this year. Batherson, Tkachuk, Chabot will keep the place warm. Let the others (Duclair, Anisimov, Brown, etc) show what they have

Reactions: coladin

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Let them learn to win as a team inBelleville. Next year (or after TDL) flow them in. Contend for a Calder this year. Batherson, Tkachuk, Chabot will keep the place warm. Let the others (Duclair, Anisimov, Brown, etc) show what they have

The logical way of going about the season. However you will get many arguments that its not the way to do it. Even with the information people have about how many players are on one way deals and fully knowing how cheap the owner is. Some posters seem to think that all these young players will be playing all season long whether they are ready or not. I dont have alot of faith in management, however given these basic facts it seems clear to me Belleville will be a good team this year and alot of the youth that people want to see up here pre maturely will actually have time to develop. This is the biggest positive I see going into this season.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

They didn't make the playoffs last season. I don't anticipate them contending for a championship.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
But I always believed that when Gms say that they are better then last season, they compare to the lineup when they finish vs the new one instead of start of the season vs start of the season.

If we compare the lineup that we finish with vs the one we might have, it's not so out of touch to believe it is a better lineup.
Not vastly improve thought. I'm thrilled to see if player like Tkachuk, White and Chabot can take the next step in the development.

Last edited by a moderator:

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
They lost 40% of the last 20 games of the season by 3 goals or more.

This could go off the rails quickly, since Leaf scraps were the only offseason add, although losing Ceci helps.

I think a best case scenario is that a defensive system in initiated and keeps them in many games, so people can at least watch for 60 minutes with some hope. If the defense remains poor, I see other teams looking to blitzkrieg them in the first, and then coast to many 4-1 and 5-1 wins, in unwatchable games.

Teams will rev up for their stops in Montreal or Toronto on the way in, and look to have dull easy wins in the CTC. I hope I am wrong.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
They lost 40% of the last 20 games of the season by 3 goals or more.

This could go off the rails quickly, since Leaf scraps were the only offseason add, although losing Ceci helps.

I think a best case scenario is that a defensive system in initiated and keeps them in many games, so people can at least watch for 60 minutes with some hope. If the defense remains poor, I see other teams looking to blitzkrieg them in the first, and then coast to many 4-1 and 5-1 wins, in unwatchable games.

Teams will rev up for their stops in Montreal or Toronto on the way in, and look to have dull easy wins in the CTC. I hope I am wrong.

Last season we scored 242 goals. Stone, Duchene and Dzingel combined for 77 of those (32%) of those, and has not been replaced. Even if you project big improvement from some of our young guys, you won't make up for that loss.

Let's look at what we can expect, on the high-end if every single thing goes perfectly (goals in brackets):

Tkachuk (30) - White (20) - Duclair (20)
C.Brown (15) - Tierney (15) - Batherson (20)
Balcers (15) - Anisimov (15) - Ryan (15)
Ennis (8) - Pageau (12) - Boedker (8)
Others: (10)

Chabot (15) - Demelo (4)
Wolanin (8) - Zaitsev (5)
Hainsey (3) - Jaros (3)
Others: (5)

Total goals: 246 goals

That would make us a middle of the pack team, if the stars align.

What's more realistic:

Tkachuk (25) - White (20) - Duclair (15)
C.Brown (12) - Tierney (12) - Batherson (20)
Balcers (10) - Anisimov (12) - Ryan (15)
Ennis (8) - Pageau (10) - Boedker (5)
Others: (10)

Chabot (15) - Demelo (4)
Wolanin (5) - Zaitsev (5)
Hainsey (3) - Jaros (3)
Others: (5)

Total: 214 goals

That's a bottom 5 offensive team.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
When Babcock was brought in by Shanahan they were very up front about "pain coming" or whatever the line was, and that things would get worse for the Leafs before they got better - but they would get better. In other words you can be optimistic about the future while being honest with yourself and the fan base at the same time.

A tough couple of years doesn't mean the "rebuild" can't work and there isn't reasons to be optimistic. But no, instead Dorion predictably acts like a buffoon and tries to make us believe that a team stripped of its best players and replaced by plugs is going to be better. And even if it was better does it matter? Our "rebuild" is sorely lacking in high-end talent, something a couple of years of lottery picks will hopefully help address.

Here's a tip Dorion: wipe the shit eating grin off of your face, look us in the eye and be serious about the situation we're in and the plan going forward. You have pretty much zero credibility left, but maybe that can preserve what little remains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad