News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He just can't find a way to say. We are rebuilding. What's most important here is player development and that we improve as a team.

I'm sure the sales people or Melnyk or whoever doesn't want to entertain any notion that the team can't make the playoffs.

Jay on Sportscentre basically said (paraphrasing), "Just say yes. Absolutely. It's your team, everyone expects you to say that."

Clearly he was struggling with processing all of this in real-time with a microphone in his face.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm sure the sales people or Melnyk or whoever doesn't want to entertain any notion that the team can't make the playoffs.

Jay on Sportscentre basically said (paraphrasing), "Just say yes. Absolutely. It's your team, everyone expects you to say that."

Clearly he was struggling with processing all of this in real-time with a microphone in his face.
He has struggled mightily in the past when going off the cuff.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I assume everyone has seen the recent interview where his brain shuts off for about 5 seconds as he once again is asked if the team is competitive.
He also exhibited so many body language tells that he was lying when asked about the Chabot extension. Someone who is good in front of the media would do this team wonders.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
He's such a great assistant GM. ;)
I'm not going to get into his competency as a GM and I know you're joking, however, he is not good in front of the media. It is what is. It would be nice if he was but it wouldn't be a requirement if we just hired someone to deal with that side of things like a POHO. Sigh.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm sure Seattle will be running to take on the $13+ million left on Zaitsev's deal when they could just as easily take one of Abramov, Chlapik, Balcers, Lajoie, Hogberg/Gustavsson, ect instead.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion has done a good job this summer - Coach DJ and the staff, positivity with the prospect ts, solid draft, solid FA day, calm in Sens land.

This was like a PK summer for him, as long as you don’t get scored on it’s a solid PK.

Now he has to build this thing. The base is set, keep adding and get a goalie (after the 2020 draft) and his team could do Something...huge.

I like the pieces on this team so far. Still need a #1 C and an lite winger, but it’s getting there

Reactions: swiftwin

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Dorion has done a good job this summer - Coach DJ and the staff, positivity with the prospect ts, solid draft, solid FA day, calm in Sens land.

This was like a PK summer for him, as long as you don’t get scored on it’s a solid PK.

Now he has to build this thing. The base is set, keep adding and get a goalie (after the 2020 draft) and his team could do Something...huge.

I like the pieces on this team so far. Still need a #1 C and an lite winger, but it’s getting there

Yeah, I'm not too enthused with DJ as a coach or his choices as assistant coaches, but I'll give him some slack for now.

Solid draft? Really? I was not too impressed with the draft to be honest, and I wasn't the only one. I guess time will tell.

Solid FA day? I guess, but not sure I would consider that solid. More like bottom scraping than solid. But I guess that's expected with the way the Sens is org right now.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

A goalie?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I'm not too enthused with DJ as a coach or his choices as assistant coaches, but I'll give him some slack for now.

Solid draft? Really? I was not too impressed with the draft to be honest, and I wasn't the only one. I guess time will tell.

Solid FA day? I guess, but not sure I would consider that solid. More like bottom scraping than solid. But I guess that's expected with the way the Sens is org right now.

I liked the FA day in the sense they picked up a veteran or two they can flip at the deadline even for late picks - I’ll take Troy Mann with extra picks over almost anyone on draft day.

Draft to me was solid. Trading EK is and #2 on the depth chart is Ceci is how people get fired. Having Bernard-Docker and Thomson mixing in Jaros / De Melo and some of the prospects that like to play RD and that’s looking solid. The D overall with Wolanin and Bransstrom and already having a top 2 NHL Dman in Chabot is exciting.

I like Soggard pick a lot, and if Pinto is just a big solid guy who helps with your identity then that’s fine. I don’t remember every St Louis Blue forward but they were all big and willing to play to win, that identity never left them because it was solid 1-12.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not going to get into his competency as a GM and I know you're joking, however, he is not good in front of the media. It is what is. It would be nice if he was but it wouldn't be a requirement if we just hired someone to deal with that side of things like a POHO. Sigh.
It be nicer if . . .

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Clever, but you're the one who made the claim he wanted to stay. Onus is on you to provide some kind of proof to back it up.

Read my post, I said "I believe he wants to stay in Ottawa".....that's my opinion ...... not a statement of fact as you seem to believe.

Chabot has never given any indication that he wants out of Ottawa ....... but you seem to be in the camp that he does want out ...... so the onus is on you to "back it up".

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Read my post, I said "I believe he wants to stay in Ottawa".....that's my opinion ...... not a statement of fact as you seem to believe.

Chabot has never given any indication that he wants out of Ottawa ....... but you seem to be in the camp that he does want out ...... so the onus is on you to "back it up".

I don't think he wants out. He's the star of the show close to home, there's a lot to like about this market for him at this point in his career. I just think there's a couple factors at play that could lead to an offer sheet next off-season, one that Eugene (maybe) won't be able to match. I don't trust that he has that kind of money, and even if he did he wouldn't be investing it in team he's spending historically low levels on in relations to the cap floor (post lockout anyways).

I also think the RFA storm brewing will lead to a handful of teams having to either trade guys away or lose them to OS. The Senators seem like an obvious target for the reasons stated above.

To make it very clear, I think Chabot likes the idea of maximizing his deal just as much as he likes the idea of staying in Ottawa. I also believe that teams will be lining up to sign him on July 1st if the Senators can't/don't re-sign him by then and that there's at least a possibility the Sens don't match the contract for AAV, compensation, bonus relsted reasons.

If/when the team signs Chabot, it will go a long way in bringing me back to rabid (paying) fan.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I liked the FA day in the sense they picked up a veteran or two they can flip at the deadline even for late picks - I’ll take Troy Mann with extra picks over almost anyone on draft day.

Draft to me was solid. Trading EK is and #2 on the depth chart is Ceci is how people get fired. Having Bernard-Docker and Thomson mixing in Jaros / De Melo and some of the prospects that like to play RD and that’s looking solid. The D overall with Wolanin and Bransstrom and already having a top 2 NHL Dman in Chabot is exciting.

I like Soggard pick a lot, and if Pinto is just a big solid guy who helps with your identity then that’s fine. I don’t remember every St Louis Blue forward but they were all big and willing to play to win, that identity never left them because it was solid 1-12.

Yeah, the draft was faaar from solid. Both guys you mentioned will have a hard time making the bigs, and if they do it will be of the backup and 4th variety. That's not solid.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, the draft was faaar from solid. Both guys you mentioned will have a hard time making the bigs, and if they do it will be of the backup and 4th variety. That's not solid.

We’ll have to wait and see. My guess in Pinton is a Mike Fisher type - elite 3rd line and could do 2nd line duty.

Sogaard is just like. Goalies always tough, but he’s our best prospect

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It seems as if most players don't want to leave their first team.

It's pretty natural - they don't have any basis for comparison and they are treated so much better than they are in Junior or overseas, even if it might fall short of other NHL teams.

However, once they do, it's seems to be much easier for them to keep moving on.

Reactions: Variable26

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We’ll have to wait and see. My guess in Pinton is a Mike Fisher type - elite 3rd line and could do 2nd line duty.

Sogaard is just like. Goalies always tough, but he’s our best prospect

Yeah, I don't see Pinto as a Fisher type. I see him as a Derek Grant type. But as you said, we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad