News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Wonder if there's a chance Dorion is canned if the team finishes bottom 5

This has been my thought process too. With all PR Dorion's talk about "being better" and "fighting for a playoff spot" and Melnyk going out of his way to mention management needing to pick it up/figure it out (I'm paraphrasing here) it definitely seems like a possibility. EM never struck me as a particularly patient man, which I'm sure plays into my perception as well.

Luckily (I guess...) I think this team is bad enough on paper that they'll have a hard time moving out of the bottom-five regardless of the kids improvement and the inevitable new coach bump in play.

On the one hand, if we end the season with a guaranteed top-four pick and Dorion gets canned that's not a terrible situation to be in.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
This has been my thought process too. With all PR Dorion's talk about "being better" and "fighting for a playoff spot" and Melnyk going out of his way to mention management needing to pick it up/figure it out (I'm paraphrasing here) it definitely seems like a possibility. EM never struck me as a particularly patient man, which I'm sure plays into my perception as well.

Luckily (I guess...) I think this team is bad enough on paper that they'll have a hard time moving out of the bottom-five regardless of the kids improvement and the inevitable new coach bump in play.

On the one hand, if we end the season with a guaranteed top-four pick and Dorion gets canned that's not a terrible situation to be in.
Don t know why people want Dorion canned . Now that he clear the team of Murray, I want to see him how he manege the cap

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don t know why people want Dorion canned . Now that he clear the team of Murray, I want to see him how he manege the cap
I think his poor cap management was the main reason they had to rebuild in the first place. A support core at 30 or so million that brought little of anything.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think his poor cap management was the main reason they had to rebuild in the first place. A support core at 30 or so million that brought little of anything.
Ok find but when he come in place, he try to win with this core but have no young depth at Belleville. Now will see and he learn from is mistake

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ok find but when he come in place, he try to win with this core but have no young depth at Belleville. Now will see and he learn from is mistake
I think he made a lot of questionable decisions that had dire consequences pretty much from the moment he was hired. You are right, we will see if he's learned from it. The White contract gives me some hope, taking on Zaitsev long term makes me concerned he has not.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think he made a lot of questionable decisions that had dire consequences pretty much from the moment he was hired. You are right, we will see if he's learned from it. The White contract gives me some hope, taking on Zaitsev long term makes me concerned he has not.
I prefer Zaitsev than Ceci . He want to give the same to Ceci. For sure i would prefer a better rd but I prefer he keep the money for signing young coming

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I prefer Zaitsev than Ceci . He want to give the same to Ceci. For sure i would prefer a better rd but I prefer he keep the money for signing young coming

That's just another indictment honestly.

Guy took a flawed but talented team and turned them into a back to back last place team. Not everything that transpired here in the last couple seasons is his fault, but he's the guy that made a ton of the decision that led to this point and is ultimately the guy that has to fall on the sword now (or in a year).

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
That's just another indictment honestly.

Guy took a flawed but talented team and turned them into a back to back last place team. Not everything that transpired here in the last couple seasons is his fault, but he's the guy that made a ton of the decision that led to this point and is ultimately the guy that has to fall on the sword now (or in a year).
And after the next gm pass for a genius after the hard work was made. Cool

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It could just be that Dorion excels at one part of his job and not another. He may learn from his mistakes as you've said and it's better than being bad at both sides as some GM's are.

I trust him in identifying young talent, but not at the pro level with trades and signings from what I've seen so far.

I agree with the above as well. If he was willing to pay Ceci long term, that just re-enforces his inability to properly assess mature nhl players.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Some GM's are good at stocking the cupboard, some are good at taking the stocked cupboard and turning it into a contender.

I guess Pierre will be around long enough so we'll get to find out what he can turn a stocked cupboard into, but his track record in deals where he's the "buyer" is not good at all right now.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
It could just be that Dorion excels at one part of his job and not another. He may learn from his mistakes as you've said and it's better than being bad at both sides as some GM's are.

I trust him in identifying young talent, but not at the pro level with trades and signings from what I've seen so far.

I agree with the above as well. If he was willing to pay Ceci long term, that just re-enforces his inability to properly assess mature nhl players.
I agreed he is not perfect and he have lot gm make mistake. I think help by bringning another agm or a poho was a good thing to do in future

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agreed he is not perfect and he have lot gm make mistake. I think help by bringning another agm or a poho was a good thing to do in future
I worry he's bad enough at that side of the job that he will ruin this thing before it's even off the ground, but we will see. If he does it again, I think it's only fair to fire him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Pierre LeBrun - on some TSN preview show last night that I just happened to surf through - predicts Zaitsev as a bounce back candidate in a new organization. Hope he is right. I am intrigued to see how he performs beside Chabot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pierre LeBrun - on some TSN preview show last night that I just happened to surf through - predicts Zaitsev as a bounce back candidate in a new organization. Hope he is right. I am intrigued to see how he performs beside Chabot.

Demelo went from being a throw in and a player that San Jose wasnt going to qualify to a legit NHL d man. I am sure Zaitsev will get the same bump too. However it makes no sense to put Zaitsev there over Demelo, Demelo is a UFA to be they are 100 percent going to be trading him and they know he works well with Chabot. Why not keep him there and maximize the asset. Makes way too much sense for this organization.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would be fantastic. If he could return to his rookie season we will be very pleased. Either of the past 2 seasons we will not be.

Would be extremely strange to have a capable middle pairing guy after rotating through Ceci, Phaneuf, Wideman, Boro, etc in that role the past 5 seasons.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You believe Chabot wants to stay in Ottawa???
Can you prove it with facts?

You have no idea what he wants

You believe Chabot wants out of Ottawa???
Can you prove it with facts?

You have no idea what he wants

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I assume everyone has seen the recent interview where his brain shuts off for about 5 seconds as he once again is asked if the team is competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad