News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Chabot, a "superstar" ? Really?

Yes, he's a young rising star and has future superstar written all over him ......... but he's not there yet.

Yes, he's going to be a better player, in the long run, than Colin White.

Just don't understand how so many people assume there will an avalanche of Offer Sheets coming Chabot's way the second he's eligible to receive them ......... while Offer Sheets are still few and far between .............. look at the current crop of RFA's that are still unsigned ........ and as of today they are better NHLers than Chabot is, and will be a year from now ....... and none of them have received a single Offer sheet, other than Aho, who received a half-assed Offer Sheet that was quickly matched.

IF Chabot chooses to sign an offer sheet, he knows it will be matched by the Senators .......... so he would most likley not want to stir the pot, and work out a deal that is palatable to both sides, rather than signing one in the first place.

Much ado about nothing.

Does he really? Do we even know if Eugene has the financial wherewithal to match an offer sheet that pays out $20+ million in signing bonuses in the first year? Can you please text him and ask him if has the cheese to do that?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The thing is to sign him before the 1 july. I m pretty sure it s gonna happen

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I expect Chabot's next deal to be between 8-9 mil AAV for 5 years. Whether it's offered by the Senators or not.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It seems like the only modesty that comes from these two is when they assure us that other teams can "outgun us" and offer our star players 5x the contacts we can.

Other than that, everything is great, no questions asked!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chabot, a "superstar" ? Really?

Yes, he's a young rising star and has future superstar written all over him ......... but he's not there yet.

Yes, he's going to be a better player, in the long run, than Colin White.

Just don't understand how so many people assume there will an avalanche of Offer Sheets coming Chabot's way the second he's eligible to receive them ......... while Offer Sheets are still few and far between .............. look at the current crop of RFA's that are still unsigned ........ and as of today they are better NHLers than Chabot is, and will be a year from now ....... and none of them have received a single Offer sheet, other than Aho, who received a half-assed Offer Sheet that was quickly matched.

IF Chabot chooses to sign an offer sheet, he knows it will be matched by the Senators .......... so he would most likley not want to stir the pot, and work out a deal that is palatable to both sides, rather than signing one in the first place.

Much ado about nothing.
Point received an offersheet.
Aho recieved an offersheet.
Montreal sent out another offer sheet to an unnamed RFA that wasn't signed.

That's just from the Canadiens

Columbus were close to sending an offersheet to Winnipeg.

All the other RFA's are on tams with competent management and money.

The Sens are ripe for offersheet because thy have immediate money issues.

Why would it be automatically matched by the Sens?

Does Melnyk have the ability to match a 5 x 10.4 with 47 million in signing bonuses, 24 million in the first 12 months? What about 5 x 9.5 with 43 million in signing bonuses, 22 in the first 12 months? Both would return (2) 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Another well thought out post

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A RFA can receive an offer sheet, but they can choose not to sign it, as Point did.

Point wants to stay in Tampa, and I Believe Chabot wants to stay in Ottawa ........... and IF he decided to sign an offer sheet .... it's because he wants out.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Does he really? Do we even know if Eugene has the financial wherewithal to match an offer sheet that pays out $20+ million in signing bonuses in the first year? Can you please text him and ask him if has the cheese to do that?

We don't know what EMs financial situation is ......... but most people here assume he can't match an offer-sheet as described in this thread.

But don't let that stop all the baseless speculation.

Nitpicking

Reactions: Imperious Red

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We don't know what EMs financial situation is ......... but most people here assume he can't match an offer-sheet as described in this thread.

Nitpicking
Why would that stop the speculation? That's the reason for the speculation.

Baseless would indicate there have been no rumblings of money issues, unless that's what you intended...

You're not nitpicking anything, no clue why you keep saying that

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Nitpicking
There certainly not "baseless" speculation on Melnyk's finances. There's plenty to base the speculation on over recent years. No one can 100% confirm the situation but they can certainly draw a line between what has transpired here and his finances. From the player departures, the lack of financial support towards adding players in the offseason, constant cost cutting roster moves and a refusal to invest what was needed to develop Lebreton Flats, we know Melnyk can't support a competitive professional NHL team anymore. Doesn't take a financial guru to read the ticker tape to see how his investments haven't worked out .

Reactions: Rand0m and Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
A RFA can receive an offer sheet, but they can choose not to sign it, as Point did.

Point wants to stay in Tampa, and I Believe Chabot wants to stay in Ottawa ........... and IF he decided to sign an offer sheet .... it's because he wants out.

There is one thing that you do not understand.

Wanting to stay in Ottawa is one thing, but a player also needs to be offered a reasonable contract up to NHL standards including bonus structure which protects the player in the event of a lockout. Star players have bonus structured contracts in 2019, it's the norm everywhere across all other 30 teams

Aho accepted the Montreal offer sheet because he wanted the bonus structured contract that Montreal was offering, with the amount of years Aho was looking for and in the end he knew the Canes would likely match.

The difference with Ottawa is that we have no bonus structured contract, the ones we had have been traded away, or we avoided signing players who demanded it. Based on the history here, it would technically be a real possibility that we wouldn't sign Chabot if he demanded that type of bonus structured contract.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

What would be the reasons Chabot would want out of the organization if offered a market value contract, if you had to guess?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The thing is to sign him before the 1 july. I m pretty sure it s gonna happen

I don’t share your confidence, given the Senator’s recent “rebuild” activity which is a mascaraed for cost-cutting and resulting in lower ticket sales and revenues. The Senators GM says all the right things and then does the wrong things. I think Chabot probably grew up as a Habs fan and, like Tavares, dreamed about being a home-town player. Given these circumstances, I think there is a decent probability that MONTREAL or other deep-pocket team could submit an offer sheet with significant signing bonus and other features that the Senators would not match.

Time will tell the story.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any chance Sens are waiting until after Sept 15 to make their best pitch to Chabot

and on a different note

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I could see offer sheets taken out of the next round of contract negotiations between the NHL & the NHLPA. While the players probably love them since it increases their salaries substantially the GMs hate them because it makes their lives miserable & forces them to increase their offers to players as well as increasing their payroll not to mention the bad blood it creates between opposing GMs.

I'm not sure how creating animosity between organizations is good for the league in general, but until it is removed or changed that's the way it is & every organization has to be ready for it with their best players. It somehow feels wrong that the rich clubs would be allowed to poach the poorer teams in the NHL, however, until the rule is changed EM & PD will have to manage their affairs vigilantly, cautiously & intelligently. Okay, the last one intelligently is a misnomer, sorry.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Nitpicking

do you assume he could sign those offersheets? after what happend with Karlsson, Stone, Zibanejad, Duchene, Alfredsson, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ?

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I know there aren't a lot of stats to get excited about the Sens right now, but I found one that's kinda interesting. Among players in the league with under 50% raw CF%, the top three players (min 50 GP) in RelCorsi/60 last year were Brady Tkachuk, Thomas Chabot and Colin White. Next comes another depressing stat - Mika Zibanejad ranks fourth. But then Dylan DeMelo is fifth.

For those who math, that means because the Sens' average raw corsi was around 43%, by virtue of having raw corsi in the high 40s, Tkachuk was +6.0% (14.0/60), Chabot was +6.1% (13.6/60) and White was +3.4% (8.1/60).

I'm getting excited for this season to start. Those three will be handed the reigns and I'm intrigued to see what they do with it, particularly White and Tkachuk without Stone. I've been thinking about what would be the best possible case realistic scenario for the Sens this year.

I'd like to see Chabot continue to work on his defensive game and play upwards of 2:00 a game on the PK this year. He'll also get every opportunity to continue to improve on the powerplay, as everything runs through him now with Stone and Duchene gone. White and Tkachuk should improve on last season's offensive totals based on development and increased opportunity and responsibility, but I don't expect a drastic improvement because they'll also be the primary focus of opponents' defense now.

On the plus side, that should create a little bit of breathing room for Batherson, who I feel could be a legit Calder candidate. Brännström and Logan Brown will at least get some long looks I'm sure. I'll be worried about Brown if he doesn't see 30+ NHL games this year and he needs to be a point per game player when in the AHL. For Brännström I'd like to see monster minutes and at least 0.75 p/g in the AHL; upwards of 30 NHL games would be nice, but I'm not as worried about it as with Brown.

Some will argue that it would be a better case scenario for both to be in the NHL full-time this year, but I don't like the idea of pushing more kids than necessary into roles they aren't ready for and risk screwing with confidence and mentality. Force Brännström and Brown to prove themselves as not just very good, but elite players in the AHL before coming up, if that's what we hope they will be in the NHL someday.

On some level I'd like to see most of the kids stay down in Belleville and make a strong playoff push, learn how to be a team that believes they should win every night, not a pesky underdog. That's one of the things I like about the Veronneau and Davidsson additions - I don't have overly high hopes for them as prospects, but given their age and experience they could quickly earn depth roles in the NHL and help keep some of the higher upside prospects in the AHL longer.

We'll want to be pushing playing the veterans for the first half of the season, both to try to pump their value to trade before the deadline, and to let the kids slowly grow into bigger roles. Really hoping we can sign DeMelo and one of Tierney/Pageau, and then trade the other before the deadline. I mean I love both Pageau and Tierney, but can't imagine we sign both, and not even sure it would be practical if we could.

I also can't wait to see what Wolanin and Balcers can do with a full NHL season.

As some veterans are dealt, would be cool to see Högberg, Lajoie, Chlapik and Paul find their way onto the roster full-time.

And in the AHL, will be looking for solid rookie pro turns from Norris and Formenton, for Gustavsson to establish himself as a competent starter at that level, and for a big step forward offensively from Abramov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

You believe Chabot wants to stay in Ottawa???
Can you prove it with facts?

You have no idea what he wants

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think they can curb the rfa situations by stipulating that the 2nd contract cannot lead to the player being a ufa.

I mean...Montreal got played like a fiddle. Aho didn't give a crap about playing for Montreal, he wanted the 5 years that led him to ufa. All the unsigned ufas want that. Who wants to sign a 30 year old ufa when they can get a 26 or 27 year old?

And that could be the bone of contention that leads to a locking of horns imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->