McKenzie: Dorion, Brisson break bread on Duchene front

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Lol thanks on the avatar. Seen it a few times here. Makes me chuckle anyways.

Couldn’t tell you what Duchene will want as a UFA. Guessing? I’d say something with an 8 in it. Which to me is nuts. But someone might offer it.

I don’t know that Detroit would/should? be trying to sign him. Isn’t the tank on there? I know it blows but sucking for a few years there would go a long way. Duchene might actually win you games. That’s counterproductive!

Don’t think Boston could do anything with Backes even if they wanted to. I kind of hope he can still play. I like the guy. But he will never live up to that cap hit again.

Sadly, it's more of an unintentional tank, due to Kenny Holland's ineptitude with longterm/High $/NTC's to mediocre vets etc. (Howard, Abby, Ericsson & to a lesser extent Helm, DeKeyser).

Why did the B's part ways with Czarnik & Vatrano? Their young guns look pretty good. DeBrusk is a beaut. How long do you expect Chara to play? What are the plans for Krug when he's healthy?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You (sir/ma'am) have the best avatar ever, or at least top 5. A crying Crosby would've sealed it, with "Crysby" on the jersey.

I hope the Wings sign Duchene, do you think $6x5yrs would get it done? (If he puts up 50-55+pts this year) He'd be in a 1A/1B situation with Larkin. Nielsen doesn't seem upto be a 2C so far, but our D is running 4 rookies & our G's suck.

Veleno is at least 1 year away, but even if he makes it in 2019 (50/50%), he'd be a #3C at best. Athanasiou is not an NHL C, Blashill finally realized that after 5 games & 1 PP assist.

What do the Bruins plan to do with Backes?

I seem to remember Duchene wanting really badly to be on a winning team, no way he signs in Detroit

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If I’m Duchene, the only way I stay in Ottawa is if I was offered not a penny under what I’d make on July 1. As a 28 year old 1b/2a C or 1W, teams will be willing to give 6 years. If OTT is willing to give $7.5m+ (signing bonus heavy) over that term, it’d be tough to turn down. If not, it’d be really difficult to commit to that situation for, effectively, the remainder of your career.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I can't see Duchene staying in Ottawa with everything that happened in the summer. Maybe, if Ottawa is in a playoff position he's enticed.
Or he could be the stepping stone towards a better future. I mean, only up from here, right? RIGHT!?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I can only see Duchene staying if Ottawa makes the playoffs and its future looks half-decent (i.e. Chabot continues to look like a stud, Tkachuk has a great rookie season, White has a pretty good season, etc).

But if it's February and Duchene's unsigned, even if Ottawa's sitting in a playoff position, they HAVE to trade him IMO.

So I'd be surprised if he stays, because I think that would require him to spend the whole season with the team and then re-sign in May/June.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Why can Duchene sign any time, but Stone has to wait until July 1st?
Stone is eligible fire an extension on January first. The reason for this is, players are usually eligible for an extension 1 year before their contract expires, but when signed to a 1 year deal, it's just 6 more this to avoid teams from signing someone to a one year deal and immediately signing them to a lo game term deal afterwards, which would circumvent the 8 year maximum contract

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Lots of insiders in this thread. Who are your sources? Wish I had access like that.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Especially considering what's been going on with him the last couple years, to have the opportunity to choose where you go has to feel good.

I think he might surprise and want to stay, if he's actually comfortable in Ottawa. Given that he came from a bad situation in Denver, he might be the guy not looking for a grass is greener move as long as things are pretty reasonable in Ottawa compared to his last home.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
SENATORS CAN'T SIGN ANYONE. IT DOESN'T FIT WITH THE NARRATIVE!

Skkkrrreeeeeeeeee

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
All I know is that if he’s still here at the TDL unsigned he better be gone then. Surly they wouldn’t be stupid enough to pull a Tavares situation.... I hope not

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Best bet is Melnyk sells the team from not till January 1st and a new owner/management can work the Sens future beginning with the next TDL.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Pierre is going to feel like he needs to sign him. Duchene is probably worth 7.5-8 but could easily get 10 from the Sens.

I don't believe that Duchene is capable of getting 10 mil a year from anyone and Ottawa would be the last team to offer anything near that ...even if he was to discover a new cold fusion formula .

I do agree with the 7.5- 8 number over say 5-6 years

He could have a career year if Ottawa moves him quickly to somewhere like Winnipeg.

I think he would make a huge impact on that team right now and I can't think of a better fit.

Ottawa could get 2 -3 Pieces.

If they include Anderson it's an even better deal .

Ottawa should get what they can for anyone 25 or older and try to get in the Playoffs in the next 2-3 years.

It's very unlikely Duchene or Stone stay after losing EK65 and to a lesser extent Hoffman who was a really good winger for Duchene .

Put yourself in Duchenes skates it's been a hectic couple of years and this will probually be his last big contract, He owes Ottawa nothing.

He is just taking minutes from the influx of young guys right now,

They are playing well but realistically they are still a bottom 5 team.

I'd bet the farm teams like Winnipeg Carolina Nashville Calgary are and have been inquiring for a while .

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Lots of insiders in this thread. Who are your sources? Wish I had access like that.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. No one has any sources. How does anybody really know what Duchene wants to do?

His home town is not very far from Ottawa. Maybe that impacts his thinking.

What I see is a lot opinions with no real basis or foundation on anything and folks trying to pass it off as what they know will happen.

Reactions: branch

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Does Ottawa even want him? He doesn't seem to mesh particularly well, for 8.5 mil a year you'd want him to fit like a glove

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Duchene will finally get what he's always wanted in free agency, a big contract. Only problem is it won't be nearly as big as he dreamed of because he kind of sucks.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Both will sign. Stone will sign and become the captain and Duchene the alternate captain.

Sens have talented youth in Tkatchuk, Batherson, Formenton, Chlapik, White, Balcers, Chabot, Lajoie, etc. Majority of these guys will be nhl regulars and will be the base to support the Sens and help sway them into staying.

However, something has to be done with the defense. IMO they need a top 4 dman that can be a shutdown force and also need a replacement for Anderson after next year.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Does Ottawa even want him? He doesn't seem to mesh particularly well, for 8.5 mil a year you'd want him to fit like a glove

He meshes very well...do you watch the games? It looks like this is his team now. Everyone seems to like him. He has been a dynamic force every game so far...just a bit snakebit.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
He meshes very well...do you watch the games? It looks like this is his team now. Everyone seems to like him. He has been a dynamic force every game so far...just a bit snakebit.

So much this, I have been a big fan of his since the trade, his skating is amazing, his edge work and hockey IQ are clearly on display night in and night out. But what really stands out to me is not even his on ice play, but his ability to speak to the media and give interviews and provide insight on the team. He speaks like a captain, is articulate, shows confidence and no nervousness. IMO, sign him and give him the C. I know a lot of people would prefer Stone and I agree he should be part of the leadership but I just get a stronger Captain vibe from Matt then Mark.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So what would the asking price be from fans? I know with Hoffman and Karlsson the returns were....less than optimal....but what is it Ottawa needs most?

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
So what would the asking price be from fans? I know with Hoffman and Karlsson the returns were....less than optimal....but what is it Ottawa needs most?
as a rental he'll get a first and a meh prospect. nothing more than that. the usual rental price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->