McKenzie: Dorion, Brisson break bread on Duchene front

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Insider Trading: Dorion, Brisson break bread on Duchene front

“But what is interesting is that Brisson and Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion did break bread a little bit today, the obvious point of discussion there - and it’s very, very preliminary - is Matt Duchene’s future.
“He’s an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. He’s eligible for an extension anytime now, unlike Mark Stone, who can’t get one until January 1.
“The lines of communication are open - nothing more than that at this point.”
Duchene is in the final season of his five-year, $30 million contract and can test unrestricted free agent waters beginning with the late-June interview period, if he so chooses.
Stone, as McKenzie noted, won’t be eligible to sign an extension with the Senators until January because he’s on the one-year contract he signed in August.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'll be really surprised if Duchene doesn't wait and see what's out there in FA. When you're a top 6 center you have options.

Especially considering what's been going on with him the last couple years, to have the opportunity to choose where you go has to feel good.

Reactions: HabsQC

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Would like the Bruins to explore getting him at the TDL. Maybe by then Melnyk will realize he’s been sharting all over his players value in trades and smartens up a bit.

Or he will continue not wanting to upset the 10 people coming out to games after the deadline.

Could go either way here.

I’m sure Doug Wilson has a 5th rounder ready just in case.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Duchene would be a complete fool to stick around in Ottawa.

He knows he will neither be on a cup competitive team there for the duration of however long they would sign him for and he also knows he will not be getting a fair or market value contract from Melnyk

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
July 1, 2019

giphy.gif

Reactions: The Big D

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Trade him at the deadline. He is going to ask for way too much. He thinks he is better then his stats for some reason.
Plus didnt he say he only wants to play for a good team?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The market is already set at 8x8. It just comes down to whether Ottawa wants to (or is able to) pay him, and whether Duchene wants to stay

I could see signing bonuses being a major hurdle. Maybe the Sens have to overpay on the AAV a bit to make up for no or few signing bonuses.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I'm in the camp that wouldn't be surprised to see both Duchesne and Stone stay. Big fish, in a small pond has a lot of benefits.

Also, the NHL is a young man's game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa competitive sooner than most expect with their roster turn over.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The market is already set at 8x8. It just comes down to whether Ottawa wants to (or is able to) pay him, and whether Duchene wants to stay

I could see signing bonuses being a major hurdle. Maybe the Sens have to overpay on the AAV a bit to make up for no or few signing bonuses.

Th'ts the problem the guy has got over 60 points once. He is not worth 8 at all. You can call the sens cheap when they dont give him 8, but unless he has a huge year he is worth 6 maybe 7 now that the cap is huge.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Sharks will probably go after him. Just becauswe they have an unsigned EK, doesn't mean they wont be needing a retool at Joe Thorntons position when god knows when.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Th'ts the problem the guy has got over 60 points once. He is not worth 8 at all. You can call the sens cheap when they dont give him 8, but unless he has a huge year he is worth 6 maybe 7 now that the cap is huge.

Evander Kane just signed for 7.

An older Stastny 6.5.

Pacioretty 7.

JVR 7.

Couture and Johansen who are C's both 8. Seguin 9.75.

There are lots of similar or less productive wingers signing in the 7 range. There's a huge premium in both term and AAV for centers because they are so difficult to get.

I agree that given where the Sens are at, an 8x8 commitment might not be wise, but I think it's pretty clear that the market puts Duchene somewhere around that number.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Would like the Bruins to explore getting him at the TDL. Maybe by then Melnyk will realize he’s been sharting all over his players value in trades and smartens up a bit.

Or he will continue not wanting to upset the 10 people coming out to games after the deadline.

Could go either way here.

I’m sure Doug Wilson has a 5th rounder ready just in case.

You (sir/ma'am) have the best avatar ever, or at least top 5. A crying Crosby would've sealed it, with "Crysby" on the jersey.

I hope the Wings sign Duchene, do you think $6x5yrs would get it done? (If he puts up 50-55+pts this year) He'd be in a 1A/1B situation with Larkin. Nielsen doesn't seem upto be a 2C so far, but our D is running 4 rookies & our G's suck.

Veleno is at least 1 year away, but even if he makes it in 2019 (50/50%), he'd be a #3C at best. Athanasiou is not an NHL C, Blashill finally realized that after 5 games & 1 PP assist.

What do the Bruins plan to do with Backes?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
You (sir/ma'am) have the best avatar ever, or at least top 5. A crying Crosby would've sealed it, with "Crysby" on the jersey.

I hope the Wings sign Duchene, do you think $6x5yrs would get it done? (If he puts up 50-55+pts this year) He'd be in a 1A/1B situation with Larkin. Nielsen doesn't seem upto be a 2C so far, but our D is running 4 rookies & our G's suck.

Veleno is at least 1 year away, but even if he makes it in 2019 (50/50%), he'd be a #3C at best. Athanasiou is not an NHL C, Blashill finally realized that after 5 games & 1 PP assist.

Lol thanks on the avatar. Seen it a few times here. Makes me chuckle anyways.

Couldn’t tell you what Duchene will want as a UFA. Guessing? I’d say something with an 8 in it. Which to me is nuts. But someone might offer it.

I don’t know that Detroit would/should? be trying to sign him. Isn’t the tank on there? I know it blows but sucking for a few years there would go a long way. Duchene might actually win you games. That’s counterproductive!

Don’t think Boston could do anything with Backes even if they wanted to. I kind of hope he can still play. I like the guy. But he will never live up to that cap hit again.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Duchene easily gets a longer deal with a higher number from a better team. No way he lands in Detroit

lawrence

May 19, 2012
even if Ottawa has a good season I can see him exploring UFA as an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad