Management Dorion best moves

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
Dzingel trade was a beaut. I like what he recouped for Brassard, but that doesn't negate the cost we acquired him for. I'd still rather Zibby, 2nd (33rd) and 3rd over Gustavsson, Cole, 1st (26th) and a 3rd. Nilsson has been well worth the price.

It could well be a happy coincidence that he cuts bait at opportune times, but even the best lean on a bit of good luck. Stone aside, I don't think we've missed much walking away from the guys that we have.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Too many to list, but here we go...

#1 - Karlsson trade. We walked away with a fantastic haul. This has the potential to be one of the most lopsided mega trades in NHL history, up there with the likes of Forsberg-Lindros. My god... In some ways lucky. I don't think anyone expected DeMelo to go from a unqualified RFA to a steady 4/5 presence. I also don't think we expected Norris to be this good this fast (although this is Dorion we're talking about here, so who knows). But one way it was not lucky was the 1st round pick. It was not lottery protected, it was lottery boosted. We just needed San Jose to miss the playoffs once in 2018-19 or 2019-20 in order to get a lottery pick. He absolutely stacked the deck in his favour with the conditions on that pick. It was not hard to imagine a declining team with an old core like this to miss the playoffs at least once in those two seasons, as I correctly predicted shortly after the trade.

#2 - Dzingel trade. Good lord... We walked away with a 20+ goal scorer and two 2nd round picks for a rental who was healthy scratched in the playoffs just a couple months later.

#3 - Brassard to Pittsburgh trade. We got a 1st(JBD), 2nd(Tychonik), 3rd(used in Zaitsev/Ceci trade) and Gustavsson out of this. This trade proved that Dorion is a master of the 3 way trade. It was so brilliant and clever that the NHL initially rejected this trade because they thought he was circumventing the cap. Brassard was eventually traded for a 3rd round pick a mere season later.

So many of his small trades were fantastic too:

#4 - Nilsson trade. We basically got our starter for next season for a 6th round pick and the privilege of taking Pyatt off our hands. What's not to like?

#5 - Anisimov trade. We got the cheaper player, who is on a 20+ goal pace for Smith who is worse and more expensive. Simple but effective.

#6 - Zaitsev/Brown trade. Everyone seems to forget we got Connor Brown out of this trade. He's good player who scored 20 as a rookie and is finding his touch again this season now that he's not buried on the 4th line. We also got the better of the two defensemen.

#7 - Condon. He saved our 2016-17 season.

Most importantly, the best moves Dorion has made is cutting loose players right before they decline. We dodged a massive bullet refused to give Turris a lengthy deal. We dodged another one when he unloaded Brassard when he did. Same with Phaneuf. We got Formenton for Lazar.

At this point, he's fleeced so many GMs that I worry nobody wants to trade with him anymore.

Swiftwin i gotta say man....generally I'm one of the more positive guys on the board....but you've got me beat hands down

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The best trade this GM ever makes could be the Karlsson deal which keeps on giving & not just giving, but with quality players & picks too.

You know, the way so many guys on here are flipping opinions on this deal ... god damn i might just end up on the side of the majority for once

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Swiften i gotta say man....generally I'm one of the more positive guys on the board....but you've got me beat hands down

haha! It’s just getting annoying all the negativity. I’m usually positive and in here I’m mostly positive but man some people here are so negative it’s unbelievable.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
haha! It’s just getting annoying all the negativity. I’m usually positive and in here I’m mostly positive but man some people here are so negative it’s unbelievable.

Meh .... that's human nature

There are people that view a half glass of water as being half full and others that view it as half empty

A lot of guys here have some negative thoughts and it gives you pause to reflect on your own thinking. I'm good with that

What i struggle with is the guys that view a half glass of water as an empty cup

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Meh .... that's human nature

There are people that view a half glass of water as being half full and others that view it as half empty

A lot of guys here have some negative thoughts and it gives you pause to reflect on your own thinking. I'm good with that

What i struggle with is the guys that view a half glass of water as an empty cup

i feel you! Some of them even if the trade is good always see it as a bad one it’s getting old pretty fast...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
1. EK out
2. Brassard out
3. Duschene out*
4. Dzingle out

*idea of signing him at $8x8 would hav been crippling.

Reactions: little BiG

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sweet thread! Swift and Mat already posted what I like.

Man, SJ came so close to owning us another 1st as well had they made the finals. Could you guys imagine also having SJ‘S next years first as well!?!

Reactions: Matsens15

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Sweet thread! Swift and Mat already posted what I like.

Man, SJ came so close to owning us another 1st as well had they made the finals. Could you guys imagine also having SJ‘S next years first as well!?!

that would of been 25 years of prison for Dorion for robbery!!!!

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Well as a contrast to the other post we can discuss his BEST moves here.

- Brassard trade (JBD+Gustavsson+Tychonick+3rd rd pick from Ian cole)

- Dzingel trade (Duclair+2 2nds)

-Karlsson trade (2020 1st, Norris, Balcers, Tierney, Sogaard, 2021 2nd, 2020 3rd)

- Namestnikov vs ebert and a 2021 4th

- Condon trade vs a 5th pick

-pyatt vs Nilsson

- Smith vs Anisimov

-Curtis Lazar vs 2nd pick(Alex Formenton)

-Mike Rielly vs a 5th

-Ceci and Harpur vs C.Brown and Zaitsev

if I am missing some let me know
I would wager that the original trade to get Brassard was pretty horrible, regardless of the outcome. Dzingel to columbus for me is probably the best one so far. San Jose being unexpectedly bad and dealing with several season ending injuries to key players is more luck on Dorions part than anything, kinda like how we got unlucky with the Duchene trade.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I would wager that the original trade to get Brassard was pretty horrible, regardless of the outcome. Dzingel to columbus for me is probably the best one so far. San Jose being unexpectedly bad and dealing with several season ending injuries to key players is more luck on Dorions part than anything, kinda like how we got unlucky with the Duchene trade.

You think it’s luck EK is injured again? Sharks fans were up in arms when people suggested EK will be hurt all the time and after 2 years he has been rendered useless from injuries both years.
Knowing that the Sharks would have to spend 11 million on EK and having some key players being well aged and on the way out the door plus being looted of most their draft picks and prospects over the last couple years I am going to say it was more than just blind luck

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There's a lot of caveats BUT the Karlsson trade has the potential to be an all-time homerun for us if that San Jose first rounder ends up as one of the top 2 picks. On it's own, Karlsson for Lafreniere or Byfield would be a pretty quality trade. Adding Norris, Balcers and two solid depth pieces like Tierney and Demelo (now traded) could make this one of the all time most lopsided trades in NHL history. Norris alone looks to be one of the great upcoming prospects. It's an exciting trade that is slowly turning around a truly shit circumstance (having to trade Karlsson).

Reactions: JD1

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You think it’s luck EK is injured again? Sharks fans were up in arms when people suggested EK will be hurt all the time and after 2 years he has been rendered useless from injuries both years.
Knowing that the Sharks would have to spend 11 million on EK and having some key players being well aged and on the way out the door plus being looted of most their draft picks and prospects over the last couple years I am going to say it was more than just blind luck

Despite Karlssons injuries, he has been one of the better sharks this year and he was their leading scorer until he broke his thumb. I think its unlucky that the majority of San Jose's top 6 forwards have had season ending injuries this year, and their roster as it currently stands is as bad as ours if not worse. Its not dissimilar to the original Duchene trade that ended up backfiring on us.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's a lot of caveats BUT the Karlsson trade has the potential to be an all-time homerun for us if that San Jose first rounder ends up as one of the top 2 picks. On it's own, Karlsson for Lafreniere or Byfield would be a pretty quality trade. Adding Norris, Balcers and two solid depth pieces like Tierney and Demelo (now traded) could make this one of the all time most lopsided trades in NHL history. Norris alone looks to be one of the great upcoming prospects. It's an exciting trade that is slowly turning around a truly shit circumstance (having to trade Karlsson).

It has potential to be Yashin for Spezza part 2 in terms of what we get and where the other player trends while signed to an expensive contract.

A lot of that is hindsight though and it is dependent on Karlsson never being injury free again, which isn't a given. If you asked Dorion at the time of the deal if Norris would be one of the hottest NHL affiliated prospects in hockey and if the pick would be trending to the top 5 with a great shot at Lafreniere, if he is sane be would have laughed at you.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It has potential to be Yashin for Spezza part 2 in terms of what we get and where the other player trends while signed to an expensive contract.

A lot of that is hindsight though and it is dependent on Karlsson never being injury free again, which isn't a given. If you asked Dorion at the time of the deal if Norris would be one of the hottest NHL affiliated prospects in hockey and if the pick would be trending to the top 5 with a great shot at Lafreniere, if he is sane be would have laughed at you.

At the time of the deal I told you all that Josh was a great prospect and one of the best players the USA had to offer the NHL in his age group, how he turns out in the end is still up in the air but I am sure they knew that they targeted a very good player.
As for the rest your getting a little carried away with trying to make this trade look like a fluke. I also told everyone at the time it was a very good trade extra extra good return for a UFA, weird how that works. I don’t see anyone admitting they were wrong, now it’s just “luck” and bending things to prove it was a fluke.
Everyone sure talks about Sakic bending us over, I see zero talk about us bending them over.
Dorion seems to know how to rebuild and so far he is doing a hell of a good job, if the budget and old EM get in the way I will feel bad for him but I am sure other owners are taking notes and will give him a rebuild shot if they get the chance

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
At the time of the deal I told you all that Josh was a great prospect and one of the best players the USA had to offer the NHL in his age group, how he turns out in the end is still up in the air but I am sure they knew that they targeted a very good player.
As for the rest your getting a little carried away with trying to make this trade look like a fluke. I also told everyone at the time it was a very good trade extra extra good return for a UFA, weird how that works. I don’t see anyone admitting they were wrong, now it’s just “luck” and bending things to prove it was a fluke.
Everyone sure talks about Sakic bending us over, I see zero talk about us bending them over.
Dorion seems to know how to rebuild and so far he is doing a hell of a good job, if the budget and old EM get in the way I will feel bad for him but I am sure other owners are taking notes and will give him a rebuild shot if they get the chance

Go back and read "takes" from prominent analysts as well as fans on message boards. Your take was in the extreme minority.

Whether the trade has worked out amazingly, which even the biggest Karlsson fans will now admit, does not change that reality.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Go back and read "takes" from prominent analysts as well as fans on message boards. Your take was in the extreme minority.

Whether the trade has worked out amazingly, which even the biggest Karlsson fans will now admit, does not change that reality.

Well I based it off what I saw, I saw a UFA fetch two middle NHL players a couple of solid prospects and some nice draft picks adds.
“Analysts” are the same as the news these days all they do is talk to their base and sell them what they want to hear. And fans that are but hurt they lost EK will not look at what they got nor will most even understand who these so called prospects are
But anyone who looked at that trade and didn’t see a massive haul for a UFA has zero business being an analysts.
Almost everyone you see on tv is an actor and they don’t actually draft and follow players. Same with most sports writers.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I was very keen to see how the trade would pan out, and am very stoked.

PD did an excellent job with all of the conditional picks, especially having basically two cracks at the lottery. Also, he made sure that EK would not be traded to the East.

PD didn’t know where the picks would end up, or how good Norris would end up being in the AHL, but he obviously liked the two prospects, and the two players.

Most importantly, our GM put us in a position to clean up with this trade, and the fact that it looks like each piece is better than expected is absolutely credit due him.

In the end, a trade for picks, prospects, and reclamation projects can’t ever be evaluated at the time of the deal, at least not fairly. Given that it was EK traded, it was never going to look or feel good initially when feelings were raw.

Now that the assets on our end have started to flesh out, we can start to see just how good the deal was for us, regardless of what has happened with EK. It was a fantastic trade at the time, we just had to give it a bit of time.

We don’t have to be scared to give our GM props to the same magnitude to which people roasted him for Duchene, and this deal is shaping up to even be better than Sakic’s deal.

The rebuild is looking really good right now, from our prospects, to our stock of picks, to our coaching staffs at both levels and the development that’s happening. The culture, and the play style has been awesome to see. We are known throughout the league as being very hard to play against, and have been in most of our games this year despite being a bottom team early in the rebuild. That is the legacy of our general manager rebuilding this team.

Reactions: Matsens15

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dorions greatest move of all was to not handcuff our team for the next 8 years by signing a group of aging star free agent players. A group that had already failed miserably before and had poor chemistry.

That money is needed for the young star RFAs in the new NHL. Paying that kind of money to a player who will be over 30 for the majority of the contract isnt a good idea imo.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
best

draft - tkachuk..

dzingel trade

brassard trade

worst

1. draft colin white ahead travic konecny ( i dont say boeser, because travis playing ottawa in this moment)

2. zibas trade

3. hoffs trade

p.s also duchenes not good both.. and eriks trade was not good .. but turns very good..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad