News: Dorion and Dubas talking Potential Trade

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Nylander’s contract is fair and could look really good if the cap is much higher in the later years of it. I don’t think the Leafs keeping him was the best use of their cap space right now though

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If they plan on buying him out they can’t wait that long. The buyout period ends before Marleau’s bonus gets paid.
Leafs retain 40% on Marleau, they rise to meet cap floor and it only cost the Sens somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2m real dollars

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Lol....Toronto structured that deal the way they did because it's the only way in a cap system that the can use their wealth as a tool. They don't care about paying actual cash up front, they did it because now Nylander's actual salary owed per year is sub 5 million. That makes that contract attractive to budget teams which adds value in a future trade.

I'm looking at his capfriendly profile. They lay it out as 6.962 million for the next 5 seasons. His cap hit is 6.962 for the next 5 seasons.

Don't kid yourself. A lot of people in the organization care about cash up front. They just don't burn money like you think.

lukeleim

Dec 1, 2009
Calgary
Patrick Marleau, Kasperi Kapanen and Garret Sparks for Mike Condon, Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Senators' third-round draft pick of 2019.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Patrick Marleau, Kasperi Kapanen and Garret Sparks for Mike Condon, Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Senators' third-round draft pick of 2019.
Mmmmmmmmmmm
No. Marleau + Kappy for us to buyout is about fair, and JGP will cost you a 2020 1st min. Cause Sens fans and Dorion love him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
My guess is marleau for smith and each buyout.

Smith would be 1.083 I think for 4 years. Would save Ottawa about 500 k.

Last resort for to

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm looking at his capfriendly profile. They lay it out as 6.962 million for the next 5 seasons. His cap hit is 6.962 for the next 5 seasons.

Don't kid yourself. A lot of people in the organization care about cash up front. They just don't burn money like you think.
Yes, his cap is 6.962...but some teams concern themselves with actual cash as well, so after his bonus is paid on July 1st, his actual salary is not 6.962.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
My guess would be that the Sens were in on Marleau but Melnyk wouldn't go for it. There would be over 4 million owed with a buyout. Granted, it would be against a 6.25M cap hit, but the Senators probably have cheaper avenues to hit the floor.

The smart thing to do would be to move out a 4M type player to make the room for Marleau's buyout, but I think Melnyk wouldn't go for that either because he wants the team to "compete" for a playoff spot. Dorion has openly said, that's the stage the team is expected to be at, competing for a playoff spot. I think it is delusional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad